Great Latics debuts & instant cult heroes....

2 hours ago, OldHallam said:

Some argumentative folk on here .;-) .. lol. Could of sworn I mentioned his 91 goals. By those not fortunate to have seen him play. Taught lots of kids who simply have heard of Groves, Stainrod, Palmer, even Wylde and Fryatt but you mention Shaw and its a who? 

Is this the right room for an argument..

i would have have thought that anyone who remembers Fryatt would also remember Shaw - just goes to show, kids huh? ?

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I thought that was at Notts County after dribbling round their keeper and putting it wide.

Three a photo somewhere of him searching for his contact lense.

He did miss a lot even with them in though.

Can remember him in one home game giving a centre half ten yards start to a through ball from my favourite player at the time Alan McNeill. As the defender looked round at him he eased off only to put a spurt on, beat the player to the ball and crash it miles over the bar. Was a great time to watch Latics after struggling in the 4th Division for several years as literally goals came from all over the pitch. I still see Keith Bebbington, who looks about ten years younger than he actually is, for a chat at Belle Vue dogs.

31 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Can remember him in one home game giving a centre half ten yards start to a through ball from my favourite player at the time Alan McNeill. As the defender looked round at him he eased off only to put a spurt on, beat the player to the ball and crash it miles over the bar. Was a great time to watch Latics after struggling in the 4th Division for several years as literally goals came from all over the pitch. I still see Keith Bebbington, who looks about ten years younger than he actually is, for a chat at Belle Vue dogs.

A proper winger was Bebbington, as was John Colqhoun..no tracking back for them, just get at defences fire in crosses and score some goals.

Another brilliant winger was Colin Whittaker.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

^ This. Thought Royle had pulled it off again after Milligan had jumped ship for the 2nd time.....

Yeah. To be fair I think he did okay for his first season with a few other good goals (from memory) but he wasn't great. If you look back we still had a good team at the start of the 94/95 season with Sharp, Gerrard, Ritchie, Jobson, Richardson etc. Think we were bit unlucky in a couple of matches early on but then Royle left and it was Goodnight Vienna....

On 27/09/2017 at 12:35 PM, oafcshuck said:

Kilkenny and Croft?

Barnsley 3-2?

Dont remember Barnsley at home did Michael Hughes score on first 5min or something? but Bradford away was something special.

Edited by Forte_Baby

21 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Mentioned it on here previously and although he never quite reached cult status, Adrian Littlejohn at home to Watford sticks in the memory. Tipton's goal on his debut (think it was Wrexham) was a beaut an all.

Pretty sure Tipton's winner against Wrexham wasn't on his debut...

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He made his debut in a 2-2 draw with Colchester and hardly covered himself in glory...

Ok, but still a cult hero in his own right. Gave it everything, created rapport with the fans. (Yes I aknowledge it says greatest debuts, I'll go back into my darkened corner) 

Luke Beckett v Luton, March ‘05 first time we had a striker anticipate and sniff out a goal since McCarthy....

Tommy Wright v Portsmouth Nov ‘86

Neil Adams v Barnsley Jan ‘89 lost 3-4 and in a horrible run but he was superb that day. 

Big Clyde at home to Tranmere Aug ‘02

24 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

Yes it was, from a great cross from Bradley Diallo.

...who was also making his full debut IIRC and looked great until getting himself sent off for a reckless lunge. Like the aforementioned Rob Scott, never lived up to his debut. 

1 hour ago, Stevie_J said:

...who was also making his full debut IIRC and looked great until getting himself sent off for a reckless lunge. Like the aforementioned Rob Scott, never lived up to his debut. 

I agree, thought we had a good player on our hands but he was average after that.