Great Latics debuts & instant cult heroes....

16 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

Neil Adams v Barnsley Jan ‘89 lost 3-4 and in a horrible run but he was superb that day. 

Was that away? I remember standing on the open terrace at Oakwell with my dad on a freezing cold day.... we lost by the same score line when David Currie scored a hat trick for them.

Yes it was at Oakwell mate ‘The Enforcer’ made his debut that day too.

those two and Hallworth signing a couple of weeks later along with Ritchie, Bunn and Wright returning from injury over the coming weeks saw us to safety. It was more a case of out scoring the opposition as we couldn’t defend for shit that year! 

From Jan 21st ‘89

Barnsley L3-4 

Watford W3-1

Stoke D0-0

Brighton W2-1

Chelsea 2-2

Bournemouth 2-2

Shrewsbury W3-0

Walsall 2-2

Portsmouth 5-3

Oxford D1-1

Blackburn D1-1

WBA L1-3

Bradford D1-1

Ipswich W4-0

Palace L0-2

Sunderland 2-2

Hull D1-1

Plymouth 2-2

Leeds D0-0

Leicester W2-1

Swindon 2-2

P21 W6 D12 L3 F39 A31 

Edited by oafcprozac

48 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

The quiet before the storm of 89/90.... and to think I was gutted when Tommy Wright left for Leicester just before the start of the season.... away to Blackburn of all places.

Was a poor start too...

Blackburn A L0-1

Watford D1-1

Swindon D2-2 (Was 0-2 down late on)

Newcastle L1-2 

little did we know when we beat Plymouth 3-2 with a pretty unconvincing performance in front of 4,972 what was coming round the corner. By FAC 3rd round round that we’d lose 4 out of the next 25 league and cup, be in the 1/4s of the LC and the FAC adventure yet to begin. It shows suddenly it clicks. The only addition was Holden R replacing Wright and signing Adams permanently then moving Barrett inside from LB, Barlow staying fit after being injured mostly in his first 4 or 5 years. Warhurst slotting in for Holden and N Henry replacing the departed Kelly permanently.

Marshall was increasingly sub until Joe moved him forward around the time of the Arsenal game.

Edited by oafcprozac
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Shaw was indeed magnificent. I was standing in the chaddy That Tuesday night on his second debut. Iirc, all his goals came in the first half in front of the chaddy and but for the post, would have had 4.

Damn those posts, I never understood why they were there anyway. 

On 2/5/2018 at 8:43 PM, oafcprozac said:

Yes it was at Oakwell mate ‘The Enforcer’ made his debut that day too.

those two and Hallworth signing a couple of weeks later along with Ritchie, Bunn and Wright returning from injury over the coming weeks saw us to safety. It was more a case of out scoring the opposition as we couldn’t defend for shit that year! 

From Jan 21st ‘89

Barnsley L3-4 

Watford W3-1

Stoke D0-0

Brighton W2-1

Chelsea 2-2

Bournemouth 2-2

Shrewsbury W3-0

Walsall 2-2

Portsmouth 5-3

Oxford D1-1

Blackburn D1-1

WBA L1-3

Bradford D1-1

Ipswich W4-0

Palace L0-2

Sunderland 2-2

Hull D1-1

Plymouth 2-2

Leeds D0-0

Leicester W2-1

Swindon 2-2

P21 W6 D12 L3 F39 A31 

That 5-3 v Pompey was my first match. Cold Tuesday night, plastic pitch, loads of goals...I was hooked! 

Been plenty of water under the bridge since then...

Edited by perfectOzblue

1 hour ago, oafcprozac said:

5-0 up with less than 19 minutes left!

repeated the feat 3 1/2 years later in the Prem against Forest! Couldn’t defend for toffee but a joy to watch when going forward..

Didn't Guy Whittingham get a hat trick in those 19 mins?

Can anyone remember if Bruce Grobelaar's home debut was preceded by a warm-up and hitting the Chaddy End crossbar from outside the box with 3 shots out 3?                                                                                                

51 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Can anyone remember if Bruce Grobelaar's home debut was preceded by a warm-up and hitting the Chaddy End crossbar from outside the box with 3 shots out 3?                                                                                                

That’s rings a bell

1 hour ago, mikejh45 said:

I can vaguely remember his warm up was taking penalties trying to hit the post rather than the crossbar. I only remember him seeing him play that 1 game against Burnley when we drew 3-3. He was pretty shit and I got my first glimpse of what Burnley fans were like. I.e. the type of men who eat Bananas with their feet and attempt to breed with vegetables.

Edited by GlossopLatic

9 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Does he win the worst Latics player ever award?

Hes certainly got a seat at the top table for worst player others include the likes of Phil Starbuck. Rocket Ronnie Jepson Kiegan Parker, Joe Colbeck, Dean Brill and Warren Feeney amongst a long line of others who I've forgotten about that itself is a thread on its own.

Edited by GlossopLatic