Forgotten Heroes

I can't post pics but there's a few from that dark period - Allott, Rickers, Holt, McNiven.  Admittedly lower ability than other players we've had prior and since but in that period each played well for us.  Heading the pack - Duxbury

26 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

As mentioned. 248 games for the club. Hero.

aug-2000-lee-duxbury-of-oldham-athletic-

Cheers. I could go on... David Eyres.  Not only a hero but a legend in my eyes.

edit - and I loved that shirt!

Edited by Midsblue

C7jeZ8NXUAEi07p.jpg

The Mighty Quinn

34 goals in 80 games for us and was sent packing, oh how good we had it in those days that we could just dump a player like that because he upset the manager. He then went on to score 113 goals in 231 games for Newcastle and Portsmouth most of them in the top division. He would be worth more than the whole football club and ground these days.

On 12/10/2017 at 6:38 AM, Stagger Lee said:

C7jeZ8NXUAEi07p.jpg

The Mighty Quinn

34 goals in 80 games for us and was sent packing, oh how good we had it in those days that we could just dump a player like that because he upset the manager. He then went on to score 113 goals in 231 games for Newcastle and Portsmouth most of them in the top division. He would be worth more than the whole football club and ground these days.

Didn’t exactly send him packing we needed the money as per and Big Ron was an ample replacement 

4 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Complete short arse but kept us in more games than I can remember. Two games against City stand out and saved pens in each. His late save from a FK at Maine Road in ‘99 was world class (Cooke?) 

B1482D9C-FDF6-444D-8B72-5C5E8057E409.jpeg

Indeed, although it's not fair for you to post in here Prozac given your Encyclopaedic knowledge of Oldham (I.e. They aren't forgotten for you).

FWIW the penalty at City was Robert Taylor.

When i think back to that squad Ritchie had when he became manager, he worked abseloute miracles because they were all abseloute toss when you delve into it......Miskelly, Hotte, Swan, Rickers, Tipton etc.....id be worried if that was our reserve team these days 

11 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Indeed, although it's not fair for you to post in here Prozac given your Encyclopaedic knowledge of Oldham (I.e. They aren't forgotten for you).

FWIW the penalty at City was Robert Taylor.

That’s why I bunged Tony Henry in there yeah I know it was Taylor - Gareth actually snatched the ball off Horlock their regular taker. I was on about an injury time wonder save from a Terry Cooke Free kick. 

On 10/12/2017 at 6:38 AM, Stagger Lee said:

C7jeZ8NXUAEi07p.jpg

The Mighty Quinn

To be fair Quinny wanted to play in the top flight and Portsmouth paid us 125 k,  Royle and Quinny got on well.

Andy Liddell

Often gets over looked for teams of the past 20 years due to Eyres and Taylor- hence forgotten

His crossing ability is still some of the best I've seen in this league.

His 100% (I think) record from the spot for us is also noteworthy.

IMG_0600.JPG

Paul Warne worth a mention? He's a player who always gave it his all, scored some vital goals and was genuinely upset to the point of tears when he was let go. I'd say that fits the forgotten hero brief.

Or Lee Richardson? If we'd have signed 1-2 more that possessed his talent we might have hung around the second flight a lot longer. Maybe even have got back up? Genuine quality.

Gunner Halle too. Signed ahead of the fantastic Championship-winning season and stayed with us until we were quite certainly on our arse. Aside from Nick Henry, there weren't many that stayed around as long as that and all the while were as consistent as you'd get. You'd name many memorable players from that era ahead of Gunner but for me he was just as important.