Forgotten Heroes

56 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Related image

Something good about this picture that I like, nostalgia. TC and DE. Two triers and CC19. 

Plus that kit was superb. 

For me too - it encapsulates what following a team like Latics is all about - decent lower league players who were ours, if only for a short time. So many memories triggered by a simple photograph.

Cheers for this ?

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:55 AM, ghostofcecere said:

Didn’t he miss a sitter that would have put us one up against Chelsea at hone in the cup? 

I could be wrong on this bit, I think Whitehall turned Desailly in the penalty box and could have had a clear shot if Desailly hadn't embarrassingly fallen over and the ref, Paul "Pickled" Durkin, hadn't blown for a very dodgy foul. I thought at the time..."Soft French Tart"......not like our present Frenchies.

Anybody else remember the ketchup soaked, half eaten sausage roll lobbed (very accurately I might add) at Durkin.....he felt his head and saw what he thought was blood and almost fainted?

5 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

I could be wrong on this bit, I think Whitehall turned Desailly in the penalty box and could have had a clear shot if Desailly hadn't embarrassingly fallen over and the ref, Paul "Pickled" Durkin, hadn't blown for a very dodgy foul. I thought at the time..."Soft French Tart"......not like our present Frenchies.

Anybody else remember the ketchup soaked, half eaten sausage roll lobbed (very accurately I might add) at Durkin.....he felt his head and saw what he thought was blood and almost fainted?

They win 2-0? I don't remember much if anything of the game to be fair

Edited by mcfluff1985

4 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

Yes it finished 2-0 courtesy of a late brace from Vialli. Garnett had marked him out of the game until he had to be subbed due to injury.

Never got a ticket for this game as it sold out before I could get one the club didnt let on until it had sold out. Irked me that, I had a season ticket aswell that season and was served up some right dross. 

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

For me too - it encapsulates what following a team like Latics is all about - decent lower league players who were ours, if only for a short time. So many memories triggered by a simple photograph.

Cheers for this ?

True but going back this lot actually were ours for alot longer than anyone usually stays these days!

2 hours ago, johnafoafc said:

Yes it finished 2-0 courtesy of a late brace from Vialli. Garnett had marked him out of the game until he had to be subbed due to injury.

Probably the most English non-English centre forward the game has ever seen. Vialli epitomised the role in its purest form. Marked out of the game for seventy odd minutes but never stopped.

Then bang! Bang! As Ramstein would say.

1 hour ago, L1onheartNew said:

Probably the most English non-English centre forward the game has ever seen. Vialli epitomised the role in its purest form. Marked out of the game for seventy odd minutes but never stopped.

Then bang! Bang! As Ramstein would say.

Agreed…… I remember Paul Reid giving him a proper kicking and he just got up and carried on...….proper footballer not like Desailly.

3 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Other big names who made their debut v us: Gary Lineker, Eric Cantona...any more?

Kyle walker played his first game in professional football against us in 2009 on loan at Northampton a game we won 2-1 with Windass scoring from a corner.

James Maddison made his professional debut for Coventry and scored the night we beat Coventry 4-1 in 2014 under Lee Johnson Forte scored a couole for us that night.

32 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

According to Soccerbase Windass scored 200 league goals. His last one was against Northampton in the aforementioned game.

I’d trust Soccerbase over Wiki.

I think he's on magic sponge podcast and someone says 198 and he says definitely 200. Great listen if you've not heard before. Comedy gold with bullard