Forgotten Heroes

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Gunner Halle too. Signed ahead of the fantastic Championship-winning season and stayed with us until we were quite certainly on our arse. 

Gunnar (!) signed up ahead of our first season back in the top flight.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, oafcshuck said:

Reading another thread, came across this year. To many a young fan, we grew up watching him, Allott, Tipton and Dudley. Now working in the NHS. Scored some key goals in relation to us remaining in this division back in the day.

oldhamsteve-whitehall-g4nfn5.jpg

I grew up watching them, who is that?

15 minutes ago, RoytonLatics said:

Steve Whitehall, absolute leg-end!!!

I’d say he was a Rochdale Legend, took the step up a division and didn’t really make it but I do recall one incident.

Ball was in the opposition box but came to nothing as the keeper caught it and old Stevie was behind him.

He then jogged behind the keeper and then back up field - and in the process diverted his run slightly to stamp on the keepers water bottle popping the lid of and wasting the contents.

Might have been Wrexham away in the late 90s.

Odd funny / spiteful moment, but my main memory of Whitehall.

Back to the OT “forgotten heroes” is an unclear category.

Forgotten because they were a long time ago? Or because they were god but were not part of a successful period which would have given them cult status.

If it’s the latter, then for me it excludes the pinch me era team(s) and instead refers

to the odd glimmer of hope in anotherwise miserable last 2 decades of third tier football.

Some good shouts already: “Alf” Garnett, Lee “Leader of the Latics” Duxbury; Tony Carrs; David Eyres (one of my favourite all-time favourite players); Andy Holt (hey, Andy Holt); Disco Pants Kelly; Andy Liddell - a quality player

Other notable mentions:

Wellens - a skilful player that on his day was a class above

Sheridan - single handedly saving us from relegation on one leg

Darren Sheridan (sent off in all completions in one season)

We’ve got an Aussie and his name is Dougie / Pogliacomi

Rachubka - great loan season for us

Stretch Armstrong

Will Haining - a real leader at the back and resulted in better kit launch photos than we’be had before or since

One Size Fitz Hall

”Julie” Andrews - pace to burn and a knack of “winning” penalties ;-)

Clyde Wijnard - genuine goal scorer that fella

The legend that was Ernie

Killenny/Croft - when on loan were a class above for a season

Neil “your crap but played in the Premiership”

Eardley

Kieran Lee - hard working and talented player

Tarky - a pleasure to see him progress

Trotman - plucked from the scrap heap and returned us £500k (biggest transfer since the Premiership?)

M’voto - you’ll never beat him (but he might beat himself once a game)

Special mentions:

Carlo Corrazin (if you only look at games against Wrexham and West Ham in the Cup) was a goal machine

Jermaine Johnson - unbelievably fast but the epitome of “50p head and Tolberone boots”

Porter - another rarity that is a genuine goal scorer (though he screwed us contractually so cannot he a hero)

Inspector Colusso - for his bizarre skills and that goal at Bury

Matt Smith - crap at first, but got better and better near the end and for those goals in the Cup

It's for people that served us for a long time/had key moments without being overly recognised by many. Eyres, Sheridan etc are the obvious ones all fans know.

'Heroes' isn't perhaps the right word or over exaggerated. Steve Whitehall is a good example. Without his goals in 1999 we could now be in the Conference North.

The day we finally win promotion, all these players will have contributed as they kept us in this league in many a year when we should really have gone down.

• Like 1

Anybody remember Peter McCall wing half played for us around 1963. I remember him scoring a goal for us, think it was at home against Mansfield Town in the FA Cup and he scored by volleying the ball home from inside the centre circle. It took the goal keeper into the net as well . I remember him and Alun Williams coming to us from Bristol City. Two brilliant players on their day. 

Edited by Smiler13
Spelling error

On 15/10/2017 at 7:28 AM, oafcshuck said:

I love Gary Kelly.

Brought up as a blue watching him, oh and we can't forget Andy Holt Holt Holt ????

I sponsored Gary Kelly in his final season for us - still have his framed, signed shirt with T**ex on it.

21 hours ago, palmer1 said:

Paul Rickers was always solid for us.

Players like Steve Redmond were never really appreciated due to the players they followed.

“don’t give it Rickers” was a regular shout from me or one of my mates.

Hard-working, good at a tackle but couldn’t pass water that lad.

• 2 weeks later...

Liverpool v Latics FA cup  1977 on BT Sports 1 now.

Alan Groves seen at last, leaving Engjand full back Phil Neal floundering

Nice finish by David Shaw from a Groves slick pass.

Edited by BP1960

On 16/10/2017 at 9:40 AM, oafcmetty said:

Gunnar (!) signed up ahead of our first season back in the top flight.

He signed half way through 90-91 didn't he?

I remember him after the Wednesday game unwittingly walking into Yates's on Yorkshire St with his wife and dressed smartly in a suit only to emerge a few minutes later all dishevelled, hair & tie everywhere covered in lipstick and beer :grin: