Forgotten Heroes

27 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

That's not how Sami Hyppia tells it.

According to Hyppia, Sharp said that he was no better than what we have. 

Would think the reality is somewhere in the middle. 

Sharp has said a few times in interviews that he would have signed him in a minute if it was down to him. He said we could’ve had him for £100k and he wasn’t on big wages and that he’s left it in Stott’s court to tie up the deal.  Mind you hindsight is a wonderful thing, would he have made the same remarks if he’d turned out a duffer and not a Champions’ League winner.

Super Scotty Vernon. ?

Anyway else remember the 'Bring Dudders back' flag in the main stand in the 1999?

Scum scored for Burton and got arrested against us at BP in 2002, but for us young un's, Dudders, Tippy and Allott were the light.

10 goals for us. The sh*t fucker. Taught half of Oldham to drive though, so he can remain.

Hero. 

9 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'd suggest the Huddersfield Town chairman is a fine example of being 'good'.

More importantly... he is a rich one.  A rich one who took a chance on a manager that paid off via a penalty win at Wembley play off.  Rich and lucky, great combo. 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, johnafoafc said:

Sharp has said a few times in interviews that he would have signed him in a minute if it was down to him. He said we could’ve had him for £100k and he wasn’t on big wages and that he’s left it in Stott’s court to tie up the deal.  Mind you hindsight is a wonderful thing, would he have made the same remarks if he’d turned out a duffer and not a Champions’ League winner.

I was at the match when Hypia played and remember stories doing the rounds after the match that Stott wasn't prepared to sanction a deal on the orders of J.W. Lees which left Sharp somewhat angry.

Edited by mikejh45

59 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

I was at the match when Hypia played and remember stories doing the rounds after the match that Stott wasn't prepared to sanction a deal on the orders of J.W. Lees which left Sharp somewhat angry.

That scenario doesn’t surprise me.  I’m not a Sharp apologist by any means but his hands were tied by that board.  It was said at the time that Big Joe recommended him as his replacement.  My belief is that he was appointed due to his lack of popularity.  He was a bone chucked for the fans to bite whilst the board sold off the family silver.

Further up the thread Gunnar was mentioned as a forgotten hero.  Gunnar was probably the last saleable asset we had during 96-97 apart from an injury prone Richard Graham and maybe Carl Serrant, who went at the end of the following season.  He was showing excellent form that season.  That, combined with a few wins from Barlow’s and Ormondroyd’s goals gave us some hope.  Yet as soon as an offer came in he was gone.  I remember something about a loyalty bonus to Gunnar being trotted out as to why we sold him.

On 10/11/2017 at 2:49 PM, oafcprozac said:

Had a great impact  back end of 98/99 on loan though. HIs winner v Stoke was vital in the penultimate game.

What a nervy game that was.  Didn’t we play the bulk of it, around 80 mins with 10 men?  A long, goal bound throw in from Andy Holt and Beevers flicked it in to send us into raptures. 

On 2017-11-10 at 6:56 PM, oafcshuck said:

Super Scotty Vernon. ?

Anyway else remember the 'Bring Dudders back' flag in the main stand in the 1999?

Scum scored for Burton and got arrested against us at BP in 2002, but for us young un's, Dudders, Tippy and Allott were the light.

10 goals for us. The sh*t fucker. Taught half of Oldham to drive though, so he can remain.

Hero. 

Dudley is the only name I’ve ever had put on the back of a shirt, had it mailed out to Australia. It didn’t happen often but when he got going in full flight he was an exciting player. Remember a certain Richie Wellens half killing him with a shocking tackle on one of those occasions and getting a straight red (last game of season v Blackpool), quickly forgiven once he signed for us.

• 10 months later...
On 11/12/2017 at 3:32 AM, marhar said:

Dudley is the only name I’ve ever had put on the back of a shirt, had it mailed out to Australia. It didn’t happen often but when he got going in full flight he was an exciting player. Remember a certain Richie Wellens half killing him with a shocking tackle on one of those occasions and getting a straight red (last game of season v Blackpool), quickly forgiven once he signed for us.

Still attends games an all... He was at Wimbledon away a couple of years back. Driver at Latics driving school too.

I saw him in a restaurant in the Corn Exchange and made a point of showing my tipsy appreciation. Can't imagine it happens that often.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:18 PM, Scapegoat said:

I’d say he was a Rochdale Legend, took the step up a division and didn’t really make it but I do recall one incident.

Ball was in the opposition box but came to nothing as the keeper caught it and old Stevie was behind him.

He then jogged behind the keeper and then back up field - and in the process diverted his run slightly to stamp on the keepers water bottle popping the lid of and wasting the contents.

Might have been Wrexham away in the late 90s.

Odd funny / spiteful moment, but my main memory of Whitehall.

Didn’t he miss a sitter that would have put us one up against Chelsea at hone in the cup? 

On 11/10/2017 at 12:50 PM, JoeP said:

The turning point was Wembley (for no particular reason, the individual blame has shifted for me recently from Mark Hughes to Graeme Sharp, for missing a sitter at 1-0).

We'd been on great for up until the Hughes equaliser and then didn't win another game that season after it. Being so close destroyed our belief. Regardless of what happened before it, we'd have stayed up if that hadn't gone in.

All these years later and it still pains me to think about all this. 

7 hours ago, Nohairdontcare said:

All these years later and it still pains me to think about all this. 

I'll only be able to make peace with it when we are back in the Premier League and win the FA Cup and beat United fortunately in big games (for them) on three separate occasions, resulting in a collapse of their very foundations..

Mark Ward , signed from non league , never missed a game in 2 years and was on the verge of England squad......a dynamo of a player.......his autobiog is a superb read.

Paul Jones , Veteran defender signed when we are to an incredible low , 3 months without a win and lost at home 4th div Orient in the Cup .

Others

Aaron Callaghan

Gary Williams

3 hours ago, stargazer said:

Mark Ward , signed from non league , never missed a game in 2 years and was on the verge of England squad......a dynamo of a player.......his autobiog is a superb read.

Paul Jones , Veteran defender signed when we are to an incredible low , 3 months without a win and lost at home 4th div Orient in the Cup .

Others

Aaron Callaghan

Gary Williams

Was Jones the one we signed from Leigh RMI- CB/LB? 

17 hours ago, stargazer said:

Others

Aaron Callaghan

Gary Williams

Callaghan was rubbish..