Chron purchased by Revolution 96.2

As good as this news is for the town, let's be honest, the circulation numbers are still going to be considerably low.

How many of those on here that didn't buy it before it went bust will buy it now it's being re invented? I bet it's not many.  Most rely on the internet these days 

On 12/10/2017 at 5:56 PM, philliggi said:

As good as this news is for the town, let's be honest, the circulation numbers are still going to be considerably low.

How many of those on here that didn't buy it before it went bust will buy it now it's being re invented? I bet it's not many.  Most rely on the internet these days 

Guilty as charged. The online subscription was too expensive. As I recall it was initially set at about 90% of the print version price. I do believe in paying for journalism, but if you don’t have print and distribution costs, your paper should be a lot cheaper right? Besides, I don’t live in Oldham so I don’t feel that guilty. 

The Grauniad’s policy is similarly insane but in the other direction. I used to pay 50p a day for the print version, but it’s now about £15 a year for the online version. That’s not enough if you want quality journalism.

20 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

The Grauniad’s policy is similarly insane but in the other direction. I used to pay 50p a day for the print version, but it’s now about £15 a year for the online version. That’s not enough if you want quality journalism.

Been a long time since that classed as quality journalism.

Echo what's been said. Sad when it went but but I've contributed to its demise by not buying it for 10 years (being on here and hearing about Latics that way has probably played a big part in that to be honest). I'll probably make a conscious effort to get a few a more now but if it wasn't feasible before, I can't see how it's going to be sustainable a few weeks later.

2 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Echo what's been said. Sad when it went but but I've contributed to its demise by not buying it for 10 years (being on here and hearing about Latics that way has probably played a big part in that to be honest). I'll probably make a conscious effort to get a few a more now but if it wasn't feasible before, I can't see how it's going to be sustainable a few weeks later.

Well I’d guess they won’t have a final salary pension scheme for a start.

20 minutes ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

Revolution 96.2 has yet to be decide when the newspaper will resume publication, and whether it will be daily or weekly.

I’ve heard it’ll be weekly on Thursdays, which was historically the Chron’s biggest circulation day (because of the property pages). It won’t just be The Rarely Wrong anymore...it’ll be The Rarely Wrong and Rarely Printed. 

44 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

I’ve heard it’ll be weekly on Thursdays, which was historically the Chron’s biggest circulation day (because of the property pages). It won’t just be The Rarely Wrong anymore...it’ll be The Rarely Wrong and Rarely Printed. 

My mum can't send a text message but she has adopted the internet to nosy on other people's house prices.

9 minutes ago, leeslover said:

My mum can't send a text message but she has adopted the internet to nosy on other people's house prices.

So that's 3 weekly papers?

Bought the Oldham Reporter last week, not exclusively about Oldham but the raft of league tables covering non league

amatuer and junior  football are superb.

Edited by BP1960

3 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

. . . and now competing with the weekly Oldham Times, the weekly Oldham (but mostly Tameside) Reporter, and the daily Oldham print of the MEN.

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

The Oldham Chronicle is set to return as a digital title. There are still plans to relaunch the Chron in print, but the focus is currently on building its digital platforms.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/oldham-chronicle-set-to-return-online-as-owners-say-digital-is-an-improvement-on-print/

Good news. That pressgazette site is AIDS though, riddled with adware. Was barely able to read any of the article without being asked to download dodgy shit

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/01/2018 at 12:31 PM, PlayItLivo said:

Good news. That pressgazette site is AIDS though, riddled with adware. Was barely able to read any of the article without being asked to download dodgy shit

They have to make it pay though so it's understandable.

Just need to avoid clicking the ones we aren't interested in. 

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Simon Smedley is the breaking news reporter, he covered Latics on many occasions while at the Chron.

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

He was very much a lucky omen for us. Think we lost once in 15 games when he was covering for Matt Chambers. 

Whilst Matt would be my first choice, Simon is a very capable alternative.