McLaughlin.......would you

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

let him go to Wigan if a deal could be done to keep Byrne? Considering the recent upturn in Dummigan's form with Wilson as back up.

I was just thinking the same a couple of days ago and it's a yes from me.

19 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

let him go to Wigan if a deal could be done to keep Byrne? Considering the recent upturn in Dummigan's form with Wilson as back up.

Isn't this a bit like asking, 'would you rather enjoy a few beers or be force fed dog shit?'

23 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Means nothing if a deal is beneficial to both clubs.

So now everyone is happy to get rid of our 'star player who could do no wrong last season for someone who has looked good for a few games. 

Remember when Dummighan was considered one for the prem who we'd be lucky to sign? A few weeks later he was never going to be good enough ever again!

Byrne was available on a free 2 months ago now we are swapping our most saleable asset from last season for him? How's that beneficial.

58 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

So now everyone is happy to get rid of our 'star player who could do no wrong last season for someone who has looked good for a few games. 

Remember when Dummighan was considered one for the prem who we'd be lucky to sign? A few weeks later he was never going to be good enough ever again!

Byrne was available on a free 2 months ago now we are swapping our most saleable asset from last season for him? How's that beneficial.

McLaughlin was also our only good player earlier this season when we were shit. Bizarre that he lost his form as we were beginning to be ok.

41 minutes ago, leeslover said:

McLaughlin was also our only good player earlier this season when we were shit. Bizarre that he lost his form as we were beginning to be ok.

Only for 1 or 2 games before injury. He is a player that could thrive under Wellens.

Latics fans are a fickle bunch with short memories though. Out of sight out of mind...

14 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Only for 1 or 2 games before injury. He is a player that could thrive under Wellens.

Latics fans are a fickle bunch with short memories though. Out of sight out of mind...

Or we've just signed vastly superior players to the ones we had before...

14 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Or we've just signed vastly superior players to the ones we had before...

Is that your opinion? Name one player who can play Mclaughins role better than him?

Dumminghan who is in the current 11 wasnt fit to lace his boots according to many only a few weeks ago! So A right back, who can play wing or up front and was touted for a move to the league leaders not needed now as we have better. Fans were threatening to never go again...?

Fkn fickle! 

5 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

I like McLaughlin, but I'd drive him to Wigan if it meant us keeping Byrne.

This. Byrne is such an improvement on who would replace him that I'd carry McLaughlin to Wigan to keep Byrne. McLaughlin is better than his replacement but not by as much as Byrne.

I think the availability of Byrne in August has been overstated. Wigan don't rate him currently but the previous manager did, who's to say the next one won't rate him. That's without factoring his wages, where I'd be surprised if we were picking all of them up.

3 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Is that your opinion? Name one player who can play Mclaughins role better than him?

Dumminghan who is in the current 11 wasnt fit to lace his boots according to many only a few weeks ago! So A right back, who can play wing or up front and was touted for a move to the league leaders not needed now as we have better. Fans were threatening to never go again...?

Fkn fickle! 

We payed wages late the other week. We clearly don't need him to win games or play well.

Would love to see him come back in and add another attacking threat to our already strong array of talent but if we still need cash then he's clearly replaceable.

I don't see anybody saying he's shit or they don't want him. But if you were asked to choose between him or Byrne it's a no-brainer.

26 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

We payed wages late the other week. We clearly don't need him to win games or play well.

Would love to see him come back in and add another attacking threat to our already strong array of talent but if we still need cash then he's clearly replaceable.

I don't see anybody saying he's shit or they don't want him. But if you were asked to choose between him or Byrne it's a no-brainer.

Yeah Byrne's had 5/6 good games...no brain-er couldn't put it better.

At no point have I said I want him to go but if we haven't tied Byrne down in writing to come here in Jan or the Summer for free then I can only see his stock rising and Wigan slapping a price tag on him because there will be plenty of interest hence doing a deal.

Byrne is in the proverbial 'shop window'. If he does well, Latics want to secure his services but other clubs take notice and scupper the chances. If he is mediocre, then nothing good comes of it for either club or player. He is, ultimately, going to take the best option that becomes available to him and no one can deny him that. If Oldham get the investment secured, then maybe he could be tempted to stay, if Wigan are prepared to sell.

Typical football situation, it's not just the ball that is up in the air.