Seeing as we have people believing that we have what it takes to challenge the top 6, yet still remain in 20th, I think Tuesday could be a pivotal game in our season.

Win and we're 6 points clear of the drop zone and, more interestingly, 5 away from the playoffs.  I think we could genuinely start looking up the league rather than over our shoulder.

Lose and we drop into the relegation zone on goal difference and it might spell the end of Wellens' honeymoon period.

Wish I could be there to see it.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Seeing as we have people believing that we have what it takes to challenge the top 6, yet still remain in 20th, I think Tuesday could be a pivotal game in our season.

Win and we're 6 points clear of the drop zone and, more interestingly, 5 away from the playoffs.  I think we could genuinely start looking up the league rather than over our shoulder.

Lose and we drop into the relegation zone on goal difference and it might spell the end of Wellens' honeymoon period.

Wish I could be there to see it.

Spot on Mr Bosh. The key thing for me is going six points clear of the bottom four. That will provide the basis for us to push on.

I've always been sceptical about Bury since their promotion season from League Two in 14/15, mainly because I didn't know how they could afford to build the squads that they have done.  This season their squad, on paper at least, looked high on quality and with strength in depth too.  I could see why people predicted that they would be top half or above.  So I'm baffled at how they've managed to screw things up this badly!  I don't rate Clark as a manager but is he really this bad??

Also they've only picked up 2 points on the road this season.  Fingers crossed that continues on Tuesday.

33 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I've always been sceptical about Bury since their promotion season from League Two in 14/15, mainly because I didn't know how they could afford to build the squads that they have done.  This season their squad, on paper at least, looked high on quality and with strength in depth too.  I could see why people predicted that they would be top half or above.  So I'm baffled at how they've managed to screw things up this badly!  I don't rate Clark as a manager but is he really this bad??

Also they've only picked up 2 points on the road this season.  Fingers crossed that continues on Tuesday.

Clark as manager, nuff said. 

Imaginehow shit they'd be with that chancer working with our budget.

If our energy levels can be maintained, I can really see us dicking them. If we get ahead, I can see their heads staying down. 

51 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

They lost their two best signings - captain and CM - to long-term injury two games into the season

+ Lee Clark

Wouldn't surprise me if Wellens believes Top 6 should be our target - aim high.

However for me; get to 60 points as quickly as possible.  Anything above that is a bonus.  Top 6 dreamland.

More importantly than final league position is keeping the team together beyond this season with Doyle, Byrne and Bryan on another season loan or permanent.  That'll give us a platform should promotion be missed.

I'm hoping that the new owners will have greater financial resource to invest into the playing side and by attending these last 6-7 matches, they'll now have securing Doyle, Byrne and Bryan as their number one objective.

51 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Clark as manager, nuff said. 

Imaginehow shit they'd be with that chancer working with our budget.

If our energy levels can be maintained, I can really see us dicking them. If we get ahead, I can see their heads staying down. 

I agree Clark is a shite manager but who knows really how our budget (with a playing squad above 35?) actually compares with theirs.

I dont think that we can be aloof with our financial history, even though nobody really knows how the milky bar kid finances them.

Placide

Dummigan - Clarke - Bryan - Hunt

Fane

Gardner - Byrne - Menig

Doyle - Davies

Funnily enough, I actually think with us squandering that 4-2 lead on Saturday that it might just remind our players that there's still plenty of work to do and that just because we're suddenly playing a lot better we cannot just roll teams over.  Might just be a little kick up the arse for them.

Latics 3-1 Bury

Edited by sjk2008

35 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

If he was good for 60 minutes Saturday he should be good for at least 70 on Tuesday. Unless he needs the week to recover and then play again Saturday....

I was going off Wellens' comment that he was "looking leggy" after not playing much up to that point - players usually get omitted on that basis playing so soon afterwards 

personally speaking they are professional athletes and if a tennis player can play for 5 hours one day then pick up the next - 3 days should be plenty for a footballer but they don't seem to work that way 

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

First league game under Wellens we’ll have gone in to as favourites?

Makes it a big test, and a different challenge to what he’s had so far. Should be a good game. 

At the moment most games seem like "let's see where we are now"

i think we should beat bury but there is still this nagging doubt especially with it being a local derby.

The performance is the main thing, we don't need to be going into our shells as we have proved that attacking football does work. If wellens pressers are anything to go off he knows what we need to do.