Next 5 league games-how many points will we get??

Just noticed 4 of our next 5 league games are at home...and all 5 games are winable.

Bury H 

Scunny H

Southend A...where we usually do well

Dale H

Wimbledon H

10 points minimum I recon and we are well in the mix for the playoffs!!

Then Gillingham A where again we seem to do well and Northampton H so Happy Days (I hope)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly think we could get 13 with a draw at Southend, winning the rest.  

Maybe a draw with Scunny as well at worst but the rest we should be looking at taking all 3 points and as of late we are more thsn able to do that.  

Starting tomorrow night... 5-2 or a 3-1 me hopes!

Predicting Latics results is as easy as predicting 6 numbers on the lottery, Take it one game at a time and enjoy the ride.

Tomorrow is important - lose and we're back in the bottom 4. Win and we're looking up and sets up a cracker on Saturday, However, there's a lot of tired legs in our first XI the high intensity pressing game we play is beginning to have an effect. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of changes tomorrow night. Wilson for Bryan and maybe a midfield change given the knocks they are carrying.

Edited by oafcprozac

30 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Just noticed 4 of our next 5 league games are at home...and all 5 games are winable.

Bury H 

Scunny H

Southend A...where we usually do well

Dale H

Wimbledon H

10 points minimum I recon and we are well in the mix for the playoffs!!

Then Gillingham A where again we seem to do well and Northampton H so Happy Days (I hope)

Wellens has alluded to '5 game blocks' which isn't a bad way of doing it. Past managers I know who have done this are generally pretty clever in their manner of thinking and acting upon this. Darrell Clarke alludes to this all of the time at Bristol Rovers, as did David Flitcroft at Bury when gaining promotion from League Two. I presume (don't know for certain) it helps them plan ahead etc.

To answer the question I'd want 10 at least really but 9 I wouldn't be too disappointed at. What I hope we'll carry on doing is winning games or losing and miss out draws for the time being (in respect of winning 1, losing 1 instead of drawing 2)

We'll soon see but certainly some very winnable games coming up here, hopefully we can capitalise on them and get the points to take us up the table! We certainly have the ability to do that!

Edited by unsworthlatic

I agree with the point on win or lose.  I think its useful for a couple of reasons:

(1) Long unbeaten runs can end up being a bit anti-productive.  Teams tend to start being ‘happy’ with a draw too early in games as it keeps the run going - and as stated 1 win and 1 defeat is better than 2 draws.  Someone of EFL matters made this point last week and I agree.

(3) Also, sometimes a defeat reminds players what it feels like and can be used to spur a team on.

Gutted that due to work and personal commitments I am going to miss the next 2 home games - but to answer the OP I’d be very happy with 9 points from the 5.  Maintain that for the rest of the season and I’d expect us to be Top 10, which is a massive improvement.  In fact anything north of 59 points would be progress.

It is reasonable to think that for all 5 of Wellens league games we have started as second favourites and our opponents have expected to win and have set up and approached the games accordingly......we are now likely to enter a phase where teams are more circumspect in their approach and it will be interesting to see how we cope with less ambition from opponents and less space going forward. 

As Fergie states above. Games aren't easy to win in this league 

1 hour ago, Magister said:

It is reasonable to think that for all 5 of Wellens league games we have started as second favourites and our opponents have expected to win and have set up and approached the games accordingly......we are now likely to enter a phase where teams are more circumspect in their approach and it will be interesting to see how we cope with less ambition from opponents and less space going forward. 

As Fergie states above. Games aren't easy to win in this league 

Totally agree.

Similarly, histroically how often we do well against the teams that are toward the top of the league, and less so against teams that are struggling, most likely for the same reason you have given but possibly lack of mental strength too.

Consequently I think these next 5 games will be as much as test of RW's managerial capabilities as the caretaker ones were, despire being more difficult "on paper".

We can beat anyone in this league and we could lose to anyone.  The important thing is to make progress up the league and I would hope to see us comfortably 14th by the end of November and 12th by the end of December.  Current form would have us pushing the top six but we can't do that or can we?

On 24/10/2017 at 11:44 AM, deyres42 said:

Racing and Football Outlook has us finishing on 60 points at the moment.

And that would be genuine progress.  We have not had a season with a points total above the 50s since the Sheridan play-off season.  Even the good season under LJ fell apart at the end when he left and we ended up with 50-something.

For me, my views on RW this season would be as follows:

Relegation - massive failure

Relegation scrap - would feel like we haven’t moved forward and would wonder whether RW was the man for the next season

Mid-table mediocrity but less than 60 points - met expectations and would be hopeful for the next season

60+ and top half - out-performed and would be looking for the new owners to back him for the following season

Anything more than that (Top 10 / Top 6) - massively outperformaned

Promotion - build a statue!

Edited by Scapegoat