Goals for and goals against...and consequences.

I just noticed that amazingly we are the joint second top scores in League 1 on 27 goals (only 4 behind out total goals scored last season!)...and just 2 behind Wigan and Rotherham.

We also have the worst defence by some way having conceded 35 goals already...only 9 behind last seasons 44 conceded! Next worst is Brizzle Rovers with 29.

Whilst the entertainment, particularly over the past 7 or 8 games has been great, I cant help but think that unless we tighten up in defence and quickly, then we will not challenge the top 6.

You simply cant concede more than 2 goals per game and continue to win games on a regular basis, as shown by our league record this year where we have conceded 2 or more. W3 D2 L8.

If we are not challenging then I think the consequence will be we lose the likes of Doyle, Bryan and Byrne to other clubs who are up there (the only way they will stay is if we stump up to buy them..unlikely at this stage...or they think we are genuinely challenging for the play offs)

It's a difficult conundrum I know, and a while its a whole lot better than in recent years, I think if we can make a slight tactical change to be a bit more solid at the back we can really go places this season.

Interesting to get everyones thoughts on this and what we do?

Placide conceded 2 against Posh albeit one was a penalty. There was the late goal Pompey scored when he was close to a clean sheet and then the rocket Bradford blasted past him. MK it was disappointing to concede 4 but I feel far more confident with him in than the other two.

There's a balance to be struck but I prefer trying to do it this way than attempts we have made previously.

Like last season for example.

39 minutes ago, Magister said:

What's the problem?  You can't go for a pee or a pie in case you miss something

Hat's off to the bloke in front of me at MK for the quote of the season. Looking at his phone late in first half:

"F*ck me; United are two down at Huddersfield.  I'm off for a w@nk"

He missed two goals and I decided against shaking his hand when he returned.

I suppose the 2 games or more specifically the 2 points in those 7 games since Wellen's took over would be the final 10 minutes against MK Dons and the opening 30 minutes on Saturday.

If you are 2 goals up away from home that's when it becomes a different game you shut up shop you have done the hard work you have got into the lead you have given people enough entertainment that's when its a case of packing the midfield running down the clock be conservative and but still give the opposition something to think about on the break.

The opening 30 minutes on Saturday whether it was fatigue or complacency due to our recent good form or somethingelse we were sloppy passes were being misplaced and Scunthorpe came out of the traps quickly pressed us high up the pitch and raced into a 2 goal lead. You can also put in a case for a missing goalkeeper a goalkeeper who distributes the ball out from the back like a central midfielder, if hes not the best goalkeeper in the league then I would certainly back his distribution to be better than any other keeper in league 1.

Apart from that we have generally been alot more solid of late and it has reflected in our results I don't think we will have the worst defense come the end of the season if the last 7 games are to be repeated. I don't think we should worry too much at this stage, but I do believe we will have to learn to win ugly a few times, we won't always be the better team. If we can do that aswell as winning while being the better team, then I will believe we are capable of really doing something in this league. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it under Richie Wellens and the way we play. I'm just being realistic. 

To get into the top 6 historically you need to concede less than 60 goals in a season maximum. Think Posh are the only exception where one year when they conceded loads but scored over 100 goals and went up via the playoffs. 

Anyway we have 30 games left, 35 goals conceded so far... You do the maths! 

I guess it's all about what we want this year. Playing as we do I'm sure we will finish top half but short of top 6.

We will outscore most of the division but our goals conceded will be the difference. As I said in the thread topic there are consequences in playing the way we do. Perhaps we just accept it like at MK or on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, youngen said:

Won 2 bets on both to score both halves in last 3 games and a win on both to score and win vs Bury. I dont see a problem in this...

True story here - I have only put us on my "both teams to score" bet once this season. We beat Blackburn 1-0. The shits...

Edited by Lee Sinnott

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Oh for Dowie's playoff season - only 10 conceded after 16 league games.

Not it sure if you are being sarcastic?  Whilst statistically impressive it was (though check out the home form and it was bang average - particularly for a team chasing promotion) it wasn’t anywhere near as entertaining as the last 7 games.

Which brings me to....

8 hours ago, ChrisA said:

Placide conceded 2 against Posh albeit one was a penalty. There was the late goal Pompey scored when he was close to a clean sheet and then the rocket Bradford blasted past him. MK it was disappointing to concede 4 but I feel far more confident with him in than the other two.

There's a balance to be struck but I prefer trying to do it this way than attempts we have made previously.

Like last season for example.

...and it’s interesting.

As much as I like Placide and the changes under Wellens - but excuses aside, it’s still 8 goals in 4 games.

Unless you have very very good attackers, and very good fast defenders - it generally is a balance between what do you want to watch?

(1) Disciplined organised unit that doesn’t concede many (Dowie, Sheridan last season) but doesn’t score many because we don’t commit men forward for risk of losing our “shape”

(2) A more attack forcused team that is willing to push for goals, but is likely to get caught out (Wellens, Johnson and arguably Royle - though Joe then found Warhurst, Barret, Fleming, and we had the best of both worlds).

Arguably the former gets more points as even when you don’t score, you stand a good chance of picking up a point - but from an entertainment perspective I’ll always take the latter.

20 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

Not it sure if you are being sarcastic?  Whilst statistically impressive it was (though check out the home form and it was bang average - particularly for a team chasing promotion) it wasn’t anywhere near as entertaining as the last 7 games.

Which brings me to....

...and it’s interesting.

As much as I like Placide and the changes under Wellens - but excuses aside, it’s still 8 goals in 4 games.

Unless you have very very good attackers, and very good fast defenders - it generally is a balance between what do you want to watch?

(1) Disciplined organised unit that doesn’t concede many (Dowie, Sheridan last season) but doesn’t score many because we don’t commit men forward for risk of losing our “shape”

(2) A more attack forcused team that is willing to push for goals, but is likely to get caught out (Wellens, Johnson and arguably Royle - though Joe then found Warhurst, Barret, Fleming, and we had the best of both worlds).

Arguably the former gets more points as even when you don’t score, you stand a good chance of picking up a point - but from an entertainment perspective I’ll always take the latter.

Give me the entertainment anyday, we have been starved of it for long enough.

1 hour ago, Scapegoat said:

I dunno - Dowie's first 16 games of that season saw us win 10, draw 3, lose 3, scoring 28 goals. True those 3 losses were all at home, but I don't think you can say it wasn't entertaining. 2 x 4-0, a 6-1, 3-1. Including cup games we won 8 on the bounce in that period too. If Wellens can get us anywhere near 33 points in his first 16 games, he'll be doing amazingly well. 

1 hour ago, Scapegoat said:

Which brings me to....

...and it’s interesting.

Give me a season of grinding out results challenging for the top 6 and getting in the play offs over a season of entertaining football where we win 4-3 1 week and lose 3-2 the next and finish in mid table.

Now I know being and expansive entertaining team and a winning team are not mutually excusive options but when I buy an Oldham Athletic season ticket I do so with the expectation that they try and win as many games as possible given the ability and resources. We dont sing COME ON FOOTBALL we sing COME ON OLDHAM. So with regards to entertaining well great but aslong as we are winning.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Give me a season of grinding out results challenging for the top 6 and getting in the play offs over a season of entertaining football where we win 4-3 1 week and lose 3-2 the next and finish in mid table.

Now I know being and expansive entertaining team and a winning team are not mutually excusive options but when I buy an Oldham Athletic season ticket I do so with the expectation that they try and win as many games as possible given the ability and resources. We dont sing COME ON FOOTBALL we sing COME ON OLDHAM. So with regards to entertaining well great but aslong as we are winning.

Yes but if we are going to finish 17th let it be 4-3 2-3 and 3-3  not 1-0 0-1 and 0-0?

8 hours ago, Magister said:

Yes but if we are going to finish 17th let it be 4-3 2-3 and 3-3  not 1-0 0-1 and 0-0?

Why do we have to finish 17th?

If you're 17th in league 1 the style of football wont matter we will be going nowhere and the fans will just eventually get pissed off at the lack of progress.

Besides if we keep this team together then finishing 17th is a dissapointment they should be aiming for top half minimum. Plus some kind of run in the FA cup.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Why do we have to finish 17th?

If you're 17th in league 1 the style of football wont matter we will be going nowhere and the fans will just eventually get pissed off at the lack of progress.

Besides if we keep this team together then finishing 17th is a dissapointment they should be aiming for top half minimum. Plus some kind of run in the FA cup.

Why do we have to finish 17th.....a good question for Halloween because we spookily always do..

I'm not a tactician but I don't think playing 3 or 4 at the back is the main problem - it's personnel. 

My guess is come January something will be done about it - if changes in ownership have been completed.  And we are still in touch with a play-off place. 

46 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

I'm not a tactician but I don't think playing 3 or 4 at the back is the main problem - it's personnel. 

My guess is come January something will be done about it - if changes in ownership have been completed.  And we are still in touch with a play-off place. 

Still in touch? Didn’t realise we’d ever been in touch this season ?

Would be interesting to look at our conceded stats for the “pinch me” and Chanpionship seasons.  We had the players at the time, but had attacking tactics..