Goals for and goals against...and consequences.

On 30/10/2017 at 11:25 AM, Londonboy said:

You simply cant concede more than 2 goals per game and continue to win games on a regular basis, as shown by our league record this year where we have conceded 2 or more. W3 D2 L8.

But I think we've established that Wilson and Ruddy are a bit crap and have played a big part in that statistic.

We haven't lost a game with Placide in the team and have only conceded more than one goal in two of his seven games.

2 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

But I think we've established that Wilson and Ruddy are a bit crap and have played a big part in that statistic.

We haven't lost a game with Placide in the team and have only conceded more than one goal in two of his seven games.

Agreed he's a big improvement. We do need to win ugly though sometimes....and keep a few clean sheets. 

By playing 4 at the back with 2 attacking wing backs, as entertaining as it is, my view is we will still concede too many to get much above halfway up the table.

Reality is we could easily end up back in the bottom 4 after the Southend game!

Not sure what the answer is with the player we have so perhaps we should just enjoy seeing plenty of goals at both ends.

5 hours ago, Scapegoat said:

Still in touch? Didn’t realise we’d ever been in touch this season ?

Would be interesting to look at our conceded stats for the “pinch me” and Chanpionship seasons.  We had the players at the time, but had attacking tactics..

57 in pinch me season and 53 in Championship winning season.

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

57 in pinch me season and 53 in Championship winning season.

Thanks for that.  Just over a goal a game conceded (1.15 per game)

Championship winners GA:

16/17 40

15/16 35

14/15 45

13/14 43

12/13 45

11/12 41

10/11 32

So 17% more goals conceded in our championship winning season than the worst team in the last 7 years, 65% more than the best.

I seem to remember under Joe Royle watching Oldham meant you saw more goals than if you watched any other team home and away all season.

This season we are the same at the moment - but without an equivalent of Warhurst or Barrett.