Best Youth Product?

On 31/10/2017 at 9:22 AM, whittles left foot said:

What about Wayne Harrison-always looked a different class? Another who springs to mind is Graham Bell-went to Preston for £80,000 which was a good fee in those days and one of my favourites Darren McDonough.

Yes, I was going to mention Graham Bell. The then England manager Don Revie came to Boundary Park to watch him, that's how good he was. Plus he was from Middleton, so in my biased view had to be good.

Think in terms of achievements with Oldham, Barlow wins it for me.  Loved the goal against Arsenal in the old First Division.

In terms of going on to other things....then I do think we have not had that much success.  Tarky looks like a decent one at the moment, and could end up at a much bigger club if he continues as he is.

19 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

Think in terms of achievements with Oldham, Barlow wins it for me.  Loved the goal against Arsenal in the old First Division.

In terms of going on to other things....then I do think we have not had that much success.  Tarky looks like a decent one at the moment, and could end up at a much bigger club if he continues as he is.

Unfortunately,  there doesn't seem like much coming through judging from last night's FA youth cup tie.

Bury on the other hand looked to have several excellent prospects. Not sure why this is.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You could be right, I think they might have a higher level set up, if so it's something we may be able to achieve after the takeover.

Same category as us & in direct competition for the same players. They have access to the training facility at Carrington as well which may sway some although the more likely reason is that United/ City/ Blackburn didn't release anyone for us to sign as an u16. If the business model of the takeover is to bring in players from overseas to fill out the squad then it's probably more likely that the academy/ youth set up will get canned than beefed up.

15 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

Same category as us & in direct competition for the same players. They have access to the training facility at Carrington as well which may sway some although the more likely reason is that United/ City/ Blackburn didn't release anyone for us to sign as an u16. If the business model of the takeover is to bring in players from overseas to fill out the squad then it's probably more likely that the academy/ youth set up will get canned than beefed up.

Haven't Bury an u23 set up though?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned possibly our best youth product who starred in the Premier league,  notched some fine goals and went on to win full international caps.

Clue: He played in midfield.

Paul Bernard? He came through the ranks and played in the premier league.  He was also capped by Scotland.

2 hours ago, johnafoafc said:

Paul Bernard? He came through the ranks and played in the premier league.  He was also capped by Scotland.

According to Wiki the only player that a Scottish club other than Celtic and Rangers have paid £1m or more for

On 05/11/2017 at 3:27 PM, Dave_Og said:

According to Wiki the only player that a Scottish club other than Celtic and Rangers have paid £1m or more for

Dave... Sorry random question... Did you live in Chadderton when you were 9/10 years old?  Used to be best mates with a Dave Ogden when I was a kid... 

10 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Dave... Sorry random question... Did you live in Chadderton when you were 9/10 years old?  Used to be best mates with a Dave Ogden when I was a kid... 

Not me. I was born at home in Chadderton, next door but one to what was The Chadderton Arms, but we moved to Friezland just before I was 4.