Newcastle Youth (H) 19:30

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Flynn did bugger all apart from that pass on Tuesday, has had plenty of chances previously without impressing. If Byrne goes in January maybe he would come into the reckoning but he's far too lightweight to justify the regular starting spot his wages warrant. 

We've scored 10 goals in his last 3 games. Can't argue with facts.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Flynn did bugger all apart from that pass on Tuesday, has had plenty of chances previously without impressing. If Byrne goes in January maybe he would come into the reckoning but he's far too lightweight to justify the regular starting spot his wages warrant. 

Used correctly, Flynn and Byrne could be quite the duo in midfield. They both have the vision and ability to pick a pass. It would mean Byrne isn't constantly having to do everything on his own and may free up space for the 2 of them. Probably best not to use them together if we're looking at a scrap though....

1 hour ago, doctor evil said:

. It would mean Byrne isn't constantly having to do everything on his own and may free up space for the 2 of them.

Not sure that Byrne is constantly having to do everything on his own? ?

Gardner and Fane have pitched in too...?

Edited by TheBigDog

16 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Not sure that Byrne is constantly having to do everything on his own? ?

Gardner and Fane have pitched in too...?

I bet I’m not exaggerating when I say 90% of our created chances/goals come from a key influence from Byrne. Watch highlights of goals from since he came in, he is involved in a vast majority of them. 

1 hour ago, Blue_Guru said:

I bet I’m not exaggerating when I say 90% of our created chances/goals come from a key influence from Byrne. Watch highlights of goals from since he came in, he is involved in a vast majority of them. 

I bet you are.

Byrne has 3 assists to his name in the league.

Davies is on 2 assists but has also chipped in with 7 goals  and Doyle is our leading provider with 4 assists and 9 goals which would suggest that both are as important as the man you credited with being the biggest influence.

Edited by yarddog73

1 hour ago, Blue_Guru said:

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I bet you are.

Davies is on 2 assists but has also chipped in with 7 goals  and Doyle is our leading provider with 4 assists and 9 goals which would suggest that both are as important as the man you credited with being the biggest influence.

He has played well that is not in doubt. But a slight exaggeration I feel...Also your use of ‘created chances/goals’ and ‘key influence’ makes it more difficult to accurately measure his overall impact. (Ie. How good was the chance and what exactly is a key influence?)

My analysis of all first team games he has played in since he joined, using goals scored and assists made, is as follows:

Total Latics Goals scored - 30

Byrne Goals - 5

Byrne Assists - 5

Percentage influenced - 33%

Still an excellent contribution but not quite 90% ?

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

He has played well that is not in doubt. But a slight exaggeration I feel...Also your use of ‘created chances/goals’ and ‘key influence’ makes it more difficult to accurately measure his overall impact. (Ie. How good was the chance and what exactly is a key influence?)

My analysis of all first team games he has played in since he joined, using goals scored and assists made, is as follows:

Total Latics Goals scored - 30

Byrne Goals - 5

Byrne Assists - 5

Percentage influenced - 33%

Still an excellent contribution but not quite 90% ?

I don't need stats to tell me how important Jack Byrne is to this team.

Take him out and we wouldn't even be half the team we currently are.

2 hours ago, dec666 said:

I don't need stats to tell me how important Jack Byrne is to this team.

Take him out and we wouldn't even be half the team we currently are.

1 hour ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Precisely. You can shove your percentages up ur :ass1:

When you say we wouldn't be half the team we currently are do you mean 50%? ?

On 10/11/2017 at 9:07 AM, yarddog73 said:

I bet you are.

The reason we have had so many 0 scorelines over recent years is because we haven’t had someone of his capability in our team. ‘Rubbish in the final third’ or ‘struggling to break teams down’ has been typical of so many of our teams for years. You can’t measure what Jack does In terms of goals or assists, he is the one who creates the space and provides the forward momentum that leads to attacks. Something only high quality players can do and are worth their weight in gold. 

People who have played the game to a decent standard will know how difficult it is to be that player that changes the tempo of a game or changes the mindset/momentum of a team from defending to attacking. He builds confidence in pressing forward which picks the whole team and crowd up. 

Edited by Blue_Guru

20 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

The reason we have ha so many 0 scorelines over recent years is because we haven’t had someone of his capability in our team. ‘Rubbish in the final third’ has been typical of many teams for years. You can’t measure what Jack does In terms of goals or assists, he is the one who creates the space and provides the forward momentum that leads to attacks. Something only high quality players can do and are worth their weight in gold. 

People who have played the game to a decent standard will know how difficult it is to be that player that changes the tempo of a game or changeable the mindset of a team. 

Nobody doubts for one second the impact and influence Byrne has had on the games he has played in.

It was just that the “I bet I’m not exaggerating... “ followed by the “90%”  statement that got my and others’ attention...?

- and I can’t help thinking that if he is indeed ‘worth his weight in gold’, it’s a good job he’s only a lean 5’9”” tall or we’d never be able to afford him come January...?

Edited by TheBigDog

On 11/11/2017 at 10:47 AM, TheBigDog said:

Nobody doubts for one second the impact and influence Byrne has had on the games he has played in.

It was just that the “I bet I’m not exaggerating... “ followed by the “90%”  statement that got my and others’ attention...?

- and I can’t help thinking that if he is indeed ‘worth his weight in gold’, it’s a good job he’s only a lean 5’9”” tall or we’d never be able to afford him come January...?

A bit pedantic, you know the point I was making...ok change my ‘90%’ for ‘most’! We couldn’t afford him if he was worth his weight in Potatoes! 

Edited by Blue_Guru