2H of the season expectations?

Assuming AL takes control of the club at some stage over the next few weeks, what should we expect/prioritise for the 2nd half of the season?

IMO

1. We should really make a push in the Checkatrade trouphy. If we can beat Leicesters kids (plus Iheanacho) I'd fancy us against anyone left in and a trip to Wembley would be a massive lift and great financially for the club.

2. If we can hold onto the loanees - Bryan and Byrne in particular, and maintain our form under Wellens - (22 points from 12 games), we can realistically finish with around 72 points....which might just squeeze into the play-offs....why not?

3. Don't be tempted to sell anyone! (unless we want to get rid!!) The current matchday squad needs to form the basis of our team for next season wherever we end up.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

January interesting, will give an indication of who is dictating transfer policy.

Most of the good aways to come for the atmosphere lads but on the pitch could fizzle out a bit if we maintain current form, too far from top 6, too far from bottom 4.

There's always the Checkatrade to keep the fires burning...

First things first, 50 points ASAP.

Secondly, keep the current main group of players together and playing the same style of play as we currently do.

Failing that, Wellens hopefully will replace the crucial players or get a tune out of the remaining members of the squad.

If we do those things, the playoffs will become a realistic possibility.

Keep the loan players maybe even strengthen in january.

Im not expecting top 6 or anything just some forward momemtum for our football club.

Get the takeover through, set out a plan, and win as many games as possible start climbing the league, which will slowly start seeing more bums on seats so we can start to believe that great things can happen for our football club once more. 

Edited by GlossopLatic

We're third in the form table for the last 11 games, even after that mini downturn in form going 3 without winning or scoring. That's the most frustrating thing really, those results would have been fine if we hadn't chucked away the first quarter of the season.

As it is, I'd be disappointed if we weren't top half should we keep the current squad together. If we don't, a good finish to the season for me would be anywhere around mid table, with the takeover completed and a few decent additions in January, something to give us positivity going in to next season.

3 hours ago, dec666 said:

We're third in the form table for the last 11 games, even after that mini downturn in form going 3 without winning or scoring. That's the most frustrating thing really, those results would have been fine if we hadn't chucked away the first quarter of the season.

As it is, I'd be disappointed if we weren't top half should we keep the current squad together. If we don't, a good finish to the season for me would be anywhere around mid table, with the takeover completed and a few decent additions in January, something to give us positivity going in to next season.

We could easily have 6 more points from three of Wellens games, MK, Gillingham and Wimbledon and have saved some of our worst performances for those games were we should of battered the opposition. If we can eliminate those type of performances/results and be a bit more clinical there is no reason why we can't keep climbing, there will be one or two in the bottom half in the mix come May we have just got to make sure its us.

Barnsley two years ago are a great example. 

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-one/01-december-2015/

Could have been 9th if we had managed to take our chances against Gillingham and Wimbledon.

Not winning those two has kind of simmered down my hope so I think we'll finish in and around the top half.

After the start we've had and the uncertainty surrounding wages, raids and proposed investment I think bettering last season is an achievement.

If we can keep the majority of this squad with a few additions next year I dont see why we can't finish comfortably in the Play-offs

56 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Could have been 9th if we had managed to take our chances against Gillingham and Wimbledon.

Not winning those two has kind of simmered down my hope so I think we'll finish in and around the top half.

After the start we've had and the uncertainty surrounding wages, raids and proposed investment I think bettering last season is an achievement.

If we can keep the majority of this squad with a few additions next year I dont see why we can't finish comfortably in the Play-offs

All teams in the top six will have games and spells like that though. Ultimately, it's our form under Sheridan that probably has us a bit too far out of reach.

On 11/12/2017 at 9:12 PM, Magister said:

Let's not get carried away.......we won 5-1 on Saturday which came after 3 league games without  a win or a goal

I'm seeing a lot of this "let's not get carried away" of late..

Why not? Serious question... 

Over the last 20 years we've had little spells of a few or several weeks here & there where we've had something to get carried away about and I've got as carried away as I possibly could during all of them and don't intend to stop doing so.... 

32 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'm seeing a lot of this "let's not get carried away" of late..

Why not? Serious question... 

Over the last 20 years we've had little spells of a few or several weeks here & there where we've had something to get carried away about and I've got as carried away as I possibly could during all of them and don't intend to stop doing so.... 

Yes, we are playing good football and it's enjoyable to go to BP for the first time in a long time BUT we are still 6 points from relegation and 9 points from the playoffs, a hell of a turn around from where we were but still a long way to go.

We deserved 3 points from Wimbledon and Gillingham but didn't take our chances. I expected us to get a result at Southend but that didn't happen. It just shows how fickle football/this league can be and that any team can beat any other and throw the form book out the window.

Adding more uncertainty to an already unpredictable situation is that we don't know what players or owners we are going to have in January. What you say about the last 20 years is why people aren't getting carried away, I'll hold off dreaming until Feburary/March.

For now I'll just enjoy the football, enjoy not worrying about relegation and enjoy the fact that hope still remains.