He would probably prefer playing with a target man but despite that missed a shed-load of chances that he took with ease earlier in the season. He took the one at Scunthorpe as if he'd never been away but snatched at many of the chances later in the season like a man devoid of confidence. 

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, losesome said:

Your right , think RW not only convinced himself but the rest of the team that once Doyle was back there was no way we would go down.

The big problem was he negated all his scoring potential by playing Nazon with him. 

Not saying it was Nazon's fault but the partnership just didn't work.

You make a decent point - Although Nazon did bag a few in the short time he was with us, he is definitely a striker to file, in the nicest possible way, under ‘s’ for selfish.

Doyle constantly moves defenders around and needed someone alongside him who would work with him as one of a pair. Davies was a decent foil for him but he was clearly carrying an injury over the tail end of the season. Hence why a number of us were baffled that Holloway and Doyle have never started a game together ?. 

22 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He would probably prefer playing with a target man but despite that missed a shed-load of chances that he took with ease earlier in the season. He took the one at Scunthorpe as if he'd never been away but snatched at many of the chances later in the season like a man devoid of confidence. 

I have to agree with this either the last or second to last home game, he had 4 decent chances in the first half, scoring none, most of them would have gone in earlier in the season.he seemed to take that extra split second thinking time after the injury.

1 hour ago, RichardOafc said:

I have to agree with this either the last or second to last home game, he had 4 decent chances in the first half, scoring none, most of them would have gone in earlier in the season.he seemed to take that extra split second thinking time after the injury.

Think he was feeling the weight of expectation too much on his shoulders tbh

2 hours ago, losesome said:

Your right , think RW not only convinced himself but the rest of the team that once Doyle was back there was no way we would go down.

The big problem was he negated all his scoring potential by playing Nazon with him. 

Not saying it was Nazon's fault but the partnership just didn't work.

I disagree I thought the partnership did work . They created loads of chances. Doyle just didn’t convert any of those chances. You cannot blame Nazon for Doyle’s failings. To be honest even though Doyle was made captain he just didn’t seem to have the same desire or fight to get the ball into the net in the last six games. That’s why I think we would do better without him next season.

7 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

I disagree I thought the partnership did work . They created loads of chances. Doyle just didn’t convert any of those chances. You cannot blame Nazon for Doyle’s failings. To be honest even though Doyle was made captain he just didn’t seem to have the same desire or fight to get the ball into the net in the last six games. That’s why I think we would do better without him next season.

Rubbish. Doyle worked his bollocks off every game, even when he wasn’t scoring. His goal return diminished post-injury because of our hoofball tactics. 

16 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Rubbish. Doyle worked his bollocks off every game, even when he wasn’t scoring. His goal return diminished post-injury because of our hoofball tactics. 

16 minutes ago, Ryan said:

It’s not rubbish did you actually attend the games. Against Gillingham he missed 5 clear cut chances. Also in a lot of other games he had the chances to put the ball in the net and failed. Before Christmas he would have converted those chances and as a striker that’s what we where paying him to do. He failed miserably after coming back from his health issues. The only time he converted was against Scunthorpe and Blackpool. Ok he did run around a lot and looked to put a shift in but I am not talking about that , I am questioning his sharpness at taking chances and he failed miserably when we needed him most.

Just now, Smiler13 said:

It’s not rubbish did you actually attend the games. Against Gillingham he missed 5 clear cut chances. Also in a lot of other games he had the chances to put the ball in the net and failed. Before Christmas he would have converted those chances and as a striker that’s what we where paying him to do. He failed miserably after coming back from his health issues. The only time he converted was against Scunthorpe and Blackpool. Ok he did run around a lot and looked to put a shift in but I am not talking about that , I am questioning his sharpness at taking chances and he failed miserably when we needed him most.

FIVE clear-cut chances? Give over. We didn’t even create 5 half-chances that game.

He missed plenty of sitters pre-injury but people’s memory seems to be clouded because he converted a lot too. Every single striker at this level misses chances. The one that sticks out for me is the Shrewsbury game after rounding the keeper - shocking miss. 

Imagine not wanting our best striker in a decade back for the lowest standard of football we have faced for 50 years. I really do give up. 

11 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Such negativity on this board .....

you don’t like football that much if you think we shouldn’t sign him. He’s a championship standard striker easy. And Ryan is right the best we’ve had in over a decade. Highly doubtful he will sign for us in league two tho. I expect t to see him lining up in a team pushing for promotion in the league above us. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

FIVE clear-cut chances? Give over. We didn’t even create 5 half-chances that game.

He missed plenty of sitters pre-injury but people’s memory seems to be clouded because he converted a lot too. Every single striker at this level misses chances. The one that sticks out for me is the Shrewsbury game after rounding the keeper - shocking miss. 

Imagine not wanting our best striker in a decade back for the lowest standard of football we have faced for 50 years. I really do give up. 

We are in division 2 so get real. Can we really afford Doyle’s wages of 10,000 a week. It’s not a matter of not wanting him , you have to question are you going to get value for money with his health issues. 

17 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

I disagree that Doyles drop off in form was down to a lack of desire (I could definitely accuse several others of that in the final 3rd of the season). If he didnt have the desire to score goals he wouldnt have got in those positions to miss.

The main problem was we didnt adapt to how league 1 changes after christmas where pitches deteriorate and 1 touch passing pretty much goes out the window and it requires you to grind out wins our appalling defensive record didnt help here at all.

7 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Such negativity on this board .....

you don’t like football that much if you think we shouldn’t sign him. He’s a championship standard striker easy. And Ryan is right the best we’ve had in over a decade. Highly doubtful he will sign for us in league two tho. I expect t to see him lining up in a team pushing for promotion in the league above us. 

He’s not a championship striker. He failed miserably at Cardif and Preston in the Championship. His best period was in league one for Chesterfield before he came to us this season and granted he scored some cracking goals pre Christmas. I am not being negative when I say that after his illness he just didn’t seem like the same player, that is fact wether you like it or not. He lost his sharpness in front of goal. 

There’s no way he’d be asking £10,000 a week. I’m pretty sure his injury isn’t recurring too? Happy to be corrected.

Anyway, it’s a pointless argument. Doyle will get a move to a side competing at the top of League One  and do very well for them. He’s the one player I don’t begrudge a move after this season.

I wish him all the best where ever he turns up next season and I honestly hope his medical problems don’t surface again. Also I hope he regains his sharpness preseason. He’s a great footballer. 

39 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

We are in division 2 so get real. Can we really afford Doyle’s wages of 10,000 a week. It’s not a matter of not wanting him , you have to question are you going to get value for money with his health issues. 

Why are you worried about paying his wages smiler ? Is it out of your pocket ? 

33 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

He’s not a championship striker. He failed miserably at Cardif and Preston in the Championship. His best period was in league one for Chesterfield before he came to us this season and granted he scored some cracking goals pre Christmas. I am not being negative when I say that after his illness he just didn’t seem like the same player, that is fact wether you like it or not. He lost his sharpness in front of goal. 

I wouldn’t say 5 in 16 for Cardiff Is particularly failing miserably tbh. Only 11 appearances for Preston. Admittedly only one goal in them 11. I’d be interested to know how many of them appearances were from the bench tho ? SINGE !!! Pie chart please ? My opinion is he is definitely good enough for the championship in the right circumstances tho smiler. 

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I wouldn’t say 5 in 16 for Cardiff Is particularly failing miserably tbh. Only 11 appearances for Preston. Admittedly only one goal in them 11. I’d be interested to know how many of them appearances were from the bench tho ? SINGE !!! Pie chart please ? My opinion is he is definitely good enough for the championship in the right circumstances tho smiler. 

Admited with the right players around him giving him good service he could do a job for a Championship side but that is not yet fully proven. 

9 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Why are you worried about paying his wages smiler ? Is it out of your pocket ? 

No I’m not worried but he was on 10,000 at Preston. If I was AL I would be questioning his worth if we could not negotiate a wage a lot less. As a pensioner I would be lucky to raise a salary of £10 a week never mind 10,000 lol. 

5 hours ago, mickjagger said:

After all the hype and polava with the stay now song ultimately think in hindsight this is why we got relegated we thought it was not possible to go down with ED in the side and the goals that would follow sadly that did not materialize and was not wise put all our eggs in one basket. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing 

Watching the highlights and Doyle's 'Goal of the Season' I now feel slightly frustrated that relegation followed on from that glorious period of the season. Just goes to show how contrary to expectations football can be.

5 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Watching the highlights and Doyle's 'Goal of the Season' I now feel slightly frustrated that relegation followed on from that glorious period of the season. Just goes to show how contrary to expectations football can be.

Id say that period was contrary to the expectation rather than what went before or after it 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived