7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If you sign him for 3 years, he scores 50-60 goals but you are still in the same league at the end of it has it been worthwhile? Hard to say.

Yes if crowds have increased as a result. Or other players have benefited from playing with him and been sold for a profit.

No if they haven't.

The potential downside is that he's already 29 and might not hold much sell on value beyond the end of this season..... 

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cmr said:

Exactly, if he does have the money then Byrne and Doyle are good investments. We could make our money back if we wanted to sell barring bad injuries.

Since Wellens took charge Doyle has 10 goals in 13 games in the league. If that form was over the season he'd have 35 goals.

Over the whole season he has 12 goals from 22 games in the league. Over the season that equates to 25 goals.

There's the reason other clubs are sniffing around and he's said he wants to stay here so it comes down to money.

Get it done... because if we don't then there is no investment.

Your last statement is pretty much where I’m at, if he doesn’t invest into these two, then I would say this investment is not going to get us challenging anytime soon. 

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

If you sign him for 3 years, he scores 50-60 goals but you are still in the same league at the end of it has it been worthwhile? Hard to say.

Point taken, but those goals could also keep you clear of relegation.

4 hours ago, cmr said:

Exactly, if he does have the money then Byrne and Doyle are good investments. We could make our money back if we wanted to sell barring bad injuries.

Since Wellens took charge Doyle has 10 goals in 13 games in the league. If that form was over the season he'd have 35 goals.

Over the whole season he has 12 goals from 22 games in the league. Over the season that equates to 25 goals.

There's the reason other clubs are sniffing around and he's said he wants to stay here so it comes down to money.

Get it done... because if we don't then there is no investment.

He only managed 2 in 12 for a promotion team in L2 at Portsmouth last season. However he may have been up front on his own, and the last few games for us where he has been on his own up front, he hasn't been as effective although he's missed a few chances. 

If and when the AL takeover happens, the sensible thing to do is to plan properly for next season so we can have a proper tilt at promotion.

Whilst Doyle has been great for us and it would be a coup if we could sign him, there will be loads of players good available come the end of May and I'm sure AL will want to spend his money wisely. Previously these players have not been accessible to us because of our lack of financial investment. A couple of million quid invested at L1 level buys you 3 or 4 decent players so spending half this on one is questionable.

At the end of the day until any takeover is formally agreed and out in the open, then Doyle is not an option for us as we dont have a spare million quid - end of story.

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

If and when the AL takeover happens, the sensible thing to do is to plan properly for next season so we can have a proper tilt at promotion.

Whilst Doyle has been great for us and it would be a coup if we could sign him, there will be loads of players good available come the end of May and I'm sure AL will want to spend his money wisely. Previously these players have not been accessible to us because of our lack of financial investment. A couple of million quid invested at L1 level buys you 3 or 4 decent players so spending half this on one is questionable.

At the end of the day until any takeover is formally agreed and out in the open, then Doyle is not an option for us as we dont have a spare million quid - end of story.

Somebody on here speculates a million all In and now that’s the ACTUAL cost ? Fucking crackers this board but ya gotta love it !

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Nohairdontcare said:

I’ve heard very similar from an excellent source (that I won’t be revealing). 

Loan initially but don’t rule out permanent in a while. 

If I remember rightly, you're the man when it comes to Doyle. Wasn't it you who revealed we were signing him in August...?

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If I remember rightly, you're the man when it comes to Doyle. Wasn't it you who revealed we were signing him in August...?

Only at the last minute. I heard he had put pen to paper but there was a lot of will he won’t he at that point. 

Since then he’s sparked a lot of attention over here in Ireland. His goals haven’t gone unnoticed. I work in Dublin and it’s a small town really... news gets around! 

10 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Think i was first to bang it on twitter... Good friend of mine who works at PNE told me. 

Hes told me a few bits this week but asked me not to say anything as yet. Still ongoing.... Few hurdles

5 hours ago, Fruitygoo said:

Think i was first to bang it on twitter... Good friend of mine who works at PNE told me. 

Hes told me a few bits this week but asked me not to say anything as yet. Still ongoing.... Few hurdles

?

Archived