Patrick McEleney

34 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:
36 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing Benyu brought on instead of Tope on that right wing as he looks like he has pace to burn.

Don't know where this comes from, I've not seen him run at all ! Maybe if he was pushed wide he'd show more because when played in the middle he looked lost.Came with a good reputation from Celtic but not shown anything yet.

I've asked some people, who have watched League of Ireland games for many years, about McEleney and got these comments:

He certainly is one of the best players in the league of Ireland. He had a heck of a season, even if he sometimes went missing in big games, and scored some great goals. He is a master of the lob.

If he scores you will be talking about it for the week. Unbelievable goals this season and is a player of massive talent. If he finds his feet you could be in for a treat.

3 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

After Pringle has disappointed, there’s a starting spot waiting for McEleney if he can show something on his return

Has Pringle disappointed? He may not have lived up to the hype from some Latics fans (does anyone?!) but he has been solid and his delivery from set pieces has been excellent at times.

A tad baffled at the criticism Pringle is getting.

He's getting back to full fitness and is very tidy on the ball. Hard to judge against MK as its impossible to play a passing game on that pitch of ours, but a few Rovers supporting mates reckon he was our best player last weekend.

22 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Has Pringle disappointed? He may not have lived up to the hype from some Latics fans (does anyone?!) but he has been solid and his delivery from set pieces has been excellent at times.

I agree with all this.

He looked a little out of sorts while he was finding his fitness but seems an important part of the way we're currently playing. It's no coincidence that we appear much more threatening from set pieces but for whatever reason, he incurs the wrath of the North Stand every time he fails to play the quick pass.

Personally, I'd love to see him in a team playing the way we did when Wellens was caretaker manager.

4 hours ago, palmer1 said:

If you’re going off how much money he earns compared to his performance levels I’d be confident we’d all agree he’s disappointed.

He’s a player deemed by 4 clubs as fit for the Championship, the prime age of his career. Would you argue that he’s reached the levels you’d expect from a Championship (or too end League 1) player?

4 hours ago, palmer1 said:

He seems to be getting better and better each game looks allot fitter then he did in his first game shame we didnt have him earlier in the season

23 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

If you’re going off how much money he earns compared to his performance levels I’d be confident we’d all agree he’s disappointed.

How much money does he earn and how much money are we paying him or his club for his services exactly?  Because going off that post you have made a big assumption based on those figures.

31 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

He’s a player deemed by 4 clubs as fit for the Championship, the prime age of his career. Would you argue that he’s reached the levels you’d expect from a Championship (or too end League 1) player?

Unless a player is supremely talented or truly abysmal, then any measure of performance between those two is surely a subjective response. I may think Pringle is acquitting himself well, you may think he is waste of space. We seem to have more than a few candidates of that ilk in the Latics squad. Personally I think he is doing ok and will keep improving with more match time.   

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

I have idea how much he earns? 

He has had a serious injury hasn't he which has restricted his playing time at Preston? He needs time to get up to speed and I don't think our pitch helps any of the midfielders. He has played 10 times from Preston in 2 years so what were you expecting? If he was showing the form he produced at Rotherham he wouldn't be anywhere near us loan or otherwise. 

Pringle's not had the (obvious) impact I was expecting or actually been the type of player I thought he was.

As his fitness has got better and better though so have our results.....

Might be coincidence, might not be....

On another note - he's more one footed than Long John fucking Silver... 

Edited by HarryBosch

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

I have idea how much he earns? 

He has had a serious injury hasn't he which has restricted his playing time at Preston? He needs time to get up to speed and I don't think our pitch helps any of the midfielders. He has played 10 times from Preston in 2 years so what were you expecting? If he was showing the form he produced at Rotherham he wouldn't be anywhere near us loan or otherwise. 

Why wouldn't he be near us? We’ve thrown a bit of money about lately and Preston are 7th(?) in the Championship.

Given a Championship side signed him for a fee from another Championship club, and he’s on a 3 year-deal, you’ve got to think he’s on £4K+ a week at least. How much we’re paying of that I don’t know, but I bet there were more suitors than us for his services. 

That being said, Byrne hasn’t done much either recently, and they’re similar players, so maybe there’s something bigger which is causing our creative players to be struggling 

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

Why wouldn't he be near us? We’ve thrown a bit of money about lately and Preston are 7th(?) in the Championship.

Given a Championship side signed him for a fee from another Championship club, and he’s on a 3 year-deal, you’ve got to think he’s on £4K+ a week at least. How much we’re paying of that I don’t know, but I bet there were more suitors than us for his services. 

That being said, Byrne hasn’t done much either recently, and they’re similar players, so maybe there’s something bigger which is causing our creative players to be struggling 

He wouldn't be anywhere near us because if he was showing the same form he was in at Rovrum hed be playing in the championship. Not a lg1 relegation battle, I thought that would be obvious.

Like I said I don't know what he's earning, I don't care, its irrelevant and nothing to do with his form which hasn't been bad anyway. 

52 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

He wouldn't be anywhere near us because if he was showing the same form he was in at Rovrum hed be playing in the championship. Not a lg1 relegation battle, I thought that would be obvious.

Like I said I don't know what he's earning, I don't care, its irrelevant and nothing to do with his form which hasn't been bad anyway. 

Surely the cost of a player and the expectations for that player are intertwined..?

13 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Surely the cost of a player and the expectations for that player are intertwined..?

The fee paid for a player? Yes (if you know it). A guess of what he might be earning elsewhere and how much we are paying of that? No.

He's played something like 10 games in 2 years and had a bad injury? That and our current circumstances should be used to judge him. Could probably do better (same for every player) but getting better (same for every player)