January transfer window

I’d have mixed feelings if Clarke went. He was immense last season, pops up with goals and is great to have around the other players apparently. On the other hand, I reckon he’s on a decent wage so is a waste to be on the bench and last season took it out of him a bit. If we can get cash for him too, that may be a bonus. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

I’d have mixed feelings if Clarke went. He was immense last season, pops up with goals and is great to have around the other players apparently. On the other hand, I reckon he’s on a decent wage so is a waste to be on the bench and last season took it out of him a bit. If we can get cash for him too, that may be a bonus. 

I agree with all of that, but Gerrard will be on decent money as well. I know he’s younger but I just prefer Clarke. Only my opinion but it’s Wellens’ opinion that counts and it looks like he’s being shown the door. It’s a sad way to go though for someone who was so immense for us last season. 

16 minutes ago, Greenfield Latic said:

I would rather have Clarke over Gerrard

I'd rather have neither but I suppose that would be for another thread, neither fit in with the way Wellens wants to play the game and if we could shift both on we'd be doing well.

11 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

I agree with all of that, but Gerrard will be on decent money as well. I know he’s younger but I just prefer Clarke. Only my opinion but it’s Wellens’ opinion that counts and it looks like he’s being shown the door. It’s a sad way to go though for someone who was so immense for us last season. 

How is it sad? He is leaving to go to a club he knows and he knows they want him. A good move for both I would say especially at 36 yrs old.

11 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

I prefer Clarke out of the 2. He’d be on more money, is actually worth a fee and, like you say, Wellens prefers Gerrard at the moment though. 

Just now, whittles left foot said:

How is it sad? He is leaving to go to a club he knows and he knows they want him. A good move for both I would say especially at 36 yrs old.

Say what you want. I think it’s a sad way to treat a club captain who along with Ripley last season was partly responsible for a record number of clean sheets in a team that largely struggled all season. I hope it is a good move for him. He’s been great for us!

7 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Say what you want. I think it’s a sad way to treat a club captain who along with Ripley last season was partly responsible for a record number of clean sheets in a team that largely struggled all season. I hope it is a good move for him. He’s been great for us!

So we keep him to the end of the season and then release him-he may not play much for us and he does seem to be someone `who wants to play'. Still can't see how you think we are treating him a bit shabby?

2 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So we keep him to the end of the season and then release him-he may not play much for us and he does seem to be someone `who wants to play'. Still can't see how you think we are treating him a bit shabby?

You don’t need to see, it’s all about opinions. Bury’s gain will be our loss. He should be kept as cover. He played every minute of every game last season. He’s not past it, and I reckon he’s quicker than the younger Gerrard, and he certainly doesn’t get turned as easily.

Wellens should free up some of the wage bill by letting the likes of Flynn and Green go. They add little or nothing to the squad.

2 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Wellens would shift Gerrard on too if he could. When he says that Kean Bryan is the best defender at the club, a converted midfielder with 3months experience at centre half that tells you what he thinks about Gerrard and Clarke 

It doesn’t tell you that. It tells you what he thinks of Kean Bryan only. 

1 minute ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Wellens would shift Gerrard on too if he could. When he says that Kean Bryan is the best defender at the club, a converted midfielder with 3months experience at centre half that tells you what he thinks about Gerrard and Clarke 

Doesn't everybody think that Bryan is the best defender at the club?  With the best will in the world Clarke & Gerrard are lower league journeymen (not a bad thing).  There's a fair chance Bryan's career may turn out better than that

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Doesn't everybody think that Bryan is the best defender at the club?  With the best will in the world Clarke & Gerrard are lower league journeymen (not a bad thing).  There's a fair chance Bryan's career may turn out better than that

Gerrard and Clarke both played a fair amount in the Championship, I reckon that’s where Bryan will get to. 

The point I’m making and I’m sure we’ll see come the end of the season is that Wellens wants young, athletic energetic players all over the park

53 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

I would have Clarke in the side over gerrard any day, better player and better leader.

41 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

He's not that inexperienced. He's played a CB for Citeh's Under 21s or whatever they call themselves now. He's said before that he's quite comfortable playing there. He's a terrific prospect and that is not being detrimental to either Clarke or Gerrard.

27 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

A lot of people being very sentimental here. Yes, he was excellent last season. But this season, he has looked like he has never played football before in his life. He should have retired immediately after the Carlisle game at the start of November...

What a ridiculous thing to say!

31 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

A lot of people being very sentimental here. Yes, he was excellent last season. But this season, he has looked like he has never played football before in his life. He should have retired immediately after the Carlisle game at the start of November...

Sentimental no?? Just that a lot of people think he's better than gerrard, as for retiring after the Carlisle game, what a stupid thing to say.

31 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Sentimental no?? Just that a lot of people think he's better than gerrard, as for retiring after the Carlisle game, what a stupid thing to say.

I’m a big fan of Clarke, he was immense last season and played a major role in keeping us up both defensively and in terms of contributing vital goals. However, looking at things objectively he has lost a few yards of pace since last season and hasn’t been as sharp. No doubt he is on a sizeable wedge too. He doesn’t seem the type to want to warm a bench either.

Clarke was found out at the start of the season when the pitches were like bowling greens and teams played football and could make him and Gerrard have to keep turning towards their own goal. That along with him being a year older.

Now the pitches are cutting up - especially ours, games become more direct which will suit Clarke and Gerrard more as the game will be in front of them rather than behind