January transfer window

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

RW has raved about McEleney and Pringle and he has other new players too.   So by his own admission he has a team of players better than when he had the amazing run of results... so what exactly is the problem?

Slightly selective here.

We have needed a LEFT fullback more or less all season and we still do not know if we have a decent one.

We have needed a dominant  mobile centre half since probably October and we still haven't signed one. 

This McEleney is becoming a bit of a joke signing as it has always been 'he is a month away' and still is.

This is some of the problem.

Just now, whittles left foot said:

Slightly selective here.

We have needed a LEFT fullback more or less all season and we still do not know if we have a decent one.

We have needed a dominant  mobile centre half since probably October and we still haven't signed one. 

This McEleney is becoming a bit of a joke signing as it has always been 'he is a month away' and still is.

This is some of the problem.

Hang on.  I'm puzzled.  Are you saying the team and players available is worse than when he had the run of results?  

I'm glad we have Doyle rather than Cole to be honest.

We have four centre backs, they should be able to work it out between themselves, a lot of goals have been coming down the full back areas.

He was pretty damning about the trialists, hopefully that gets parked for the time being at least.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'm glad we have Doyle rather than Cole to be honest.

We have four centre backs, they should be able to work it out between themselves, a lot of goals have been coming down the full back areas.

He was pretty damning about the trialists, hopefully that gets parked for the time being at least.

I think its more that RW needs to work it out.  He has the players to sort it, so sort it he must.  Not liking this blame culture he seems to be adopting.

Just now, kowenicki said:

I think its more that RW needs to work it out.  He has the players to sort it, so sort it he must.  Not liking this blame culture he seems to be adopting.

Yes, a few worrying signs that he is becoming David Dunn Mark II but hopefully things may settle down now.

4 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Hang on.  I'm puzzled.  Are you saying the team and players available is worse than when he had the run of results?  

What do you mean by available?

Hunt out injured. Doyle out injured. McEleney out injured. Gerrard apparently crocked at present.

Problem positions not addressed.

From our league position this is not a good squad of players.

Just now, whittles left foot said:

What do you mean by available?

Hunt out injured. Doyle out injured. McEleney out injured. Gerrard apparently crocked at present.

Problem positions not addressed.

From our league position this is not a good squad of players.

All will be available.  The squad is as good, if not better, than when we had the run of results.  The dramatic change in results is alarming and not purely down to the players available imo.  It cant be.

16 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Slightly selective there.  Its was clearly a joint effort trying to sign these other higher profile players.  RW and AL.  They have to want to come too you know and perhaps being near the arse of the table and having a rookie manager wasn't helpful.

RW has raved about McEleney and Pringle and he has other new players too.   So by his own admission he has a team of players better than when he had the amazing run of results... so what exactly is the problem?

The problem is RW is unhappy,  he's missed  out on 3 or 4 quality additions.

Also we are only 1 player stronger than last week, and he is an unknown having not played for  6 months.

And 1 players extra from the past months results.

It's undeniable we are stronger with Doyle, Byrne and Bryand in, but that is not RW's reference point, he was starting from the takeover at least and possibly earlier.

The original intention was Reserves too, the net effect of the window is we have got rid of the reserves without substantially strengthening the first team that has leaked goals and not really scored.

February will bear this out. Either RW will have enough and start us firing again, or we will continue in the form since he was permanently appointed.

I know where my money would be right now, but am very hopeful I am wrong.

3 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

Few things in that interview that are key points for me and worrying. . "I wanted three of MY players in, but I didnt get one done." 

"We agreed a deal with Matt Mills but he decided to go to Barnsley because we couldnt give him an extra year on the contract. I thought he;d be an unbelievable signing, but we couldnt get it over the line"   BUT JOINS BARNSLEY TO END OF SEASON???? Barnsley Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of 31-year-old defender Matt Mills on a contract until the end of the 2017/18 campaign. Only 31 so a contract next year was reasonable ask for a move. 

There was a chance for Joe Mason at Wolves but that wasnt going to happen.  Off to Scotland? Dream land. 

"Omar Bogle already on way to Peterborough so we couldnt gate crash that one".  Financially? 

Devante Cole ..... money talks. A bid is good but clearly not enough to have matched  or close to Fleetwoods valuation.  

BUT the presser other day said deals agreed clearly not. Plus not keen on free agents like the Swedish lad. Weird considering how many we have had knocking about. Changed my mind and cant see Wellens lasting into next season if this is the future for club. 

He said "I didn't get that one done".

Quite an important part of the first quote.

This is more about his skills at attracting players and the current position of the club than anything imo.  People seem to want to blame the new owner already and I just don't seed that if we were going for Mills and Cole.

RW needs to improve both off and on the filed.  Rapidly.

9 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

All will be available.  The squad is as good, if not better, than when we had the run of results.  The dramatic change in results is alarming and not purely down to the players available imo.  It cant be.

Depends when Doyle comes back, but it is pretty much the same first team that has had those alarming results.

1 minute ago, singe said:

The problem is RW is unhappy,  he's missed  out on 3 or 4 quality additions.

Also we are only 1 player stronger than last week, and he is an unknown having not played for  6 months.

And 1 players extra from the past months results.

It's undeniable we are stronger with Doyle, Byrne and Bryand in, but that is not RW's reference point, he was starting from the takeover at least and possibly earlier.

The original intention was Reserves too, the net effect of the window is we have got rid of the reserves without substantially strengthening the first team that has leaked goals and not really scored.

February will bear this out. Either RW will have enough and start us firing again, or we will continue in the form since he was permanently appointed.

I know where my money would be right now, but am very hopeful I am wrong.

Yes, HE missed out.  See my post above.  Funds were clearly available if we are going after the likes of Cole.   HE has a job to do.... he needs to get better at it.

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

All will be available.

When? We have 16 games left-some clubs below us have 4 games in hand. We are not in a position to hang around.

8 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

The dramatic change in results is alarming and not purely down to the players available imo.

What? So what is it down too-Wellens not good enough?

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Who you gonna blame when the fans turn on RW then? You were quite vocal that Jewell was the problem a month ago, make your mind up.

I said our form drop coincided with his arrival, it did.  We now have new data, it has continued since he left.  So we can probably rule out Jewell as an influence for good or bad.  RW is the constant.  The players can do it... how do YOU explain the massive change in fortunes?

If RW cant sort this with the players he has then he isn't good enough.  So yes, I will blame him.  So will AL... and he will be gone.

Yes, HE missed out.  See my post above.  Funds were clearly available if we are going after the likes of Cole.   HE has a job to do.... he needs to get better at it.

It's a tad confusing.

He's said that he is frustrated that he did not get key additions. He's said we were not ready soon enough-presumably because of the takeover, but it could be a criticism of AL.

He said we were too late for signing Mills, yet we were pipped by Barnsley's late bid.

He said we were in for Cole and needed to be aggressive and quicker (surely a criticism of the Chairman) but then says Wigan came in later and yet were successful.

Is it about money? What else could it be because we were pipped late on.

The cynic in me is he is under great pressure, and apportioning blame elsewhere. I want to be wrong.

He's not painting a picture of a happy ship. He needs to get the players he has got performing to get points on the board, but is opening saying they are not good enough and he wanted them replaced. He has to try and motivate them, but he has made it much harder for himself.

A dangerous game IMHO. Alarm bells are ringing.

I said our form drop coincided with his arrival, it did.  We now have new data, it has continued since he left.  So we can probably rule out Jewell as an influence for good or bad.  RW is the constant.  The players can do it... how do YOU explain the massive change in fortunes?

If RW cant sort this with the players he has then he isn't good enough.  So yes, I will blame him.  So will AL... and he will be gone.

That is fair enough.

2 minutes ago, singe said:

It's a tad confusing.

He's said that he is frustrated that he did not get key additions. He's said we were not ready soon enough-presumably because of the takeover, but it could be a criticism of AL.

He said we were too late for signing Mills, yet we were pipped by Barnsley's late bid.

He said we were in for Cole and needed to be aggressive and quicker (surely a criticism of the Chairman) but then says Wigan came in later and yet were successful.

Is it about money? What else could it be because we were pipped late on.

The cynic in me is he is under great pressure, and apportioning blame elsewhere. I want to be wrong.

He's not painting a picture of a happy ship. He needs to get the players he has got performing to get points on the board, but is opening saying they are not good enough and he wanted them replaced. He has to try and motivate them, but he has made it much harder for himself.

A dangerous game IMHO. Alarm bells are ringing.

Yes, it is a bit worrying.  It is beginning to look like its never his fault...  I'm trying to remember if he has ever really taken any of the blame in a post match interview.  I know he has called put players plenty of time, individually and as a group.  Getting worried.

Don't think you can complain too much on deadline day when your 2 targets go to A, championship club Barnsley

and B, chamionship elect club Wigan.

Put it down to experience and crack on, we should have enough to get out of trouble so it is up to Wellens to produce.

5 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Don't think you can complain too much on deadline day when your 2 targets go to A, championship club Barnsley

and B, chamionship elect club Wigan.

Put it down to experience and crack on, we should have enough to get out of trouble so it is up to Wellens to produce.

You really think we have enough to get out of trouble? I don't I think we are down - not signing the centrehalf and a proven left back will be the difference, happy to be proved wrong mind.

More than happy for Wellens to continue win, lose or draw because unlike previous inadequate appointments he has showed glimpses of what he can do, what will replacing him now acheive anyway? Add to that our next manager is likely to be a french nobody who could take us anywhere then I'd suggest we back Richie 100%.