January transfer window

3 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Still happy to sit back and receive no ka-myoo-ni-ka-shun from the owner.....?

In fact, he did an interview & a press conference just 6 days ago.

There's nothing pressing in my mind that I'm thinking he should be kom-yoo-ni-kate-ing to me... 

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You really think we have enough to get out of trouble? I don't I think we are down - not signing the centrehalf and a proven left back will be the difference, happy to be proved wrong mind.

More than happy for Wellens to continue win, lose or draw because unlike previous inadequate appointments he has showed glimpses of what he can do, what will replacing him now acheive anyway? Add to that our next manager is likely to be a french nobody who could take us anywhere then I'd suggest we back Richie 100%.

I do think we have enough, for all that people bang on about our defensive frailties ( which admittedly at times are moments of suicide ) i think our problem lies with the fact that we tend to score only 1 goal per game.

If we had score 2 per game over the last couple of months,we would be doing ok.Apart from the odd tonking, we usually only concede 1 goal.

Be more adventurous going forward and things will improve.

So Mills apparently has gone to Barnsley until the end of the season but would have agreed a deal with us if we could give him another year. right?

I would guess we offered him a deal until the end of the season  but couldn't offer him more due to FFP and our league position. If we were mid table I think he'd and guaranteed safety maybe he gets his year.

In the end it comes down to 6 months in the championship or league 1. he made the right choice.

our wage bill is massively to high. we have to be sensible to get it in order with half a mind on next season.

25 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Don't think you can complain too much on deadline day when your 2 targets go to A, championship club Barnsley

and B, chamionship elect club Wigan.

Put it down to experience and crack on, we should have enough to get out of trouble so it is up to Wellens to produce.

If Mills & Cole were the No.1 targets why wait until the eleventh hour on deadline day to complete the deal. Perhaps the players were just keeping their options open and we were just unlucky in that the teams they have ended up at were in or heading for the Championship. I don’t suppose the prospect of a 1st division relegation battle would have helped our cause either.

The fact that we were in the mix for these players gives me hope for our team strengthening next season....just have to stay up now?

1 hour ago, steveoafc said:

Wellens also not a fan of out of contract players. He says they're without a club for a reason, maybe a disruptive influence in the dressing room or simply not good enough. 

Somehow we need a CB in imo 

There were plenty  of big fit strong centre backs available on loan, and  in non league. Maybe we don't have much of a scouting network now?

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

I'm neither happy or unhappy about it.

You? 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

In fact, he did an interview & a press conference just 6 days ago.

There's nothing pressing in my mind that I'm thinking he should be kom-yoo-ni-kate-ing to me... 

He said nowt of substance [in relation to his plan] in that interview and prezzer however.....

I'd like to hear more, but I can wait/watch....... however he can't have his manager/coach [whatever he wants to call it] gobbing off about how he's unhappy he didn't get some of the players he wanted, while having others thrust upon him.... unless that is, those thrust upon him are good enough. Mr. Lemsagam's record so far is iffy at best;

Placide - Started brilliantly, gone right off the boil.

Gevaro - OK.

Queensy - Didn't work out.

Maouche - Clearly not up to standard and a 2 deal looks foolish.

Omrani - Nowhere near good enough either, 1 year deal was too much.

De Le Paz - TBC

Nazon - TBC

Moimbe - TBC.

.....and there may be more to come over the next few days/weeks....?

If this is 'the plan' and the standard of thrustee does not improve markedly..... we are fooked, Leyton Orient style.

I hope he's an absolute genius who unearths gems faster than a Hatton Garden diamond dealer..... but if he doesn't, we [via the trust?] need to attempt to encourage him to review his plan [whatever it is?], quickly.

Edited by lookersstandandy

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Doyle, Bryan, Byrne - played and to great effect

Pringle - played and to some effect but still obviously not match fit

Benyu - played but to no effect

Nazon - played once and to good effect

Zeus, Moimbé, McEleny  not yet played

So not quite as you make out.

But defensively our approach and personnel needs changing!

Ok so if played good individually that does not matter, all that matters is what they do collectively which to date is not working the league table does not lie, trouble is we thought our squad is far better than it is that is why we are in this position also we are banking on Doyle hitting the ground running and having a rich vein of form which he did earlier in the season, just adding a touch of realism and facts.

Of course no what effect the takeover has had behind the scenes.

Edited by mickjagger

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

What about all those players that were ringing Richie desperate to sign for us after seeing our "scintillating" football earlier on in the season...?

Maybe Abdallah said you're not having any of them..... agree to sign/play my trialists, or get back out on the training ground and put the cones out......

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Yes, HE missed out.  See my post above.  Funds were clearly available if we are going after the likes of Cole.   HE has a job to do.... he needs to get better at it.

Agreed. While I think there’s issues of who’s signing who. The simple fact is, he’s not getting the best out of them at the minute. It needs to change rapidly. 

43 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Maybe Abdallah said you're not having any of them..... agree to sign/play my trialists, or get back out on the training ground and put the cones out......

...and yet he let him have a go at the 2 or 3 step-up players Wellen's mentioned?  You don't let up do you.  Give the guy a chance.

1 hour ago, OldHallam said:

No he didnt according to the MEN article., he is quoted as saying as I typed. ". and checked carefully. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/oldham-athletic-richie-wellens-latics-14232009

Not sure the inclusion of "that" by me matters.  It was the "I" that was important.

35 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

As ever with Latics-saying you were in for somebody and actually delivering  signings seems to be a massive gulf. Hoped this would change with new owner-especially being an (Ex) agent.

We said we were in for Byrne, Bryan and Doyle and got them, what I want to know is - if Wellens isn't upto it why has he persuaded all three of the quality loan signings to come back, one even signing permanently and play for him in a relegation battle when all three could of opted for easier/other options, it would appear the players have faith in him even though some of our fans seem to doubt him.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

There were plenty  of big fit strong centre backs available on loan, and  in non league. Maybe we don't have much of a scouting network now?

Now if only we knew an experienced scout who could help the club in it's hour of need :D

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

...and yet he let him have a go at the 2 or 3 step-up players Wellen's mentioned?  You don't let up do you.  Give the guy a chance.

....why is my pointing out, that our uncertainty [and my unease] over 'the plan'..... is tantamount to not giving him a chance...?

Edited by lookersstandandy