January transfer window

6 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Clarke was found out at the start of the season when the pitches were like bowling greens and teams played football and could make him and Gerrard have to keep turning towards their own goal. That along with him being a year older.

Now the pitches are cutting up - especially ours, games become more direct which will suit Clarke and Gerrard more as the game will be in front of them rather than behind

Said this myself a few months ago. That Clarke and Gerrard would be useful on ploughed field type pitches in the winter.  If Clarke is leaving I guess Bryan must be staying and his wage (Clarke’s wage) will be used elsewhere.

Edited by johnafoafc

1 hour ago, johnafoafc said:

Said this myself a few months ago. That Clarke and Gerrard would be useful on ploughed field type pitches in the winter.  If Clarke is leaving I guess Bryan must be staying and his wage (Clarke’s wage) will be used elsewhere.

I’ve heard that Bryan is off to Preston. Crying shame but a good fit for him. 

I get the impressions wellens wants a complete overhaul

4 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

I think Bryan would be one of the few spared the overhaul, one thing worth considering and Wellens was fully aware of this when he took the job is that many of these new players may be brought into the club without the managers knowledge and he will be expected to work with them - just like Shez was, we are probably suffering now from training sessions being overcrowded and literally a whose who from day to day, we have one of the worst training infrastructures in the division yet Wellens has a squad of near on thirty players to work with and all the shit that goes with that, talk of overhauls is great and it is whats needed but the reality is its unlikely to happen.

5 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

I doubt he wants one, and if he does I’d get rid of him tomorrow. We have a very decent team with a livewire striker in it. I can’t think of anything more daft than getting rid of most.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I think Bryan would be one of the few spared the overhaul, one thing worth considering and Wellens was fully aware of this when he took the job is that many of these new players may be brought into the club without the managers knowledge and he will be expected to work with them - just like Shez was, we are probably suffering now from training sessions being overcrowded and literally a whose who from day to day, we have one of the worst training infrastructures in the division yet Wellens has a squad of near on thirty players to work with and all the shit that goes with that, talk of overhauls is great and it is whats needed but the reality is its unlikely to happen.

A squad of 30 + yet he  couldn't fill the bench in a recent match. What does that say about some of them?

Edited by BP1960

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't feel the same.

He has shown no sign of playing players that he doesn't rate.

He doesn't strike me as the type to having anything forced on him he doesn't want. As AL has been around so much, and entirely possible AL was at least asked if he approved of RW taking over.

Also as AL is no longer an agent, he does not quite have the financial incentive to get the players on our books.

He'll be offered players from AL contact book, but I am confident RW will have the final say.

39 minutes ago, Andy Perimeter West said:

Don't forget RW had players ringing the phone loving the way we play wanting to join!!!! so I expect a new team coming in ?

Far be it from me to call Richie Wellens a liar, but I would be absolutely amazed if he had players from different clubs ringing up and asking him if they could join (unless they were from Salford City, Harrogate etc), and they sure as shit wouldn't be asking to join us given our current style of play...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

I’d have mixed feelings if Clarke went. He was immense last season, pops up with goals and is great to have around the other players apparently. On the other hand, I reckon he’s on a decent wage so is a waste to be on the bench and last season took it out of him a bit. If we can get cash for him too, that may be a bonus. 

The thing is though - he's the kind of character who should be kept around the club long term in any capacity. He could help with the coaching (he probably just does anyway) and looks a cert as a future manager. We never do this any more and suffer as a result. 

And he'll still probably find form again and pop up with a few goals. 

13 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Wellens would shift Gerrard on too if he could. When he says that Kean Bryan is the best defender at the club, a converted midfielder with 3months experience at centre half that tells you what he thinks about Gerrard and Clarke 

Bryan himself has said CB is his position.  

4 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

The thing is though - he's the kind of character who should be kept around the club long term in any capacity. He could help with the coaching (he probably just does anyway) and looks a cert as a future manager. We never do this any more and suffer as a result. 

That sort of planning costs money though, and if there's one thing we know about corney...

4 hours ago, NewBlue said:

I doubt he wants one, and if he does I’d get rid of him tomorrow. We have a very decent team with a livewire striker in it. I can’t think of anything more daft than getting rid of most.

Exactly.

The players he's said he's dragged a lot out of but haven't got the consistency (hence playing at this end of league 1) will be decent cover if replaced by 3 or so of a better standard. And they know how he wants to play.