Plymouth - the first of six games in five weeks

Plymouth H

Bradford H

Blackburn A

MK Dons H

Rochdale A

Southend H

If we are going to get out of the drop zone then the next five weeks offer an opportunity for the team to step up and return to winning ways. 

Our chances of doing so will be greatly enhanced if we can bring in a striker and a central defender soon.

All are winnable with the obvious (to me) exception..?

Time to step up Richie and team. 

38 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Plymouth H    W

Bradford H      D

Blackburn A    L 

MK Dons H     W

Rochdale A     D

Southend H    W

If we are going to get out of the drop zone then the next five weeks offer an opportunity for the team to step up and return to winning ways. 

Our chances of doing so will be greatly enhanced if we can bring in a striker and a central defender soon.

Time to step up Richie and team. 

11 points...

6 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Plymouth H

Bradford H

Blackburn A

MK Dons H

Rochdale A

Southend H

Yeah our home record against Southend is pretty crap.

Seriously if everyone connected to the club goes to Blackburn thinking we’re bound to lose this, we will. How many times has a side in dreadful form beaten a side in great form due to it being a derby? It would be typical Latics for us to go and beat Blackburn.

The last time we played at Ewood in the league cup on 12/09/2001 we were in the game right until the end and only lost 2-0. Blackburn won the league cup that year. Unless they have made massive changes to their side since we beat them 1-0 there’s absolutely no reason why we can’t do the double over them.

Can see us going a back 3 for this (purely down to the fact that we only really have 3 defenders available)

I reckon it'll be something like (probably totally wrong!)

Placide

Dummigan

Wilson

Bryan

McLaughlin (WB)

Fane

Pringle

Byrne

Nepomuceno (WB)

Holloway

Davies

Desperately need 3 points here!

4 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Can see us going a back 3 for this (purely down to the fact that we only really have 3 defenders available)

Placide

Dummigan

Wilson

Bryan

McLaughlin (WB)

Fane

Pringle

Byrne

Nepomuceno (WB)

Holloway

Davies

That's probably the best line up we have, as you say, with the lack of defenders available.  The team still has it's issues though.  The partnership up front isn't ideal, even though I see the value of both players individually.  I rate Nepomuceno as a winger but wouldn't trust him as wing-back.  Finally while the back three is balanced with Bryan there and the experience of Wilson, it's also probably the shortest defence we've ever played.

There's also the concern of what happened last time we played a back 3 against Plymouth, even though Bryan on the left would improve it a lot.  Hopefully we get the extra defender in to give us the option of playing a back 4.

15 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Placide

Dummigan

Wilson

Bryan

McLaughlin (WB)

Fane

Pringle

Byrne

Nepomuceno (WB)

Holloway

Davies

I'm sure in Wellens interview either before or after the Shrewsbury game he hinted Gerrard may be available on Saturday.  Think he talked about not needing to risk him on Tuesday as Edmundson was available or something like that.

But we definitely need width, especially if playing 2 'target men' type strikers.  Last time Nepomuceno started was the Leicester game, other than that we've been playing with 4 mainly central midfielders and little width.  Seems a strange selection to me.  If a back 4 with Gerrard in it, then I'd go Nepo on the left, play Benyu out wide and try Pringle and Byrne in the middle.  Try and have a bit of balance.  Or if he wants more tackle in that midfield, play Pringle and Fane central with Byrne floating wide/centre.

Just looking at recent goals, quite a few come from Gardner either not tracking or not closing down so would give him a rest.

7 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

That's probably the best line up we have, as you say, with the lack of defenders available.  The team still has it's issues though.  The partnership up front isn't ideal, even though I see the value of both players individually.  I rate Nepomuceno as a winger but wouldn't trust him as wing-back.  Finally while the back three is balanced with Bryan there and the experience of Wilson, it's also probably the shortest defence we've ever played.

There's also the concern of what happened last time we played a back 3 against Plymouth, even though Bryan on the left would improve it a lot.  Hopefully we get the extra defender in to give us the option of playing a back 4.

Totally agree. The height is an issue and the back 3 as opposed to back 4 against Plymouth could well be a major factor in not going for it! Nepomuceno I have been quite impressed with, good technically but was dreadful at lwb/lb away at Rotherham.

If you wanted to go to a back 4 you could make do with McLaughlin at right back, Wilson into centre back and Dummigan out to left back.

I don't see many other options sadly. Could play Hamer as somebody has mentioned but he can't seem to last 90 mins which is understandable given the change from youth team to first team football, I do like the look of him though!

51 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I'm sure in Wellens interview either before or after the Shrewsbury game he hinted Gerrard may be available on Saturday.  Think he talked about not needing to risk him on Tuesday as Edmundson was available or something like that.

But we definitely need width, especially if playing 2 'target men' type strikers.  Last time Nepomuceno started was the Leicester game, other than that we've been playing with 4 mainly central midfielders and little width.  Seems a strange selection to me.  If a back 4 with Gerrard in it, then I'd go Nepo on the left, play Benyu out wide and try Pringle and Byrne in the middle.  Try and have a bit of balance.  Or if he wants more tackle in that midfield, play Pringle and Fane central with Byrne floating wide/centre.

Just looking at recent goals, quite a few come from Gardner either not tracking or not closing down so would give him a rest.

Gardner should be deployed as an attacking midfielder, not tracking back. He could score goals for us if higher up the pitch, it would also conserve his energy.

The other way of looking at it is that it was nice whilst it lasted.  The first nine games put us at so much of a disadvantage that once the new manager bounce wore off (and Jewell added his pearls of wisdom - yes I still think he had a negative impact and knew so made up an excuse to leave) we are where I half expected we might be.  If you keep on flirting with relegation it eventually takes you into its arms.  So no boiling over just resignation.

However I prefer the way we play now and I believe Wellens will keep us up - Northampton could be important.