Holloway

21 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ive said it elsewhere but the quartet of Davies Doyle Holloway and Nazons is the best striking options we have had in years. If the midfield and Defence could be strengthened to the same level then top 6 is a realistic target next season.

Doyle on his own is a better striking option than we’ve had in years

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, rosa said:

Good work from Amadi-Holloway (to give him the respect of his full name) in the build up to Doyle's goal. Took one for the team there.

He was outstanding when he came on.

• 5 weeks later...

He’s got great feet, deceivingly good pace and is an absolute animal. If he was a natural finisher he’d be playing at a much higher level especially with his physique.

Been a critic of his in the past but I’d start him ahead of Nazon every day of the week.

It was patently obvious to a layman that under Shez Holloway & Davies weren’t a good pairing... Richie has since said he thinks they are too similar.... when Doyle arrived, it was patently obvious to the layman that Doyle benefitted from Davies’ hold up play - big lump and mobile lad combo.... so when Davies (who I feel has been off his best for a while) was injured on Sat’day & Nazon was preferred to Holloway, I was left scratching my head. I hope he starts with Doyle at Oxford. There’s a player in there somewhere. Emile Heskey wasn’t profilic but he was an excellent foil for Michael Owen.

Edited by lookersstandandy

On 03/04/2018 at 9:33 PM, lookersstandandy said:

It was patently obvious to a layman that under Shez Holloway & Davies weren’t a good pairing... Richie has since said he thinks they are too similar.... when Doyle arrived, it was patently obvious to the layman that Doyle benefitted from Davies’ hold up play - big lump and mobile lad combo.... so when Davies (who I feel has been off his best for a while) was injured on Sat’day & Nazon was preferred to Holloway, I was left scratching my head. I hope he starts with Doyle at Oxford. There’s a player in there somewhere. Emile Heskey wasn’t profilic but he was an excellent foil for Michael Owen.

:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Put himself about a bit, but that's not what being a striker is all about. The best, indeed any who purport to be one, only have eyes for the ball and and a desire to get to it first to create a scoring opportunity for himself or team mates. Both he and Davies spent too much time wrestling centre halves to be effective. Quite a neat footballer who may progress if the penny eventually drops.

Always seemed like he couldn't be bothered - maybe he is a laid-back kind of bloke , but when you are playing football - there is usually lots of passion involved whether that's from the people watching or from getting kicked in the air on the pitch or scoring (snigger) but whichever he just didn't seem arsed... very frustrating player because with the ball at his feet he does have the talent.

Good technical ability, presence and team player as a forward but not a goalscorer.

Poacher/ goalscore required If we are to be successful.

Baxter will score goals but he will also be a player who comes deep for the ball and dictates play.

Baxter will need a player to stay ahead of him but one who scores goals and makes the runs for his through balls.

Sadly a Doyle / Rowe type player fits this but may be unachievable.

I think this is the will be most important signing of the summer as I feel we will be Ok elsewhere.

Depends who comes in - O'Grady and Miller then I'd rather have kept AAH, but bring 2 decent strikers in then fair enough.

At the minute though we're getting weaker with every deal and I'm a bit worried.

Even the videos for the #frenchlads have gone gone from playing in decent stadiums to Sunday league setups!