Wellens Out!??

At a loss to understand why his impressive start is now falling apart apart from the loss of Eoin.

I do not want a change and believe he can get us out of the mess .Certainly I don't get playing one striker up front at home is helping but stand to be corrected by those who dont want two.

Edited by Flemboy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

At a loss to understand why his impressive start is now falling apart apart from the loss of Eoin.

I do not want a change and believe he can get us out of the mess .Certainly I don't get playing one striker up front at home is helping but stand to be corrected by those who dont want two.

The loss of doyle resulted in us trying davies and Holloway up front or one man with various in behind... The issue was Duffus / Holloway / Davies are all alike so we didnt have much in the way of options... 

We need two up front and go back to basics instead of trialing so many things..players here players there... 

Left back and GK are big worries also

1 minute ago, ddot_m said:

The truth is we HAVE to sack him... at least our new owner has to.  Not something that he would want to do after 1 game, but he has no choice.

With new players coming in, I think Wellens will have a few more games to save his neck from the chopping block.

I don't think he's hopeless as a manager by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not sure he's setting the squad up for the relegation battle that we are clearly in.

I can understand people wanting us to get in a more experienced manager (if we can afford Grayson we would be mad not to go for him) but it has been the most turbulent season in recent years and sacking Wellens would not settle things down at all.  So I'd want him to stay for the season and go from there.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

I wouldn't sack Wellens because I dread to think which manager AL has got lined up, probably Nantes reserve team manager.

I also fear this. As much as I’m critical of Corney and co I’d really hope this is one thing he’d correctly advise Abdallah on. He’s good at picking managers to get us out of the shit.

There’s a bigger budget available now. Grayson’s last job was disastrous so I can’t imagine there’ll be many Championship/top League One clubs queuing up for his services. I doubt he wants to be out of work for too long which means, unfortunately for him, he’ll have to take a significant pay cut. I’m probably being deluded here but because of the nature of his failure at Sunderland I genuinely believe he’s a realistic target for us. Make it happen.

2 hours ago, Markspark92 said:

Seems like he’s been found out and has no plan B, teams have become wise to our tactics, he needs a plan B and fast his style of play will not work on our pitch, unfortunately  will have to be a change to long ball at home  and play Davies and Holloway away we might be able to play a bit !

“Doesn’t have a plan b” is just one of those cliche’s every fan uses to describe a manager they want sacked, but the fact is taking off a midfielder and sticking on another striker 25 minutes into the first half is executing a plan B. He made a change and our performance improved significantly because of it. 

3 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

“Doesn’t have a plan b” is just one of those cliche’s every fan uses to describe a manager they want sacked, but the fact is taking off a midfielder and sticking on another striker 25 minutes into the first half is executing a plan B. He made a change and our performance improved significantly because of it. 

Maybe he just goes straight from plan A to plan C skipping B as he doesn’t have one ? But yeah your right people say whatever suits their agenda at the time. 

Last week I was very much in favour of keeping Wellens. My opinion remains largely the same but the last two games have shown some holes in his management, things which he needs to learn from quickly.

He certainly talks a good game. Building an identity, playing good attacking football etc. (Yes, we’ve heard it all before.) He seems to have his plan in mind, but translating that onto the playing side is seeming a problem.

To me, building an identity is a great idea, however, something that you should concentrate on in the summer, not mid relegation battle. Now, he needs to knuckle down, play some horrible football and get the basics right. Even if we have to win scruffy, points on the board is all that matters. His fancy attacking football can wait for pre-season.

I think he’ll keep his job. From what I’ve seen, him and Abdallah seem to have a fairly decent relationship and this “brand” of football that he is trying to impose will sit well with the new owner, especially if his intentions are to sell-on the Foreign imports.

Keep Wellens, but he needs to adapt to circumstances. Stop talking about missing Doyle, shut up shop at the back and stop playing Davies on his own up top.

He sounded very, very down in his interview with BBC radio Manchester. Almost beaten. . 

Right at the end, he was asked

‘do you think you’ve got the players to get out of it’ and he said something along lines off, ‘well, we’ve got players who’ve been through it before, so you’d like to think so’ 

Hardly inspiring. 

I just get the feeling that everything about the job is getting on top of him. 

9 hours ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Bollocks

Thanks!

I didn’t want him gone before the game, but yesterday’s initial tactics and set up were so obviously wrong that I now doubt he has any idea what he is doing.

Yesterday we were back to the bad Sheridan period when the game is lost before we kick a ball.

Given our form can he keep

us up?

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

He sounded very, very down in his interview with BBC radio Manchester. Almost beaten. . 

Right at the end, he was asked

‘do you think you’ve got the players to get out of it’ and he said something along lines off, ‘well, we’ve got players who’ve been through it before, so you’d like to think so’ 

Hardly inspiring. 

I just get the feeling that everything about the job is getting on top of him. 

He wears his heart on his sleeve and although its a quality I personally like and admire its not one thats going to serve him well as a manager because generally they tend to have a more balanced neutral approach to things.

One real problem I can see currently is the size of the squad and the nationalities within it, hows he supposed to get any quality work done with the squad when it appears he will be having unknown players thrust on him left, right and centre? We're right in the middle of a relegation scrap and some unknown reserve player from Nantes is the answer? Take away all these foreign imports and we probably would have a squad he could work with, these new lads of AL's (and personally I include Placide in this) just ain't up to it and aint the players you want in a dogfight, ultimately bringing in more of the same ilk will lead to one thing and thats RELEGATION, for all SC's faults come January he found the right manager who brought in the right player but this time I fear we are well and truly fucked, really hope I'm wrong and RW can find the answer but personally I think the job he's got is being made near on impossible.

I'm still in the Wellens IN camp and feel our problems are small but numerous and are hitting us at the same time.

- As has been said by many, Doyle is a serious miss.

- As is Hunt.

- The introduction of Jewell and Terry upset the progression we were seeing.

- We know Jewell has gone (for reasons unknown), but Terry was brought in as 1st team coach with (I think) an emphasis on defence....and since that appointment, our defence has declined in performance and preparedness.

- Final point and the one that a few will disagree with......our most productive midfield was Fane, Gardner, Byrne and  Nepomuceno during the period prior to the arrival of Jewell and Terry. I feel something changed following their appointments because we went from an organised midfield to a group of disconnected individuals.

I'm also wondering if the said influx of foreign players will have effect on team morale, we have seen already several not catching the team on a regular basis and one gone home. I hope cliques don't develop and make it even harder to manage.

Edited by BP1960