We've been in a relegation battle for a few weeks now but I think results around us have really brought it home today.

No team has stayed up with less than 50 points since 2011 and the current points total of the clubs just above the drop zone suggest that this season will be no different. Based on current points per game it looks like 52 or 53 points could be required.

This means we probably need 7 wins and the odd draw or 6 wins and a good few draws from our remaining 16 matches.

It's still very doable and we are in a much better position than we have been at this stage in the last couple of seasons. We need to pick up quickly though or there really won't be much room for error.

We’ve been in a relegation battle for most of the season, it’s not just a few weeks. We’re not a team who’ve been flying high for most of the season that has suddenly turned to pot and got dragged into the mire. The little run Wellens took us on when he took over was the exception, not the rule.

The defence needs sorting, it’s the only way we’ll stay up. Become hard to beat again, like Shez made us in his two escapes. Sign new defenders, bring in a defensive coach, whatever the solution is it needs to be found quickly.

8 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

We’ve been in a relegation battle for most of the season, it’s not just a few weeks. We’re not a team who’ve been flying high for most of the season that has suddenly turned to pot and got dragged into the mire. The little run Wellens took us on when he took over was the exception, not the rule.

The defence needs sorting, it’s the only way we’ll stay up. Become hard to beat again, like Shez made us in his two escapes. Sign new defenders, bring in a defensive coach, whatever the solution is it needs to be found quickly.

I thought we had a coach in Paul Terry who should know about defensive duties?

10 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

I agree that we have been in a battle for most of the season but I think around the time of the win over Rochdale we had got ourselves out of it and could righly start looking at the teams above us. Clearly the results since have shown that wasn't the case.

You are spot on that the last 2 escapes have been firmly built on a string defence. It wasn't always good to watch but it was effective. I hope that Richie has learnt from that. We are told that the two Nantes defenders are either here or on their way. It's to be hoped that they are decent.

42 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

Get why Placide popular but dont see him as reliable or consistent.

I find it unbelievable that we didn't take Ripley back when he went to Bury. I can only assume that it wasn't possible because of the position the takeover was in at the time as I am sure he would have picked us over Bury.

Jonny is excellent in speeding up the game and creating opportunities from the back. That worked wonderfully whilst we were on a good run. It's not what we need right now and his weaknesses are being painfully exposed.

13 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

I find it unbelievable that we didn't take Ripley back when he went to Bury. I can only assume that it wasn't possible because of the position the takeover was in at the time as I am sure he would have picked us over Bury.

Jonny is excellent in speeding up the game and creating opportunities from the back. That worked wonderfully whilst we were on a good run. It's not what we need right now and his weaknesses are being painfully exposed.

I do not think that Goalkeeper is a major problem but left back is and needs sorting out this week, hopefully with the new french lad.

Our main problem is plain for anyone to see, being how to incorporate Byrne in a team with 2 up top! That is what Wellens is struggling with.

For what it's worth, I wondered how this season compared to the last 2 seasons. So I thought I'd look up the stats.

Season     Played       Points       Goal Difference 

2017/18      30              29                 -14

2016/17      30              28                 -14

2015/16      30              29                 -12

Déjà vu? 

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_full

10 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

For what it's worth, I wondered how this season compared to the last 2 seasons. So I thought I'd look up the stats.

Déjà vu? 

But we had shez!

52 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Déjà vu? 

Just so depressing. I am actually shocked we're still getting gates of around 3.5k. 

Edited by Kusunga_Is_God

Our last 16 games the previous 2 seasons read as:

2016/17 W:6 D:7 L:3

2015/16 W:7 D:4 L:5

Its definitely doable. We’ve got 3 of the top 6 still to play away, but other than that our run in isn’t *too* bad. 

Can't see us getting six wins unless something drastic happens in defence. It's been laughable all season. The good run disguised that. 

We seem to signing player after player to bolster the attack but the defence is neglected. Jonny P is up there amongst the worst we have had.

19 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Why did he not start Nazon? He's been playing half the season with Coventry, he's not unfit? Shocking.

11 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

RW said on Radio Manc that Nazon is not match fit and he had only intended to bring him on for 30 minutes.

To be fair, he hasn't played for a month. Bringing him on for 30 mins for a few of matches (or subbed after an hour) to gt up to match speed and tactics should be normally the best course of action surely?

He should be match fit pretty soon though.

4 hours ago, Andy b said:

Can't see us getting six wins unless something drastic happens in defence. It's been laughable all season. The good run disguised that. 

We seem to signing player after player to bolster the attack but the defence is neglected. Jonny P is up there amongst the worst we have had.

He's probably the best passer at the club.

But as a goalie, he's not up to scratch.