Bradford

Just now, oafc_lover said:

He does exactly what he’s there to do. Almost every single game. In recent weeks even his general footballing ability has improved. His passing has and we’re seeing him drive forward with the ball a hell of a lot more.

I think he’s excellent.

I really like Fane but we still concede a lot with him playing. He offers nothing going forward imo and we’ve really struggled for goals since Doyle’s injury. Time to try a more attacking side, especially at home.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I really like Fane but we still concede a lot with him playing. He offers nothing going forward imo and we’ve really struggled for goals since Doyle’s injury. Time to try a more attacking side, especially at home.

We were scoring for fun earlier in the season with him in the team.

The midfield trio isn’t working like it used to generally.

Maybe the answer is remove Fane but I think that’s harsh on the lad as individually he’s been our most consistent performer this season (Doyle aside).

Gardner seems to be the one who’s gone off the boil.

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Exactly the side I’d go for, that. As much as I like Fane we still concede a shit ton with him in, he isn’t doing a great job of protecting the defence. Get McLaughlin and Nepo putting balls in the box and I think we’ll win.

1 hour ago, ChaddySmoker said:

:mmm:So please explain why you like Fane then!

I really like Fane. Really, really. 

But I'd rather us go a different way at the moment. He doesn't/can't create or score and he's appearing a bit pointless as we're still conceding too many with him in. 

Having him on the bench for a bit with someone more likely to create or score a goal in his place doesn't make him a bad player and doesn't mean he can''t go on to have a long, successful career with us. 

Our best 11 players - and I do think he's one of them - don't necessarily make our best team.

And the 11 players who make for our best team today won't do so in 2 months. Things will change. 

Edited by HarryBosch

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

I really like Fane. Really, really. 

But I'd rather us go a different way at the moment. He doesn't/can't create or score and he's appearing a bit pointless as we're still conceding too many with him in. 

Having him on the bench for a bit with someone more likely to create or score a goal in his place doesn't make him a bad player and doesn't mean he can''t go on to have a long, successful career with us. 

Our best 11 players - and I do think he's one of them - don't necessarily make our best team.

Pretty good post this.

Top and tail of it is we don’t really know if removing Fane will make us better or worse until we try it.

Just got to hope something clicks soon and stick with it.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

He was an integral part of our only decent run of form when Wellens first came in - or does that not count? Plenty of others getting chance after chance despite underperforming, personally I don't see Fane as our biggest problem.

So were many others. Most of them in fact. 

Some players who appear shit right now will play integral parts in decent runs in the future. 

It's a team and squad game - different combinations are needed over the course of a season.

Players will be in and out of form and fitness. 

One player (or more) not doing what he's supposed to for whatever reason can sometimes even mean a different player who's done nothing wrong might need taking out too, or instead of, for the sake of tactics and/or the team. 

How come so few of you understand this? :lol:

Edited by HarryBosch

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Would swap Pringle for Gardner on above selections. I liked Gardner early season but he looks burnt out to me. Think a fortnight off might do him good and also help Pringle get up to speed.

I would probably have Pringle in instead of Gardner. The only thing that could tip me more in favour of Dan Gardner is that our best football came with a midfield 3 of him, Fane and Byrne...

10 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Maybe the answer is remove Fane but I think that’s harsh on the lad as individually he’s been our most consistent performer this season (Doyle aside).

Why does it have to be described as "harsh" though? 

Shez often said making changes doesn't mean he's necessarily "dropping" someone...

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Shez often said making changes doesn't mean he's necessarily "dropping" someone...

Because it’s harsh FOR Fane but not BY Wellens if that makes any sense.

A better word might be ‘unlucky’.

Just now, oafc_lover said:

Because it’s harsh FOR Fane but not BY Wellens if that makes any sense.

A better word might be ‘unlucky’.

He'd likely get on for the last 20 or 30 minutes anyway against tired opposition.

It'll be easier for him and easier to look good and he'll still get paid the same :grin:

19 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Pretty good post this.

Top and tail of it is we don’t really know if removing Fane will make us better or worse until we try it.

Just got to hope something clicks soon and stick with it.

This is not true. We played in the cup game at Shrewsbury without him and performed OK.

For me the further from the !st team he is the better-was really hoping we might have shifted him this window.

22 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Shez was talking shit then. If you are starting one week and then on the bench the next, you have been dropped.

FWIW, it would be very harsh to drop Fane...

I dont get this weird idea that just because Fane doesnt score or create he doesnt have too, he is there to be an insurance policy and win the ball back for the likes of Byrne to do his stuff you take the ball winner out of the playmaker will suffer too. 

A midfield 2 of Byrne and Pringle will see us get beat comfortably in the next 2 games.

Team to score first will win. 

Bradford and us are shit when losing the first goal.  

We have never come back to win, managing 4 draws and 14 defeats when we go 1 down.  Bradford have managed 1 win, 0 draws and 9 defeats when conceding first.  Terrible stats. 

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Its not harsh but witbout a better defensive midfielder to come in it is pretty stupid.

I'll always maintain a defensive midfielder is a luxury in League One given the shite we face week in, week out... 

Often shite that's also hindered by a defensive midfielder :grin:

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

I'll always maintain a defensive midfielder is a luxury in League One given the shite we face week in, week out... 

Often shite that's also hindered by a defensive midfielder :grin:

So why did Bristol city sign our Defensive midfielder Korey Smith amd then go and win the league getting 100 points?

Are you telling me that the teams who go up dont have a defensive midfielder in them Id bet they all have atleast 1.

How many goals did Mike Milligan and Nick Henry contribute towards? Did it stop us from being free scoring? or did it help the likes of Ritchie Holden Palmer etc having a couple of players in the middle to go and win the ball for them so that they could go and play.

A defensive midfielder isnt a hinderance personally I would have made it a priority over a centre back this window.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I dont get this weird idea that just because Fane doesnt score or create he doesnt have too, he is there to be an insurance policy and win the ball back for the likes of Byrne to do his stuff you take the ball winner out of the playmaker will suffer too. 

Sometimes, yes. (I think I understand what you've typed :grin: )

That's not what's been happening of late though. 

When he wasn't scoring or creating but Doyle, Davies and Byrne were it was working great - lately it hasn't been. 

He's definitely less at fault for that as an individual than most of his team mates, but.....

Maybe RW should stick with the same 11 & same system (that's not without it's merits, it often does the trick eventually), maybe he should mix it up & change it in an attempt to produce an improvement in results? 

Who knows what the right thing to do is?  

I'd say only Davies, Byrne & Bryan are "undroppable" at the moment. The rest of them are to be tinkered with, surely?

Placide

Dummigan

Bryan

Gerrard

Moimbe or Wilson

Nepomuceno

Fane

Byrne

Gardner

Davies

Nazon

Subs:

Zeus

Moimbe or Wilson

Edmundson

Pringle

Benyu

Tope

Amadi-Holloway

Give Fane, Byrne and Gardner an opportunity to get back on track in midfield. Pringle and Byrne seem to be very similar, personally at the moment I’d rather have Byrne.

Got to be two up front. Davies and Nazon should have first crack at striking up a partnership.

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

So why did Bristol city sign our Defensive midfielder Korey Smith amd then go and win the league getting 100 points?

Are you telling me that the teams who go up dont have a defensive midfielder in them Id bet they all have atleast 1.

How many goals did Mike Milligan and Nick Henry contribute towards? Did it stop us from being free scoring? or did it help the likes of Ritchie Holden Palmer etc having a couple of players in the middle to go and win the ball for them so that they could go and play.

A defensive midfielder isnt a hinderance personally I would have made it a priority over a centre back this window.

A defensive midfielder in Wigan's lineup, or Blackburn's or that Bristol City team is an affordable luxury because they've got loads of other players to create and score the goals in comparison to teams like us at the other end of the table. 

It almost makes it unfair that they have all that attacking talent and then make it even harder for the opposition by using a quality DM aswell just to make sure :lol:

We're fucked if we don't start scoring soon. Even if starting Fane was producing clean sheets (it isn't) we'd still be playing with fire because we need goals more than clean sheets if we're to get out of this latest mess. 

In a month (probably when Doyle's back) the dynamic might mean that Fane's playing an integral part in a free scoring winning side again.

I hope so because he's one of my favourite players.

Edited by HarryBosch

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Oh and, I've seen this more than once on here recently - Milligan and Henry weren't defensive midfielders.

Retract that please :grin:

41 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

This is not true. We played in the cup game at Shrewsbury without him and performed OK.

For me the further from the !st team he is the better-was really hoping we might have shifted him this window.

Sorry, which part of it “isn’t true”?