Bradford

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

May I ask again. So why do you like Fane?

I’ve already answered. He gives his all every game. It’s also fair to say his ability has improved a lot this season, he actually looks like a footballer. 

He was integral to our team during our best run this season, and it is harsh to drop him, but I just feel a more attacking approach is needed in these remaining home games. Maybe benching him won’t work and we’ll still struggle for goals until Doyle is back.  All I know is that something needs to change, and fast.

Like him or loathe him Fane has to play if he’s fit.

Believe me I’ve taken some convincing with him, he’s THE most awkward looking player when he’s got the ball that I’ve ever seen!

His weight of pass his abysmal at times, but the one thing he can do - and does do - is break up play. He puts in some tremendous tackling with those long legs of his.

Sometimes a team needs a lesser talented  player to do the dirty work for the flair players.

We just don’t seem to have any tacklers in midfield, but Fane certainly is, and he gets through a massive amount of work every game.

He might not be pleasing to the eye but I guarantee that the likes of Byrne and Gardner love playing alongside him.

Just now, oafc_lover said:

We lost the game, he didn’t play because he was injured and his replacement got subbed off at half time.

So how does being injured make a difference? He did not play. Knew you would say we lost-well we lost on New Tears Day and he was dreadful. His 'replacement ' is a fringe player-one of the ones brought in for no apparent reason which is all contributing to our crap season-again.

3 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Like him or loathe him Fane has to play if he’s fit.

Believe me I’ve taken some convincing with him, he’s THE most awkward looking player when he’s got the ball that I’ve ever seen!

His weight of pass his abysmal at times, but the one thing he can do - and does do - is break up play. He puts in some tremendous tackling with those long legs of his.

Sometimes a team needs a lesser talented  player to do the dirty work for the flair players.

We just don’t seem to have any tacklers in midfield, but Fane certainly is, and he gets through a massive amount of work every game.

He might not be pleasing to the eye but I guarantee that the likes of Byrne and Gardner love playing alongside him.

You will not read a bigger load of rubbish on here this year.

7 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So how does being injured make a difference? He did not play. Knew you would say we lost-well we lost on New Tears Day and he was dreadful. His 'replacement ' is a fringe player-one of the ones brought in for no apparent reason which is all contributing to our crap season-again.

7 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

8 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

9 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

You’re entitled to your opinion. As am I, I think. 

Such a shame you have a name of one of our golden oldies.

You do him a disservice.

39 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

A defensive midfielder in Wigan's lineup, or Blackburn's or that Bristol City team is an affordable luxury because they've got loads of other players to create and score the goals in comparison to teams like us at the other end of the table. 

It almost makes it unfair that they have all that attacking talent and then make it even harder for the opposition by using a quality DM aswell just to make sure :lol:

Not sure how serious you are being there :shock: :lol:

42 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

We're fucked if we don't start scoring soon. Even if starting Fane was producing clean sheets (it isn't) we'd still be playing with fire because we need goals more than clean sheets if we're to get out of this latest mess. 

We are but we've outscored everyonelse in the bottom half and have the worst defense in the country we keep gifting teams goals we have gone back to conceding 2 a game which got John Sheridan the sack and will see us go down if we carry on doing this we cant neglect this. Even without Doyle we have the attacking players to get us goals. If 2 of Mclaughlin Tope Byrne Gevaro find enough form to create chances 1 or 2 of Davies Nazons or Holloway will find the back of the net enough times but if we keep shipping goals it wont matter.

54 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

In a month (probably when Doyle's back) the dynamic might mean that Fane's playing an integral part in a free scoring winning side again.

I hope so because he's one of my favourite players.

Hes the one player who has come out of the last month with added credit at the moment he is doing his bit no need to take him out. Its other players who I think should be dropped.

57 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Oh and, I've seen this more than once on here recently - Milligan and Henry weren't defensive midfielders.

Retract that please :grin:

Request refused

They didnt play too many killer balls through or dprayed the ball around like John Sheridan. Box to box players? To an extent, but box to box players usually get more than 3 goals a season, we couldnt call them attacking midfielders for that reason either. They went round winning the ball back and playing simple passes to the more creative players if defensive midfielders don't do that what do they do?

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Not sure how serious you are being there :shock: :lol:

We are but we've outscored everyonelse in the bottom half and have the worst defense in the country we keep gifting teams goals we have gone back to conceding 2 a game which got John Sheridan the sack and will see us go down if we carry on doing this we cant neglect this. Even without Doyle we have the attacking players to get us goals. If 2 of Mclaughlin Tope Byrne Gevaro find enough form to create chances 1 or 2 of Davies Nazons or Holloway will find the back of the net enough times but if we keep shipping goals it wont matter.

Hes the one player who has come out of the last month with added credit at the moment he is doing his bit no need to take him out. Its other players who I think should be dropped.

Request refused

They didnt play too many killer balls through or dprayed the ball around like John Sheridan. Box to box players? To an extent, but box to box players usually get more than 3 goals a season, we couldnt call them attacking midfielders for that reason either. They went round winning the ball back and playing simple passes to the more creative players if defensive midfielders don't do that what do they do?

Which is exactly what Fane does. Wins the ball and plays a simple pass to a more creative player.

Just now, Gary1906 said:

Which is exactly what Fane does. Wins the ball and plays a simple pass to a more creative player.

He wins the ball, that is true.

It is also true to say that he has no awareness whatsoever and is ill suited to playing in a midfield 2 at the moment, especially when the other one is Gardner.

Just now, deyres42 said:

He wins the ball, that is true.

It is also true to say that he has no awareness whatsoever and is ill suited to playing in a midfield 2 at the moment, especially when the other one is Gardner.

I can’t believe I’m defending him because in the past I’ve just thought that he’s poor, and in a lot of ways he still is, but he’s undoubtedly improved under RW, and what he does do he does very well. I really think we would miss him if he wasn’t in the team. I never thought I’d say that about him.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Oh and, I've seen this more than once on here recently - Milligan and Henry weren't defensive midfielders.

Retract that please :grin:

One of them would have happily have sued us for thousands of pounds though due to injuries caused by the plastic pitch...

Whatever we do on Saturday, we must keep it simple. Get the basics right, like players holding position and not be pulled everywhere like last week were we had our biggest attacking threat, Byrne covering at right back as we saw before the second goal. Nazon looked like he was playing central midfield at times, too far away to have any impact in the final 3rd. 

We don't need to try silly 40 yard Hollywood passes, knock it wide and get the ball in the box to a blue shirt, not cross and hope. 

On paper we have a good side, we need to get out of the mind set that only Doyle can score goals, there is plenty of attacking potential, we have to figure out how to score with out Doyle for this month. 

The only way we can do that is make sure everyone sticks to position and task, through this,  the goals will come. 

22 minutes ago, Hands on said:

In conclusion a team that is leaking poor goals again should drop our only proven defensive midfield player and play Byrne in front of a new untried untested left back just to see how it goes.  Nil points.

Fane has some good attributes but I certainly wouldn't describe him as a defensive midfielder.

1 hour ago, Gary1906 said:

You’re entitled to your opinion. As am I, I think. 

Such a shame you have a name of one of our golden oldies.

You do him a disservice.

Yeah agree with the first line.

How so for the the last line?

Perhaps it is because I have watched players of his calibre play for this club. Players with ability in what was the same league (and lower)at that time. Perhaps because I despair at the lack of quality both in this league and this club where players like Fane are treated as good players. Can I just add that liking a player is not the same believing he is a good player. I liked Craig Dudley for instance but he was never going to be a great player.

Perhaps it is because I realise that we are in a worse state now as a club than we were 2 months ago and that is with a new owner who so far has done nothing to make me believe there is a brighter future ahead.

So doing him a disservice? I think not. Telling the truth as I see it with no abuse or name calling-yes.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

I liked Lee Johnson and still do but the way he used Korey Smith with us was footballing sacrilege. What a waste. 

It was what was required with the squad that we had then-precisely the same philosophy that you have spent the vast majority of this thread putting forward.

5 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

It was what was required with the squad that we had then-precisely the same philosophy that you have spent the vast majority of this thread putting forward.

Korey Smith was an extremely able footballer. Fane is very limited but fucking good at what he does.