Last four seasons Rocdale have finished 3rd (got promoted), 8th, 10th and 9th. Not bad on piss poor crowds and without doubt one of the poorest budgets if not the poorest in the division, add to that they turn a profit and have been quite shrewd in the transfer market showing quite an healthy bank balance, do people  really think their fans should be baying for blood? :OASISscarf:

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Last four seasons Rocdale have finished 3rd (got promoted), 8th, 10th and 9th. Not bad on piss poor crowds and without doubt one of the poorest budgets if not the poorest in the division, add to that they turn a profit and have been quite shrewd in the transfer market showing quite an healthy bank balance, do people  really think their fans should be baying for blood? :OASISscarf:

When our fans call for a manager to be sacked is the bank balance taken into consideration? 

Dales budget is common knowledge like ours. I keep missing this information.

Healthy bank balance couldnt afford a new pitch without a massive cup tie and possible help?

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

The fans of Dale were asking for his blood a few short weeks ago.... they will be again if he gets them relegated.  Fans are fickle, you should know that. 

18 hours ago, palmer1 said:

When our fans call for a manager to be sacked is the bank balance taken into consideration? 

Dales budget is common knowledge like ours. I keep missing this information.

Healthy bank balance couldnt afford a new pitch without a massive cup tie and possible help?

I was thinking the other day about the odds of a side staying up eight or so years in a row since last challenging the play-offs. To avoid relegation must be quite improbable when we’ve consistently had a bottom 8 budget and have flirted round the relegation zone for every season.

We’re an exception to the rule I’d say.

Hill’s done a fantastic job at Rochdale. Dave Og nailed it. 2 of their 3 promotions in 100+ years, very good football for the most part - most of which has been based on excellent home form. Seeing their own lads come through and impress in the first team - they do that a lot better than we do - and competing at this level on 2k crowds. I don’t like him but it’s some achievement. He’d have a job for life if I was Rochdale fan.

22 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

I was thinking the other day about the odds of a side staying up eight or so years in a row since last challenging the play-offs. To avoid relegation must be quite improbable when we’ve consistently had a bottom 8 budget and have flirted round the relegation zone for every season.

Hill’s done a fantastic job at Rochdale. Dave Og nailed it. 2 of their 3 promotions in 100+ years, very good football for the most part - most of which has been based on excellent home form. Seeing their own lads come through and impress in the first team - they do that a lot better than we do - and competing at this level on 2k crowds. I don’t like him but it’s some achievement. He’d have a job for life if I was Rochdale fan.

Our successful relegation fights every season are possibly a factor in our youth players not breaking through. If we were to be comfortably mid table towards the end of the season, it would be less risky to try them in the first team. Similarly if we went down, a manager might be more likely to blood them at a lower level. Ultimately, Corney's fault.

20 hours ago, palmer1 said:

I don't quite get this admiration that some Oldham fans have for Hill at Dale.

They are bottom of the league and have been relegated from lg1 on more than one occasion.

If any Oldham manager past or present had his current record they would be baying for his blood.

They have been relegated from this league once. And that was under John Coleman...

51 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They have been relegated from this league once. And that was under John Coleman...

Doesn't change anything, they are bottom of the league.

We wouldn't stand for that here but many admire him and Rochdale for it.

1 minute ago, palmer1 said:

Doesn't change anything, they are bottom of the league.

We wouldn't stand for that here but many admire him and Rochdale for it.

I don't think they admire him for being bottom of the League. They probably admire him because he has got a team, who spent almost 40 years in the bottom division, promoted twice in the past 7 years and has steered them to a top half finish in the 3rd tier, which is unheard of for Rochdale for a very long time.

But, personally, I think he is a shit...

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

We have had plenty of our own lads come through into the first team. A portion of our fans turn on them but see Dales as doing very well.

who has had more go onto a higher level.. us or them?

Its easy to jusge the positives when you aren't watching how shit they are every week like at Boundary Park

Dale fans were turning on Hill 10 games or so ago. They will again if they go down.

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

I don't think they admire him for being bottom of the League. They probably admire him because he has got a team, who spent almost 40 years in the bottom division, promoted twice in the past 7 years and has steered them to a top half finish in the 3rd tier, which is unheard of for Rochdale for a very long time.

But, personally, I think he is a shit...

I can agree with all of that.

I don't think he is a bad manager by any stretch I just don't get why the negatives about him can be ignored so easily but can we used just as easily to judge ex or present Oldham managers.

1974 - 94 we were in one of the top two divisions.

1974 - most of the time until now. They were in the bottom division. Different history, different expectations.

I cannot abide Hill either. Mainly because of my perception of his attitude to us. He also looks like he's auditioning for the part of "rogue farmer with a grudge" on Heartbeat.

21 hours ago, palmer1 said:

I don't quite get this admiration that some Oldham fans have for Hill at Dale.

They are bottom of the league and have been relegated from lg1 on more than one occasion.

If any Oldham manager past or present had his current record they would be baying for his blood.

Yep - and with all that stability on and off the pitch too. 

Very little pressure from their fans when they're in a bad run. Regular, lucrative, well negotiated players sales (much of that down to him to be fair).  

A core of 5 or 6 half decent team players who seem to have been there for years (again, credit where it's due) yet he still can't keep them up. 

It seems that he can only manage them and they can only get back up with him.