Ernieflag at Ewood... and thoughts on rivalries

Here's the report from the trip to Ewood.

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/index.php/the-tour/5-on-the-road/200-season-10-blackburn

Off the back of it I would be interested to know whether my views on rivalries are a fair reflection. What season did you start watching Latics and who are the three clubs you most dislike?

For me it is: 1989/90, Man Utd, W*nky Wanders and B Rovers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Why does "rivalry" =  "dislike"?

There probably is a difference. I guess we have a rivalry with everyone. I guess I am taking about disliking rather than simply having a rivalry. We have spent many seasons on the same league as Walsall and Scunthorpe so you could say we have built up a rivalry of sorts but I have no strong feelings about either.

I wonder if anyone sees us as rivals or dislikes us?

I don't like City or United, but I doubt they even remember we exist. I also doubt the dislike for Bolton, Blackburn or even Wigan is particularly reciprocated. The rivalry with Rochdale is also a bit of a non-starter. I for one don't harbour any dislike for them and I get the impression they feel the same. 

Maybe we need to start being more annoying..

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

I wonder if anyone sees us as rivals or dislikes us?

I don't like City or United, but I doubt they even remember we exist. I also doubt the dislike for Bolton, Blackburn or even Wigan is particularly reciprocated. The rivalry with Rochdale is also a bit of a non-starter. I for one don't harbour any dislike for them and I get the impression they feel the same. 

Maybe we need to start being more annoying..

This is exactly what I was going to say. 

I cant consider a team a rival if their isnt a feeling of even slight animosity towards us. If you asked Blackburn fans they would consider Burnley, obviously, as their biggest rivals then Bolton and probably Preston and Wigan as rivals ahead of us. To be their rivals we would have to have played them a hell of alot more in the last 25 years. So while I thoroughly enjoyed Queensys late winner earlier in the season it felt like winning a big game rather than beating a rival.

Rochdale geographically should be our rivals. But despite Calvin Andrews twattery last season and our idiots and their idiots having what looked like an agressive game of tig outside Boundary Park last season, you still feel these games lack an edge to them. Years ago I went to watch Bolton vs Bury at what is now the macron it was Burys cup final and their was a genuine animosity Rochdale dont have that stronger dislike of us at all.

The closest thing we have had to rivalries in recent years is Wigan circa 2000-2003 Tranmere 2006-2009 and even Huddersfield circa 2009-2012. 

If we want a proper rivalry we need to start being more of a threat on the pitch to these sides.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Great write up, as usual. Quite glad I stayed in the Spoons pre-match (apart from a very brief sojourn into the last orders next door). 

FWIW I don't think there were more fans than seats. There were a handful of empty seats around me and you can see on some pictures quite a lot of empty seats at the end near the corner flag. The standing in the aisles was completely unacceptable though. 

Having the top tier of both ends shut with fans standing in the aisles is ridiculous. Having a cordon with three-quarter of the other side empty is a bit stupid too. 

1 hour ago, ShireBlue said:

Hudds and Tranmere over the last ten years. Nowadays, probably Bury and Rochdale. If/when they both get relegated and (hopefully) we stay up, it’ll be hard to say what’ll be the big local game next season. 

Been around more than ten years and went away to hudds about ten years ago. Don’t really hate them, don’t hate Blackburn Rochdale or bolton particularly. I agree with previous poster we don’t really have rivals as such.

I can't stand United. 

Everyone else I dont care about. I dislike players or managers who we come up against regularly.

Tranmere was a good rivalry of sorts. I never liked them, but it's not a big dislike cos Id like to see them come back up.

Rivalry can only exist if there is a competition between teams  such as in specific matches or for a trophy or something similar. 

So when I started in 1960 Rochdale were real rivals ,as were Stockport, whilst it seemed Chesterfield we re too - played them twice in the league in each of my first two seasons plus twice in the FA cup  (incl replays) in both seasons too. Teams like Bolton. Bury, Blackburn , Preston we hardly  encountered as they were well above us in league status.

Dislike is another matter . Utd most definitely right from the start and over the last nearly 60 years there's a strong antipathy towards Sheff Utd, Bolton, Leeds, and Newcastle (self delusional fans ).

17 hours ago, Latics and England said:

What season did you start watching Latics and who are the three clubs you most dislike?

1981-82. 

Manchester City

Manchester United

Bolton Wanderers in that order.

Some of you might ask, why City first? But it’s personal for me due mainly to their supporters. Made worse now that they have a decent team. 

Aside from the mega-clubs who we hate but are now so far detached to not be considered rivals, I'd say Tranmere and Huddersfield would be the ones I consider biggest rivals, although the former will take a while to get back and the latter will have a new generation of fans and the TV money.

Bury I couldn't care less beyond it being a local away - they've got a bunch of fooligan yoofs who probably won't keep going after their £50 season tickets expire and struggle to fill half of the Chaddy. Rochdale - totally indifferent. A team nobody can have rivalries with. Bolton - they've been above us for most of my time supporting, same with Blackburn.

It's a shame Stockport aren't at our level cos they actually have a decent following and are local enough.

19 hours ago, Latics and England said:

What season did you start watching Latics and who are the three clubs you most dislike?

First game March 1973.

Dislike rather than see as rivals:

Man Utd

Man City

I work in Manchester with many Man Utd and Man City "fans", most of whom couldn't find either ground if you gave them an A to Z.

Also absolutely hate to see people walking round Oldham in United and City shirts, support you're home town team FFS.

Rivalries:

Tranmere, Huddersfield, Blackpool probably as they are the localish teams we've played most over the years.

Also hate Millwall but that's just because they are such a horrible club with horrible fans. 

I was recently asked why I hated a club because of their fans, to me a club IS its fans. The only club I hate for being a club is MK Dons.

I hate United because i grew up around Bury where 95% supported United and the majority were twats. Got on well with Bury, City and Bolton fans because you could actually have a conversation about football rather than get told how amazing they were. I have a dislike for Leeds (who doesn't) and FC United of Manchester because there is no reason why that club should have been formed.

The only rivalry we've had of late has been Bury and Rochdale, although its never felt like much of a fierce rivaly