22 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

he got two individual goals but did very little else, no hold up play and wasnt in the game for large spells on sat. In fact in both games its been davies who's done the majority of the work down the channels so there';s never anyone in the box who will win us a header if we do actually whip it in. if he scores an individual goal every game and wins us points then fine he'll have justified his role but for me unless he offers more for the team he should be behind holloway, especially at home on our pitch. last night he was carried by davies who may as well have been up top on his own. his ability to play with his back to goal looked really poor, and he's going to have to play like that because of our pitch so we need someone who can do that. although i admit its only two games but he doesnt seem to want to challenge in the air and he's just waiting for a through ball to run onto and thats it. holloways' physical style and play meant he was more dangerous and a better option for us as a team in my opinion, as he was able to hold up the ball and wrestle through challenges to get us up the pitch. therefore i think he needs to do more to justify starting games.

Potentially another Tope who last season our fans loved but inevitably as always our fans are starting to turn on him because his end product is inconsistant at best...

Edited by palmer1

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

Potentially another Tope who last season our fans loved but inevitably as always our fans are starting to turn on him because his end product is inconsistant at best...

Just wish that some posters to this forum would stop using the term ‘our fans’ when expressing a view (positive or negative) about the club. (And this is in no way aimed at you directly Mr palmer1)

I know that it’s just an expression but it tends to lump us all in the same ? when clearly there is a huge range of opinion on this forum.

’some fans’  or ‘a minority of fans’ is far more accurate.

Just saying.?

Edited by TheBigDog

56 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Just wish that some posters to this forum would stop using the term ‘our fans’ when expressing a view (positive or negative) about the club. (And this is in no way aimed at you directly Mr palmer1)

I know that it’s just an expression but it tends to lump us all in the same ? when clearly there is a huge range of opinion on this forum.

Just saying.?

But palmer1 is our only expert fan...

?

He was poor overall last night but it was his channel run and battling that stretched the play leading up to the corner for the goal. He would have been clear through (no guarantees on our ‘pitch’) had Gardner used his left peg. Surely all players are entitled to an off-day?! Most of our players have had off-careers.

In reply to the original posters views - which of course he’s entitled to - I disagree with the sentiment that he has done nothing except scoring two goals. His direct style changed the entire game against Plymouth - some will say that was simply because we went 2-up top, however, all the XI were slow and predictable until his introduction and suddenly they were in the back foot and dropping deeper giving us more space to operate in. How often do any of our other strikers make the run off the shoulder he made against Bradford before the bobble? He doesn’t do what Davies does and I’m really glad as we already have one doing that job. Re-watch the Blackburn game if you think he did nothing barring score twice (which isn’t to be sniffed at!) as his harrying and pressing typified that first half performance. 

He’s an excellent addition to our striking options. Clearly offers more goal threat than AAH and IMO Davies. We have strength, height, pace and movement when all are fit. I’ll take these options and rightly so Nazon is top of the list while Doyle is still out. 

Edited by eyres_28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Just saying.?

54 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

But palmer1 is our only expert fan...

?

Fair enough TheBigDog,  I wish some on here wouldn't take my opinion so personally it just my opinion. Many seem to take offence when I tell them a player they tout for stardom is nothing more than average. Its just happens ive been right on more than 1 occasion  ;)

New Blue is still waiting for Holloway to hit his stride ready for his championship run...

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

Fair enough TheBigDog,  I wish some on here wouldn't take my opinion so personally it just my opinion. Many seem to take offence when I tell them a player they tout for stardom is nothing more than average. Its just happens ive been right on more than 1 occasion  ;)

New Blue is still waiting for Holloway to hit his stride ready for his championship run...

I remember when you told me Jonathan Burn would play at an higher level than Dieng,  just had a look and Burn is turning out for York City in the National League North :chubb:

• Like 1

Just now, yarddog73 said:

I remember when you told me Jonathan Burn would play at an higher level than Dieng,  just had a look and Burn is turning out for York City in the National League North :chubb:

like I say I've been right on more than 1 occasion as you are aware however some don't work out and on occasion im wrong. They are just opinions as I said.

Burn hasn't lived up to the massive potential and talent, that's football. You don't captain that Boro youth renowned for producing youngsters without ability.

Ill take your word for it that I said that as I don't recall but im glad you didn't take it personally and go searching out the information. feel better hun? :OASISscarf:

I also didn't rate Grounds for a huge period here. hes done ok though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

like I say I've been right on more than 1 occasion as you are aware however some don't work out and on occasion im wrong. They are just opinions as I said.

Burn hasn't lived up to the massive potential and talent, that's football. You don't captain that Boro youth renowned for producing youngsters without ability.

Ill take your word for it that I said that as I don't recall but im glad you didn't take it personally and go searching out the information. feel better hun? :OASISscarf:

I also didn't rate Grounds for a huge period here. hes done ok though.

Grounds never really shone here to be fair but like you say has carved out a nice career for himself in the Championship, being left footed will be a factor in that I'm sure, one of a group of players who liked a smoke at the time, Winny and Wes being others.

I liked what I have seen agree he has work to do and clearly won't be anywhere near Wolves Starting line up or that of a Championship side either.

I would keep him, its obvious when Doyle is back he will play second fiddle to him & Davies. However the fact he can only last 60min or so. He could become a good impact player to bring off the bench if needed. He has goals in him an eye for goal and clearly likes to run with the ball. 

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Grounds never really shone here to be fair but like you say has carved out a nice career for himself in the Championship, being left footed will be a factor in that I'm sure, one of a group of players who liked a smoke at the time, Winny and Wes being others.

Just shows how we can all differ with our opinions, I thought Grounds was a cut above most of our other players at the time.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Just shows how we can all differ with our opinions, I thought Grounds was a cut above most of our other players at the time.

I thought he was very solid, reliable and average. Being bigger than the average 3rd division full back and left footed served him well 

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I absolutely loved Groundsy. Loved him at left back. Loved him at centre back. Loved him as a man...

Scored a good goal to win when I went down to Portsmouth a while ago but apologies for getting off the subject matter of this thread.

20 hours ago, Forte_Baby said:

I liked what I have seen agree he has work to do and clearly won't be anywhere near Wolves Starting line up or that of a Championship side either.

I would keep him, its obvious when Doyle is back he will play second fiddle to him & Davies. However the fact he can only last 60min or so. He could become a good impact player to bring off the bench if needed. He has goals in him an eye for goal and clearly likes to run with the ball. 

Indeed Duck always looks goosed after 60 minutes will be a good impact player to have.

15 hours ago, disjointed said:

By the end of his time here he had improved no end and earned a move but in his 1st 12 months or so here I thought he was cack!

• 1 month later...

Still not seen anything that has changed my mind.

He only seems to play for himself. Every time he receives the ball no matter where he wants to take everyone on, he plays with his head down and only wants it to feet. He isn't willing to put in the hard work without the ball. 

Holloway should have started instead of him.