John Cairney Liddell Latics Striker 1960-62

A mate of mine is a Latics fan living in Scotland. He works with John Cairney Liddell’s son. Scored 11 in 24 for us between 1960-62 played with Johnstone and Frizz before drifting into non league I’ve done my research by digging out my library of Latics books and found a few pictures, profiles etc but was wondering if some of the older chaps like BP1960 or Diego? May have stories, reports pics etc I can pass on to my mate who will forward on to his son.

thanks in advance 

Edited by oafcprozac

I remember him as a direct type of forward but not a great deal more than that. He was not a regular if I recall but scored a fair number of goals when he did play. When Jack Rowley rebuilt the team he did it around Bert Lister as centre forward and Liddell, as you say, went into non league. Pass on condolences please from a supporter who started in the same season as he did.

edit: just looked him up and saw that he made his debut for Latics in my very first match . He scored in it too, though we lost 3-2 to Millwall....

Edited by LaticsPete

just looked him up, not having heard of him.

Amazing record with St Johnstone & us, poor with Mossley then out of it.

AS Pete says, great record when he played

St Johnstone 58-61 P35 Goals 32

Us                       61-62 P23 Goals 10

Mossley           62-63 P17  Goals  3

He's not related to Andy is he?
Andy's Dad Gary was also born in Stirling in 1954. John was born in Stirling in 1933. Both died in Falkirk too, albeit John in 99, Gary in 2015.

Long shot, Liddell is obviously not that an uncommon name.

Edited by singe