Southend (H)

A tricky game on Saturday as they've had a resurgence since Chris Powell took charge.  Hopefully we can continue our good form.

Only real selection questions are at left back where it's a choice between Moimbe and Nepomuceno (or Hunt if fit) and up front if Doyle is nearly there.  I'd go for the same team that started at MK.  Nothing against Moimbe, just that Nepo has been part of a defensive unit that kept a clean sheet.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

A tricky game on Saturday as they've had a resurgence since Chris Powell took charge.  Hopefully we can continue our good form.

Only real selection questions are at left back where it's a choice between Moimbe and Nepomuceno (or Hunt if fit) and up front if Doyle is nearly there.  I'd go for the same team that started at MK.  Nothing against Moimbe, just that Nepo has been part of a defensive unit that kept a clean sheet.

I would not like to see nepo play left back again. We were lucky MK Dons were so poor as he was continually found out in that first half. Wilf or Hunt (if fit) for me. 

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Miombe all day for me. Better defender.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Probably Saturday's team.

The bench will be interesting.

The choices on the bench recently have been packed with forwards and or wingers and strangely lacking in a good central midfielder.

McEleny ( if fit)  Nepo -  AH -  Wilson (or Hunt depending on fitness ) - le paz -  Ryan McLaughlin

The bench is harder to choose and depends on fitness levels that we may not be privy to.  Don't want to see Tope again and would give the likes of Maouche another chance instead.

2 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

......Omrani's looked ok from the bench as an 'enforcer'.....

.....for what it's worth, I don't think he's good enough either.... positionally naive is how I would describe what I've seen.

Lemsagam has been hit & miss thus far with his signings. Some are OK, some are not. I'm still very nervous about what the summer might hold in terms of our recruitment policy, which is why I would like to hear from him regarding his plan.

3 hours ago, deckyd said:

Omrani had two great cameos vs Peterborough and Bury.  When he started vs Scunny (i think it was) he lasted 20 odd minutes and was replaced.  Says it all really.  Has he featured since?

He was shocking in the Scunny game and was way off the pace. Unfortunately the damage was already done in that game when Wellens took him off.

Wellens on preparations for Southend:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2018/february/22022018-richie-wellens-previews-southend-clash/

Interesting comment on fringe players and McEleny  in particular following practice game against Man Utd:

The players enjoyed a rare weekend off last week but have kept fitness levels up with a practise match against Manchester United at Carrington. 
“It was good for the squad to get 45 minutes and it allowed us to use it as a bit of a training session,” he commented. “They dusted a few cobwebs away from the weekend and we now look forward to Saturday.

“The first team did okay but the reserves, the lads who are desperate to prove themselves, came on and they were impressive.

“We dominated the game in the second half and there were some good performances.”

One man who was involved on Tuesday was Patrick McEleney and the manager expects him to be involved this weekend against the Shrimpers.

“He will be involved at the weekend,” he admitted. “He was very impressive when he came off the bench in the behind-closed-doors friendly.

“He is a proper player, someone who can dominate the ball but he can go the opposite side of players and cause them problems. “He can assist players, score goals and he is two footed. He can take free kicks and corners with his right or his left foot.

“He’s been a blow for us because we were looking forward to having him as a fresh player but he’s been out for a long time and we need to be careful with him but he will be in the squad for Saturday.

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Wellens on preparations for Southend:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2018/february/22022018-richie-wellens-previews-southend-clash/

Interesting comment on fringe players and McEleny  in particular following practice game against Man Utd:. “He can assist players, score goals and he is two footed. He can take free kicks and corners with his right or his left foot.

One thing that annoys the hell out of me is seeing an otherwise talented footballer using just one foot to the detriment of himself and inveribaly the team. 

I am so looking forward to seeing this player for some reason, my brothers - my usual source of info - know nothing about him and I have not seen him in any clips but several sources have mentioned that he was the best player in the Irish league so hopefully in a few weeks of building match fitness we might have a good player.

39 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

One thing that annoys the hell out of me is seeing an otherwise talented footballer using just one foot to the detriment of himself and inveribaly the team. 

I am so looking forward to seeing this player for some reason, my brothers - my usual source of info - know nothing about him and I have not seen him in any clips but several sources have mentioned that he was the best player in the Irish league so hopefully in a few weeks of building match fitness we might have a good player.

After the big build up that Richie has given him, he’d better be good... ?