Portsmouth (H)

That was truly dreadful. This team is arguably one of the strongest teams I've seen at latics in the last few years but you wouldn't think so with the last two performances.

Portsmouth didn't get out of second gear and they didn't need to. There was no drive, no cutting edge, too many sideways passes. Nazon did more in his cameo than any other player did in the rest of the game.

Theres a strong possibility that we will be bottom four again when we go to Wigan. I hope that psychologically doesn't kill us off. Improvements needed.

24 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

But we got a point in our last shocking performance - in our previous bad runs we just lost and lost and lost - we will be ok 

I genuinely felt we’d turned a corner with Doyle coming back, now I’m worried we’re going to be too over-reliant on him replicating his pre-injury form. That was really, really bad today. Deflating.

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I genuinely felt we’d turned a corner with Doyle coming back, now I’m worried we’re going to be too over-reliant on him replicating his pre-injury form. That was really, really bad today. Deflating.

I agree that was awful today - but I’ve seen worse in my time supporting Latics so keeping my blinkers on for now 

Just got back...terrible conditions for football but Portsmouth, helped by a Placide brain fart, adapted to the conditions better.

Only two La5ics players emerged with any credit for me - and both came off the bench. Holloway and McEleny. 

Would definitely consider starting with both against Wigan.

and maybe it’s time to have a look at our no.2 keeper?

48 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

But we got a point in our last shocking performance - in our previous bad runs we just lost and lost and lost - we will be ok 

A run of similar shocking performances will see us relegated, pretty certain of that. You can't keep playing that way.

Edited by BP1960

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

A run of similar shocking performances will see us relegated, pretty certain of that. You can't keep playing that way.

We won’t have a similar run - call me overly positive but I believe we will be fine and that’s even acknowledging we’ve been dog shit the last two games 

Edited by Buckshawlatic

5 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

We won’t have a similar run - call me overly positive but I believe we will be fine and that’s even acknowledging we’ve been dog shit the last two games 

Something has to change, the balance of this side is all wrong.

Edited by BP1960

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Something has to change, the balance of this side is all wrong.

Mcglaughlin starting today was strange - he’s not exactly ripped up trees this season and been out of the side for weeks (months?) Byrne seemed to be playing very deep and our midfield as a whole just doesn’t seem to be clicking at the moment. I agree something needs to change - for the first time in years we can’t say we don’t have the players because on paper this is the best side in a long time but it’s the team on grass that counts 

32 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Just got back...terrible conditions for football but Portsmouth, helped by a Placide brain fart, adapted to the conditions better.

Only two La5ics players emerged with any credit for me - and both came off the bench. Holloway and McEleny. 

Would definitely consider starting with both against Wigan.

and maybe it’s time to have a look at our no.2 keeper?

McEleny for Byrne would be a shock for a lot of fans, but I saw RW having a right go at Byrne so maybe its a possibility?

I agree re Holloway, Davies didn't inspire again today.

The wide forwards are a real problem, none are  convincing.  

Edited by BP1960

28 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

This is kind of the way I feel, but this is a bad defeat seeing that we have no game before Wigan and a lot of the teams around us have 2 games in that time.  I trust that the squad we have has the ability to stay up, but it'll need to be strong mentally if we go into April in the bottom four 

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

McEleny for Byrne would be a shock for a lot of fans, but I saw RW having a right go at Byrne so maybe its a possibility?

I agree re Holloway, Davies didn't inspire again today.

The wide forwards are a real problem, none are  convincing.  

He has a right go at Byrne most weeks yet still plays him week in week out so can't see that changing, currently the teams disjointed and has very little cohesion, McLaughlin was our best player at the start of the season yet looks totally disinterested at the moment - I strongly suspect he has his eyes on a move away in the summer and isn't really putting in 100%, just my take on it though.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

He has a right go at Byrne most weeks yet still plays him week in week out so can't see that changing, currently the teams disjointed and has very little cohesion, McLaughlin was our best player at the start of the season yet looks totally disinterested at the moment - I strongly suspect he has his eyes on a move away in the summer and isn't really putting in 100%, just my take on it though.

If I remember rightly he has dropped Byrne in the past. 

Well how shit was that today! We ain’t been anything special the last few games so I was well expecting 3 points and a lot better effort from the previous games, but no it’s the the same old Oldham shite, all this talk of nah we won’t go down is bollocks!! 

15 minutes ago, Andy b said:

We weren't that bad but that utter clown in goal has cost us. Totally inept. Should have caught the first with ease. Second was a killer. Outfield-wise it was an even game.

Placide will send us down.

Should have caught the first with ease?

i agree he has his limitations but he's not elastic man.

edit

oh and we were that bad

Edited by astottie

3 hours ago, daniel said:

Oh and i’m sick of reading (not so much on here) the conditions were awful, absolute bollocks excuse that, we were crap and didn’t show any desire at all, Portsmouth looked more dangerous and should have scored more. I’d be getting the entire team in first thing in the morning, they don’t deserve a day off!

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Quite right, we are deep in the shit and those players should be fighting for every point, after that they'd be in all day tomorrow, not only to watch their piss poor performance but to also break into a sweat something that many of them couldn't be arsed to do today, no game now for a couple of week and they gave fuck all, sorry not good enough and RW is starting to make some strange decisions again.

Did anybody hear RW's GMR interview after the game? He basically blamed it on the weather and would not hold any of the players responsible for today's performance. What utter crap, they played as though they consider themselves better than they actually are.

Suffering now for a poor January transfer window when the glaring mistake of no centre half cover was addressed-not picking on Wilson but he is not the solution. What has happened to Edmundson by the way?

Odd decision to pick McLaughlin and he started on the left, got in a couple of good positions in first 10 mins but refused to play to Moimbe overlapping then switched sides and disappeared. Thought Gardner was best of the bunch but midfield continues to be outplayed with Fane playing.

24 minutes ago, Andy b said:

We weren't that bad but that utter clown in goal has cost us. Totally inept. Should have caught the first with ease. Second was a killer. Outfield-wise it was an even game.

Placide will send us down.

We were bad...no desire, no fight, absolutely rolled over today! 

He has no chance with the 1st and it was a great header to be fair! 2nd was an awful mistake and he’d got away with something similar 10mins before he did it again and got caught out. 

We have good players but not such a good team. We missed Gerrard and missed a leader. We have flair players but none with grit, something we will badly need during the run in. 

In my opinion I think we will need to be safe with a couple of games to go because if we’re not, I really don’t think this team has the balls or the mentality required for a relegation dogfight!

RW switched McLaughlin and Byrne halfway through the first half because they were attacking our right a lot and he wanted to protect that side. 

I warming to Fane but his lack of footballing ability is a liability, especially when we are 2-0 down. Personally I'd have brought McEleney or Hunt on for Fane and played a proper 4-4-2 a lot earlier. Teams are working us out and whilst playing Byrne as a nominal wide man allows us to have his play making abilities it exposes us defensively out wide. 

However, a goalkeeping error and a good finish is always going to leave a side needing to score 2 goals to get a point. The weather had nothing to do with it. Just because RW is publicly blaming the weather doesn't mean that is what he is and will say to the players. 

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Gardner had a very good first half, but had to drop deep in the 2nd due to the introduction of the attacking subs.

Why Fane stayed on when 2 nil down is a mystery, he adds no creativity whatsoever.

I agree about McLaughlin and Byrne, but thought by far the worst was Davies.

Wilson did little wrong.

Wilson did ok Apart from non existant marking for Pittman’s 1st. 

35 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Wilson did ok Apart from non existant marking for Pittman’s 1st. 

Defensively the back 4 actually had very little to do. We offered them space down the right and in the box for one goal amd practically scored the second for them. 

What irks me the most about today is that we looked poor against a team that didn't actually show up. Those players should be ashamed of that today because it was embarrassing. I'd have them all in tommoroe for a nice snowy training session then force them to watch the game back as punishment. Charge them 20 quid for the privilege like they do us mugs =) 

1. We were shit 

2. The jonny love fest is over, lets see what la paz(?) has to offer

3. I can't recall being colder in last 30 odd years

4. Can't see for snow, can't see for sun, a do you remember  moment in a few years

Oh I remember this argument about the Pompey first goal. Was same argument I had with folk over Joe Hart vs Russia in the Euros. Both that and Johnny’s positioning are piss poor for the goals. Seen today’s on replay also now...

On TV, you can’t see Placide when the ball is 1st crossed...but he was way off his line for no reason...he’s never catching the cross and he shouldve been further back on his line. 

By time the camera moves and he’s in view he’s still on the 6yd line and barely reacted to the situation. By the time Pittman heads it, he’s massively back-pedalling to get to his line. He was caught totally in no mans land for the goal. 

Ive stuck up for him aplenty this season but he cost us for both goals. I still wouldn’t drop him tho...he needs a fucking good talking to tho about cutting out the antics (which led to him being concerned about an injury) and concentrate on the game properly.