Portsmouth (H)

Make no mistake we were shite but the weather did play a part. It was clear the team kicking towards the RRE was struggling. Pompey had almost all of the play in the first half and we had almost all the play in the second half. The problem being they were 2-0 up by then so were happy to defend in numbers. We didn't have the ability to break them down. 

Considering how cold it was the players did alot of standing around. Absolutely no movement we passed the ball sideways we didnt test the back 4 enough because the midfield was piss poor.

Wellens blames the conditions publicly atleast but come on its Oldham! what are they expecting. Its cold and conditions arent always good and the pitch is crap you have to play that and you have to out battle teams in games like that and we didnt do it. We were second to every ball and when we did win it back we just stood still.

I would like to see Byrne played centrally as a number 10 in behind Doyle but I'm probably in a minority. On these shit pitches I'd prefer the extra legs in midfield to two up front, one problem we may have with that is that  we have a real shortage of quality in midfield especially centrally, for the size of squad we have the fact we can't put out a consistent decent first eleven is baffling.

With yesterday over with, I think RW has to have a massive rethink about staff, positions and tactics. 

I like Placide as at times he can turn it on and gives everyone a boost. But yesterday a ruddy scarecrow would have been more use. Completely off his line for the 1st when didn't really need to be. If he stays at home, his chances of saving that are increased dramatically. The second, was what we suspected could happen at some point. You can't do that against a player like Pittman, he's too savvy. I think Jonny needs to be rested and give Zeus a go. 

The midfield, Ryan Mac, not used correctly again. Byrne stuck out left, absolutely no point in playing him there, he needs to be central.

Davies. He scores goals, but he's painful to watch some times. Looks so disinterested with his plodding around. Didn't find any useful positions.

Doyle given no real chance to be Doyle today. The put the silencers on him for sure.

The conditions, yes they were the worst conditions I can remember and visibility can't have been great, but you can't hold the conditions accountable for how lifeless we were yesterday.

We need a kick up the arse now more than ever. And RW has to be doing that with immediate effect this week. 

Think Pringle was a miss yesterday, despite him getting criticism from some recently.  He's just scored so confidence would be up and is more experienced than most in the squad.  As he was on the bench I presume it was tactical rather than injury related, which was a mistake from Wellens in my opinion. McLaughlin was terrible unfortunately.  I really had high hopes for him but he's just not delivering.  He never crosses, nor does he get in position to cross and I can't remember the last time he had a good game for us. Even at the start of the season I had him down as one of the least shit rather than putting in quality performances.  Hunt for Dummigan would be my next change too - although I think Dummigan is decent, I just think Hunt is better.

To be fair to Wellens, most of the weather chat was about how we didn't play the conditions properly - with triangles rather than getting crosses in and getting the ball more quickly up the field.  He can't win really, if he does criticise players then people will jump on him for not backing them up.

6 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Oh I remember this argument about the Pompey first goal. Was same argument I had with folk over Joe Hart vs Russia in the Euros. Both that and Johnny’s positioning are piss poor for the goals. Seen today’s on replay also now...

On TV, you can’t see Placide when the ball is 1st crossed...but he was way off his line for no reason...he’s never catching the cross and he shouldve been further back on his line. 

By time the camera moves and he’s in view he’s still on the 6yd line and barely reacted to the situation. By the time Pittman heads it, he’s massively back-pedalling to get to his line. He was caught totally in no mans land for the goal. 

Ive stuck up for him aplenty this season but he cost us for both goals. I still wouldn’t drop him tho...he needs a fucking good talking to tho about cutting out the antics (which led to him being concerned about an injury) and concentrate on the game properly. 

You could argue that Placide should have been more central for the first goal but Wilson is just not quick enough to react to the cross and is not tight enough to Pittman. The second goal is all down to Placide who screwed up but should still have got the ball when he dived in at Pittman’s feet. Doyle had our two best chances but showed that he is stil not yet fully match fit.

We move on to Wigan Away- a game we are not expected to win.

Go 433 - Start with Holloway, Doyle and Nazon with Byrne, Gardner and  McEleny as a middle three - fullbacks in Hunt and Dummigan, Bryan and Gerrard as centre backs and La Paz in the nets. ?

7 hours ago, SAV said:

1. We were shit 

2. The jonny love fest is over, lets see what la paz(?) has to offer

3. I can't recall being colder in last 30 odd years

4. Can't see for snow, can't see for sun, a do you remember  moment in a few years

Point 3 - Barnsley FA Cup replay when Danny Wilson was in charge for them. Blokes huddled round the hand driers in the Chaddy toilets for a bit of warmth.

McLaughlin shouldn’t have started, he’s barely kicked a ball all season and when he has he’s been poor! 

Struggling in midfield and once again Gardner has a shocking first half. No balance to the team. Byrne is not a winger and it affects the full backs. I’d be tempted to bring hunt in and push dummigan wide right. 

Doyle had no chance today. 

Placide is shit. 

Wellens needs to sort his tactics and team selection out cause at the min it’s 1 step forward then 3 back. 

What a waste of an afternoon.

Teams have learnt to attack down the side that Byrne plays on - both goals started on his side.  Teams have learnt not to bother marking Fane because although I like what he can do he can't find a pass or a strike in the direction of goal.  Teams have learnt to put pressure on Byrne and Doyle.  Teams have learnt to put pressure on Johny and hey presto yesterday Portsmouth reaped the rewards of good organisation and preparation.  

Wellens needs to respond to this and what he did yesterday didn't work at all.  Why drop Pringle who has just scored for us?

Getting nothing out of that game sets us right back with Walsall off and Wigan our next game.   Playing twice a week in April like Rochdale it could be them sending us down rather than the other way round.  Northampton looks more like a relegation decider every game we play.

2 hours ago, Chris Richard said:

With yesterday over with, I think RW has to have a massive rethink about staff, positions and tactics. 

I like Placide as at times he can turn it on and gives everyone a boost. But yesterday a ruddy scarecrow would have been more use. Completely off his line for the 1st when didn't really need to be. If he stays at home, his chances of saving that are increased dramatically. The second, was what we suspected could happen at some point. You can't do that against a player like Pittman, he's too savvy. I think Jonny needs to be rested and give Zeus a go. 

The midfield, Ryan Mac, not used correctly again. Byrne stuck out left, absolutely no point in playing him there, he needs to be central.

Davies. He scores goals, but he's painful to watch some times. Looks so disinterested with his plodding around. Didn't find any useful positions.

Doyle given no real chance to be Doyle today. The put the silencers on him for sure.

The conditions, yes they were the worst conditions I can remember and visibility can't have been great, but you can't hold the conditions accountable for how lifeless we were yesterday.

We need a kick up the arse now more than ever. And RW has to be doing that with immediate effect this week. 

We are not going to be able to have a massive rethink between now and the end of the season we dont have time and transfer window is closed so we cant bring anyone in we are going to have to go with what weve got. Personally a good kick up the arse after the last 2 weeks would be enough to rouse them to get us over the line in may and then we can have the big rethink.

Id add to the list of players you have criticised both Gardner and Fane neither stamped their authority on the game like they could have done we dont have alot of options in centre mid who we can turn too either. I also think we missed Gerrards leadership he certainly would have got a hold of Pitman.

Edited by GlossopLatic

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Think Pringle was a miss yesterday, despite him getting criticism from some recently.  He's just scored so confidence would be up and is more experienced than most in the squad.  As he was on the bench I presume it was tactical rather than injury related, which was a mistake from Wellens in my opinion. McLaughlin was terrible unfortunately.  I really had high hopes for him but he's just not delivering.  He never crosses, nor does he get in position to cross and I can't remember the last time he had a good game for us. Even at the start of the season I had him down as one of the least shit rather than putting in quality performances.

'There's a bit of a strange obsession players being useless unless they are complete' and I quote! :toilet:.  

Our midfield is still totally unbalanced and RW is trying to tackle that.

12 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

'There's a bit of a strange obsession players being useless unless they are complete' and I quote! :toilet:.  

Our midfield is still totally unbalanced and RW is trying to tackle that.

?

I’m not criticising McLaughlin for not being able to head a corner away, or his ability as a striker. I’m criticising his performance at his main role - winger. ie crossing, being in a position to make a cross, taking players on etc.

The midfield 4 was part of a mini unbeaten run. Injuries aside I wouldn’t have changed that personally. 

Byrne gets a lot of shit but I’d honestly love to see some sort of opta chart (probably doesn’t exist at our level) of how many times he has had the ball in areas that he’s most effect - edge of our final 3rd. 

To me, he’s often with the ball when too deep coz he’s had to drop back and pick it up. When he’s on the edge of our attacking 3rd, he’s rarely got the ball. That’s where he wants it and is most useful/dangerous. The area to have a shot or pick a pass. When Fane and Gardner play well they enable Byrne to play in those areas but at present those two are falling way short of what they should be doing. We may have to decide to go 5 in the middle and 1 up top soon to allow Byrne to play behind the striker, if the current midfield set up doesn’t start to work. 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Simply not true. He invariably passes the ball to Byrne or the nearest blue shirt. 

Completely missed the point. Fane does often pass to Byrne or the nearest Oldham player, but that is all he does with the ball. 

There is therefore no need to close him down in a hurry, just stop the simple pass. He invariably slows down play too, but actually isn't the worst culprit in our midfield for that either. 

Portsmouth were one of the smallest teams I've seen in the past few years. But our two biggest players didn't use their physicality anywhere near enough. Davies is getting pelters for it, why not Fane? 

Going 4-5-1 has been muted on here a bit, despite it not working at all earlier in the season. If we do 4-5-1 I hope we do it without Fane as his physicality isn't needed to the same level. 

7 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Simply not true. He invariably passes the ball to Byrne or the nearest blue shirt. 

Completely missed the point. Fane does often pass to Byrne or the nearest Oldham player, but that is all he does with the ball. 

The original post stated: ‘he can’t find a pass’.

I simply pointed out that does invariably ‘find a pass’. 

So might I suggest <ahem> that you completely missed the point I was making?

?

Edited by TheBigDog

26 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The original post stated: ‘he can’t find a pass’.

I simply pointed out that does invariably ‘find a pass’. 

So might I suggest <ahem> that you completely missed the point I was making?

?

Or finding a pass means not more than just a simple pass that 90% of this board can make. 

9 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

It was dreadful.

They didn't play like a team who were in serious danger of going down, most of them couldn't be arsed and just weren't up for it. It's going to be a really tight run in.

If we go down, do we keep Wellens?

That's a debate for then

We've been sussed out. Press us, and especially Placide high, and you'll get chances. Both Bury and Portsmouth have now done that and gone 2-0 up. All it needs then is a bit of nous to see it out. 

We're completely clueless in the last third. All we need to do is make some chances for Doyle and you'd back him to finish one or two, but we are so clueless in midfield. Dropping Pringle was an error, he brings balance to us in midfield. Davies is really letting us down with being the target man, has he had the ball under control at any point in the last month? 

Hunt in for Dummigan, Pringle back in midfield (maybe for Gardner and put Gevaro wide left), and Duckens or AAH with Doyle. 

10 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

It was dreadful.

They didn't play like a team who were in serious danger of going down, most of them couldn't be arsed and just weren't up for it. It's going to be a really tight run in.

Mmm. 

It’s a tough one. I’d like him to stay, but if we go down i don’t see how you could stick with him. Yes he took over with us struggling, and he’s had some mitigating circumstances with the takeover. However I still believe he’s had more than enough time and backing to get us out of the shit.

Shez had far less time and backing, and turned it around.

Wellens can have no excuse IMO.

1 hour ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

It was dreadful.

Absolutely not. How many years of our history have been spent in the 4th tier?