Portsmouth (H)

5 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

Point 3 - Barnsley FA Cup replay when Danny Wilson was in charge for them. Blokes huddled round the hand driers in the Chaddy toilets for a bit of warmth.

The first game at oakwell was a cold one, had an altercation with a fist over new year, and frackured eye socket,broken cheek bone went to barsnley in sunglasses and a tracky top to be welcomed by freezing fog.......

Not looking good is it.

All well and good saying this team has

too much in it to go down but as good as our attacking threat may be, it's been cancelled out by the worst latics defence in living memory. Simple.

I think we will stay up but I wouldn't be putting any money on it. 

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I would like to see Byrne played centrally as a number 10 in behind Doyle but I'm probably in a minority. On these shit pitches I'd prefer the extra legs in midfield to two up front, one problem we may have with that is that  we have a real shortage of quality in midfield especially centrally, for the size of squad we have the fact we can't put out a consistent decent first eleven is baffling.

Yeah needs to have extra man in midfield,, at bury and yesterday we were over run in midfield and we cannot keep relying on trying to out score teams.

for me if Gerrard played yesterday pitman wouldn’t have scored first goal, as for second goal placide needs to launch it rather than trying fancy stuff on a shit surface and awful conditions think teams are targeting him as they know he will try and pick a pass 

overall a bad day at the office, agree that we need to start quicker 

be tempted to play 3-5-2 to allow Byrne some space especially at home and away I’d go 4-5-1, Pompey and bury did that against us and caused problems 

Guest Stanley30
6 hours ago, Andy b said:

Not looking good is it.

All well and good saying this team has

too much in it to go down but as good as our attacking threat may be, it's been cancelled out by the worst latics defence in living memory. Simple.

I think we will stay up but I wouldn't be putting any money on it. 

Are u joking? I'd put my bloody mortgage on Oldham staying in this division, that's all we do. Sure as night turns to day, Oldham will stay.

14 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Value there - couple of results go against us, lose at Wigan, draw with Blackpool, lose at Oxford, and that'll be a shade over evens.

If we get two points from our next nine i reckon we will be odds on, you could have 100 on then if the dreaded happens at least the season tickets paid for.

23 hours ago, nzlatic said:

?

I’m not criticising McLaughlin for not being able to head a corner away, or his ability as a striker. I’m criticising his performance at his main role - winger. ie crossing, being in a position to make a cross, taking players on etc.

The midfield 4 was part of a mini unbeaten run. Injuries aside I wouldn’t have changed that personally. 

I do actually agree that Pringle should have been selected especially since he scored at Bury.

I also agree that McLaughlin had a shit match and I have not seen him play well all season and was a strange choice

Can I criticise Fane for all the things that he cannot do in his main role or is he becomming the new Bambi?

At Bury Fane was shifted out wide and Gardner played more centrally in the second half-so why was Fane selected if we had to hide him in the last match?

It would be nice to see if he was dropped after scoring a goal-well initially it would be nice if he scored a goal or even made a forward pass! 

If we continue with 4 in midfield including Fane and Byrne we will get outplayed by anybody decent. Luckily there are some shite teams in this league again!

One cannot do anything at all going forward and the other cannot (or at times will not defend)-it is like playing with 10 men at times. but I know who I would select 46 matches out of 46.  The balance in the midfield is terrible and has been for a long time.

13 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Are u joking? I'd put my bloody mortgage on Oldham staying in this division, that's all we do. Sure as night turns to day, Oldham will stay.

So if we stayed up your mortgage would increase.

Go down and you're debt free!

If we stay up - and I’m reasonably confident that we will do - then the owner needs to ‘push the boat’ out to secure Doyle permanently and hopefully Conor Ripley as well. Johnny is a liability I’m afraid. Not just because of the Portsmouth game, that mistake has been coming for a while, but generally he just isn’t in the same league as Ripley. I think that with a new goalkeeper, a centre half (or two), a midfield tackler, and a centre forward, we will be a lot better next season.

9 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

If we stay up - and I’m reasonably confident that we will do - then the owner needs to ‘push the boat’ out to secure Doyle permanently and hopefully Conor Ripley as well. Johnny is a liability I’m afraid. Not just because of the Portsmouth game, that mistake has been coming for a while, but generally he just isn’t in the same league as Ripley. I think that with a new goalkeeper, a centre half (or two), a midfield tackler, and a centre forward, we will be a lot better next season.

Think Ripleys good season has been and gone and the fat fuck would rather go out on loan to where the money is

2 hours ago, Joanna Roper said:

Think Ripleys good season has been and gone and the fat fuck would rather go out on loan to where the money is

49 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Ripley was in a team set up to defend he hasn’t exactly done well since

:petesake::petesake::petesake:

2 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

Placide was a revalation when he first got into the team but since christmas his head has gone. His distribution was by far his strongest point and even that's been very poor lately, I don't know what he was thinking on Saturday. So many goals conceeded where he's wrong footed, rooted to the spot. I like the guy but I'd take Ripley every day of the week, 17 clean sheets for a team fighting relegation is amazing, especially at his age and with his age he can only get better with experience.

It seems the 'what have you done for me lately gang' are offering their opinion on Ripley having barely seen him play since he left us.

Very short memories some on here. He is a distance ahead of JP in terms of actual goalkeeping ability

38 minutes ago, cmr said:

Placide was a revalation when he first got into the team but since christmas his head has gone. His distribution was by far his strongest point and even that's been very poor lately, I don't know what he was thinking on Saturday. So many goals conceeded where he's wrong footed, rooted to the spot. I like the guy but I'd take Ripley every day of the week, 17 clean sheets for a team fighting relegation is amazing, especially at his age and with his age he can only get better with experience.

That mistake on Saturday  has been coming and forwards are looking for this type of chance each game.I still rate Placide and he does make some good saves which he must be given credit for.I agree about Ripley and would be over the moon if we could sign him up next season with Placide as a good reserve.

1 hour ago, cmr said:

Couldn’t agree more. It’s Ripley over Placide every time for me.