Portsmouth (H)

1 hour ago, Gary1906 said:

Couldn’t agree more. It’s Ripley over Placide every time for me. 

I agree with what you are saying about Placide’s recent form but Ripley has only had one clean sheet this season and is letting lots of goals in at Bury. I think we should look elsewhere and buy a quality goalkeeper at the end of the season if AL has the cash. Someone who’s contract has run out however experienced keeper would be a bonus. 

1 minute ago, Smiler13 said:

I agree with what you are saying about Placide’s recent form but Ripley has only had one clean sheet this season and is letting lots of goals in at Bury. I think we should look elsewhere and buy a quality goalkeeper at the end of the season if AL has the cash. Someone who’s contract has run out however experienced keeper would be a bonus. 

I personally wouldn't comment on another teams keeper unless a.) I watch the team/keeper most weeks or b.) the keeper makes an absolute howler which gets plastered everywhere for everyone to see. 

Unless folk have been going to Gigg Lane most weeks this season, let's stop guessing and pretending we know anything about why Ripley has only kept 1 clean sheet this season.

51 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Unless folk have been going to Gigg Lane most weeks this season, let's stop guessing and pretending we know anything about why Ripley has only kept 1 clean sheet this season.

He did look like he gave up on trying to do anything with Pringle's equaliser the other week.

On Placide, there does look to have been a shift in his body language in recent weeks before, after & during games. He doesn't seem as vocal and generally not as bubbly around the warm up as he was a few months ago. I know its not been the best year for him personally and there's always the possibility that he's been affected in someway.

15 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

He did look like he gave up on trying to do anything with Pringle's equaliser the other week.

It looked to me like he was unsighted by a defender.Plus once an Oldham fan always an Oldham fan!!:)

Just now, Flemboy said:

It looked to me like he was unsighted by a defender.Plus once an Oldham fan always an Oldham fan!!:)

Bob beat me to it. Definitely was unsighted. And most likely not expecting a shot from there especially considering not one player seemed interested in getting shots off. Ripley will have been as surprised as we all were that Pringle managed to net from there.

The point I made badly about Fane, who I like and would have him in my starting 11 every week, is that teams don't need to bother about him with the ball they simply have to closely mark Byrne leaving Fane to have to make a pass rather than just lay it off to Byrne.  The same is true of our strikers.  When Doyle plays he is the one you have to mark because the ball is most likely to bounce off the rest.  This is where Pringle helped because he can receive and make a pass and would if playing give Fane another option.

Press Johny, mark Byrne & mark Doyle and hey presto you can nullify our team.  I would go 3 (Bryan, Edmundson & Gerrard) 5 (two wing backs and Fane & Gardener holding and Byrne or McEleney behind a front two) 2 (Doyle and the Duck).

Edited by Hands on

55 minutes ago, Hands on said:

The point I made badly about Fane, who I like and would have him in my starting 11 every week, is that teams don't need to bother about him with the ball they simply have to closely mark Byrne leaving Fane to have to make a pass rather than just lay it off to Byrne.  The same is true of our strikers.  When Doyle plays he is the one you have to mark because the ball is most likely to bounce off the rest.  This is where Pringle helped because he can receive and make a pass and would if playing give Fane another option.

Press Johny, mark Byrne & mark Doyle and hey presto you can nullify our team.  I would go 3 (Bryan, Edmundson & Gerrard) 5 (two wing backs and Fane & Gardener holding and Byrne or McEleney behind a front two) 2 (Doyle and the Duck).

This is why I'd like to see Nazon start alongside Doyle. With Nazon running at opposition defences and creating space then this should open space up for Byrne to run into and make its easier for Doyle. I was frustrated for him coming off the bench Saturday because he didn't have much hope of doing anything vs their defence sat deep in the snow.

I'd like to see us try 3 at the back but I don't think we have the players for it.

It seems such a long time ago since the outstanding performance vs rovers at home. A brilliant performance as a team and Davies held the ball up well and won everything that was punted up to him and quickly received support. Movement in recent games has been poor, we seem to lack urgency and ideas going forward. Whats the problem? teams figuring us out? We've played well when Byrne has been given the space to control the game but that's not happened much since then, he's closed down quickly but surely we can exploit this? We know we can pass through teams with short passes and 1-2s, whats changed?

56 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He might be, does a terrible job at it though.

He has done a good job there at times this season when he does that job effectively we usually get something from the game.

The last 2 games he hasnt done it well at all infact hes been woeful but then again so has everyoneelse.

8 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

He has done a good job there at times this season when he does that job effectively we usually get something from the game.

The last 2 games he hasnt done it well at all infact hes been woeful but then again so has everyoneelse.

He hasn't been our worst player by a long stretch this season, but our defensive record suggests he hasn't done a good job protecting the back 4...

14 hours ago, deyres42 said:

He might be, does a terrible job at it though.

As Gardner seems to be dropping deeper these days maybe Fane could be rested and a 'libero' role given to him. 

I saw Shez him play there once and he was very effective, this would accommodate the creative McEleney into the team.

Any thoughts on that?

Edited by BP1960

40 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

As Gardner seems to be dropping deeper these days maybe Fane could be rested and a 'libero' role given to him. 

I saw Shez him play there once and he was very effective, this would accommodate the creative McEleney into the team.

Any thoughts on that?

I would move Bryan back into midfield as he isn't very good at defending either.

43 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Any thoughts on that?

Not sure having a player who doesn't tackle in front of the defence is the best idea.

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I would move Bryan back into midfield as he isn't very good at defending either.

Wouldn't say he isn't good at defending but he's not as good without an experienced head alongside him. I've been saying we'd be better with him in midfield all season (see quote below from November.) Just we're thin on the ground for defenders so it's been needs must.

On 07/11/2017 at 10:50 AM, boundaryblue80 said:

We weren't when we had Clarke and Gerrard getting pulled all over the place though. Bryan went into the defence the very same game we reverted back to a back 4 (Wellens first game). It's not stopped the goals going in. Bryan is wasted in defence IMO and I feel we'd fair better with a defender alongside Clarke once again. Oh...and 2 capable fullbacks. <snip> I feel we have more hope of solving the defensive conundrum with a flat back 4 with 4 defenders and Bryan in middle though.

We should've been allowing Edmundson to go out on loan in January and securing another defender. I hope that decision doesn't cost us our place in League One.

Edited by boundaryblue80

4 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

We should've been allowing Edmundson to go out on loan in January and securing another defender. I hope that decision doesn't cost us our place in League One.

Didn't we recall Edmundson from his loan at Fylde after Matt Mills turned us down at the 11th hour?

I agree, not securing an experienced centre-back to replace Clarke was the manager's biggest dropped bollock of the window.

22 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Didn't we recall Edmundson from his loan at Fylde after Matt Mills turned us down at the 11th hour?

I agree, not securing an experienced centre-back to replace Clarke was AL's biggest dropped bollock of the window.

FTFY.

Edited by yarddog73

14 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He hasn't been our worst player by a long stretch this season, but our defensive record suggests he hasn't done a good job protecting the back 4...

I think it’s cover for full backs that make us concede so many. Wingers or the diamond midfield don’t offer any support. Lots of crosses where goals are coming from. 

On 21/03/2018 at 6:46 AM, Lee Sinnott said:

Fair point but its not just Fanes job to protect the back 4 others have to contribute too plus the defense themselves has to take some responsibility for the goals conceded column.

The other issue is our lack of options in centre midfield which do appear to be limited personally I would like to see us go to 3-5-2 which I feel might work best with our current team.