Portsmouth (H)

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

Looking at the forecast, my phone app is saying -1 and no higher than freezing. I'm not sure what the club can do to get the game on but it is looking increasingly dodgy at the moment. 

I'm no expert but, if I were them, I'd focus on ensuring that bit of the pitch that got frozen last time doesn't get frozen. 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

I'm no expert but, if I were them, I'd focus on ensuring that bit of the pitch that got frozen last time doesn't get frozen. 

Whilst acknowledging your lack of expertise, how would you propose they do that, without undersoil heating in sub zero temperatures in soil under shade, without oversoil lamps or tents from which to pump hot air?

Edited by lookersstandandy

27 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Whilst acknowledging your lack of expertise, how would you propose they do that, without undersoil heating in sub zero temperatures in soil under shade, without oversoil lamps or tents from which to pump hot air?

Why do I have to give an answer that can't involve oversoil lamps or tents from which to pump hot air?

Is this some kind of reverse straw man manoeuvre? 

A fagical lollacy? 

4 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Why do I have to give an answer that can't involve oversoil lamps or tents from which to pump hot air?

Is this some kind of reverse straw man manoeuvre? 

A fagical lollacy? 

You don’t have to give an answer that can’t involve oversoil lamps or tents..... as you correctly assert, I’m reverse straw manning you, in a pre-emptive manner, that points out to those who believe that without said tools it’s still a travesty that the game is called off in such circumstances.

What the fook queer laughing has to do with though is beyond my comprehension. :D

13 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Idd the rest of the pitch defrosts quickly in the sun can we not just double up the covers on the shaded side?

but wit h temps around zero on saturday areas in the shade will be frozen regrdless.

this game will not go ahead.

52 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Must be hard work being so negative all the time.

So negative, so sure of his negativity and, most importantly, so wrong. All the fuckin time.

Must be hard work being so boring all the time..

PS 

We'll see whose right come tomorrow .

16 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Why when dummingan is a very good player ? 

A very good player who has games where he is petrified to put a tackle in :lol: 

Dummigan is a very average player. That has the odd good game here and there. Shitloads of goals have come from his position and ineffectiveness this season. I'd like to see Hunt have a proper run in his more natural position.

13 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

If it is going to be above 0 at around 5pm tomoro then I really can’t see any problem atall.

Covers on just after high noon and we be fine.

We SHOULD be ok tomorrow. But then, it is Latics and we never cease to amaze. The frost covers are supposed to work down to -4c I believe. The last home postponement was more down to a couple of days of frost set in. It's not meant to go below zero until well after midnight (according to what I look at.) Plus, if some snow showers and cloud cover arrives also, that has a small warming effect.

I'm no Michael Fish but if those covers are on now, the snow is light as predicted and the covers stay on until mid-morning, I'm confident we will be playing. There really is nothing more uncertain in life than weather patterns and Latics though :lol:

Edited by boundaryblue80

30 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

We SHOULD be ok tomorrow. But then, it is Latics and we never cease to amaze. The frost covers are supposed to work down to -4c I believe. The last home postponement was more down to a couple of days of frost set in. It's not meant to go below zero until well after midnight (according to what I look at.) Plus, if some snow showers and cloud cover arrives also, that has a small warming effect.

I'm no Michael Fish but if those covers are on now, the snow is light as predicted and the covers stay on until mid-morning, I'm confident we will be playing. There really is nothing more uncertain in life than weather patterns and Latics though :lol:

50/50 for me. What Ive seen says it wont get above freezing all day. Covers will have to be off early.

Pays your money and takes your choice - but each gives cause for optimism if it's frost that's the concern. Amounts of snow tomorrow vary.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/gb/oldham/53.54000092,-2.11999989

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Oldham/

Edited by LaticsPete

15 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Pays your money and takes your choice - but each gives cause for optimism if it's frost that's the concern. Amounts of snow tomorrow vary.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/gb/oldham/53.54000092,-2.11999989

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Oldham/

Looking at the wunderground one...that forecasted Dewpoint (minus 6) is more of a worry than the air temperature (minus 2). Throws a bit more doubt on it than I originally had. 

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Dummigan is a very average player. That has the odd good game here and there. Shitloads of goals have come from his position and ineffectiveness this season. I'd like to see Hunt have a proper run in his more natural position.

I can’t agree with that, for most part of the season he has had jack Byrne infront of him providing no cover, essentially providing a 2 on 1 every game. (I like Byrne a lot and think he’s one our best playes. Also slow centre half’s who he was covering for at the start and protecting Gerrard. 

He brings the ball out of defence well and gets forward a lot, also puts in tackles when I have seen him play 

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I know what you're saying but I wonder if fullback is a position where you can look poorer than you are at our level through having to do so much and being constantly exposed through lack of support that you'd get at a higher level/in a better side?

I'm not Dummigan's biggest fan either but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was a regular in a Championship side 2 or 3 years from now. 

Like Grounds and Eardley. Neither of them looked like world beaters for us but, in hindsight, were clearly better than us...  

17 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Some of us spotted Eardley from the get-go as well as Tarky...

While others went the Lomax, Mvoto route. I know its an opinions games but at times i find it extraordinary what grown adults see when they watch a football match at Boundary Park.