Mods - Tarky

Interesting reading back one of the big criticisms of Tarky at the time of that Sheffield Wednesday league cup game was that he was outmuscled and too slow. For me it was when he started that season under Johnson circa August 2013 that he appeared to shed his puppy fat and developed physically his man strength that he started to come to the fore as a dominent centre back.

He does appear to be someone who knuckled down and worked really hard on any weaknesses in his game and he's got his rewards he should(and no doubt will) be held aloft as an example for any young coming through our system right now.

This just magnifies our complete lack of commercial sense over the last 10 years by not adding simple financial clauses for international appearances. 

It doesn't matter if its a one in a million chance....if a young player leaves for better things then it should be a no brainer...... But I guess we know the people who ran the club are bloody clueless anyway! 

Good luck to him

7 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

This just magnifies our complete lack of commercial sense over the last 10 years by not adding simple financial clauses for international appearances. 

It doesn't matter if its a one in a million chance....if a young player leaves for better things then it should be a no brainer...... But I guess we know the people who ran the club are bloody clueless anyway! 

Good luck to him

There probably was that clause, we sold it to Brentford 

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Good luck to him

We wouldn't have gotten much from Brentford given he is at Burnley. 

However if Brentford had a clause, which they may have done, we would have gotten a cut if that hadn't been sold. 

But hey those gold bricks needed paying for. 

He was extremely good in the youths, and stood out massively doing pretty much what he went on to do for us in the first team.. gliding out of the back 4 so comfortably with the ball and pretty dominant in the air. One thing I noticed very early on into playing in the first XI was how he was ordering everyone about and we needed that. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

That's what £50m gets you these days 

Good solid centre backs can bought cheaply. I'm sure RW knows who he wants now for next season and will find an adequate replacement for Clarke. 

13 hours ago, palmer1 said:

Left of Stones who is defending like a league 1 centre half. 

13 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

That's what £50m gets you these days 

After a decidedly wobbly start, Stones played very well imho. If he continues to work on his game he is going to be a top top centre back. He has all the attributes and will be our first choice centre back in Russia.

Thought Tarky had as good an England debut as I have witnessed.One thing that stood out to me was in the tunnel pre-match he spoke at length with the

mascot, a real two-way conversation which must had made the little lad's night. It's a refreshing change from the usual premiership footballer's pathetic attempts at "connecting" with fans. As my Grandma used to say " It's nice to be important, but important to be nice". Anyway Tarky has confirmed my impression that he's a thoroughly nice lad and I hope he goes far !