Oxford vs Latics

1 hour ago, Hands on said:

And then there were six in the relegation mix.  Those on 47 should get clear.

Two games stand out for me - Rochdale and Northampton both away.  Win those we stay up, lose and they might be the two of the six to escape.

Far too simplistic and discounting those on 47 now is ludicrous.  

3 hours ago, johnafoafc said:

Oxford still have a couple of wins to grind out from a tricky sequence of games. The Peterborough victory apart, they’ve been on an awful run. Walsall too have been on an awful run.

Please stop mentioning teams on an awful run; we're very good at ending them, although we should have beaten Oxford yesterday. They are a poor side.

Having said that, they should have capitalised on Bryan's early error and thank God Johny kept them out near the end.

However, if Nazon had got his head up in the last 10 minutes, he'd have first found Holloway unmarked in the box and then McEleney who could have possibly tucked one away.

Oxford were hanging on for dear life for the last 10 minutes of the first half, but we didn't come back out with the same purpose and energy. That let them back into the game when we should have been battering them.

There's definitely a footballer in McEleney and I reckon he'll be a real asset next season. It also looks like we've got a gem in Hamer; you'd think he'd been in the first team for ages, he was so assured and playing out of position too. He's a RB, not a CB. He was MOM for me. 

No one had a poor game, even though Fane and Gardner blew hot and cold, Byrne was mostly too deep and, whilst Obadeyi had the beating of his full back, his final ball let him down. Moimbe is a decent quality LB and gets good crosses in; wouldn't mind him in permanently.

Doyle ran his nuts off, but it wasn't his day. I'd have had Holloway on instead of Nazon to give Doyle more support with knock downs and the like, but I think RW wanted pace over brute force.

All in all, a point wasn't a disaster, but we should have had three. And we most likely would have done but for the officials. Maybe the "shove" on Moimbe in the first half might have been a bit soft (we were too far away to be certain), but how the sodding hell did the liner and that clown Ilderton not give the blatant push in the back on Hunt? 

The liner was dead level with it and never moved a muscle. I'm not sure he was even watching. 

Play like we did at times yesterday over longer periods and we'll beat Walsall. 

On 07/04/2018 at 5:07 PM, BP1960 said:

How did Hamer do? 

For someone who can't be older than 14 I would say he did exceptional.  He looked a very calm head for a kid making his debut, in a team which was a bit all over at times. If that's what he builds on, and isn't just an adrenaline fueled anomaly, he could prove a good find. He's absolutely tiny, mind.  Need to get him on whatever bulk-up plan they put Tarky on!

Elsewhere I thought we looked entirely like a team capable of going down. Not sure that means we will or not, I've seen only two games this year and thus far too little to comment.  But based on the limited exposure to Charlton away and Oxford away, it makes me think staying up would be more down to other's failings than our own successes. 

4 hours ago, NewBlue said:

That’s a shame. Think he’s the best import of the lot since Abdallah got involved.

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

He’s hardly up against a stellar line up is he....?

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Hardly a ringing endorsement...

He’s started 8 games for us now and my view is that he has been a decent addition to the team. Had a good chance to watch him closely in the first half at Oxford and he looks like he has good pace and positional awareness - he’s not afraid to work hard and puts his foot in when needed. 

I think he should be judged on his own merits rather than in comparison to the generally average loanees/signings we have seen recently.

It does raise another question:

How many of the Lemsagam incoming would you actually want to be here next season?

14 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

He’s started 8 games for us now and my view is that he has been a decent addition to the team. Had a good chance to watch him closely in the first half at Oxford and he looks like he has good pace and positional awareness - he’s not afraid to work hard and puts his foot in when needed. 

I think he should be judged on his own merits rather than in comparison to the generally average loanees/signings we have seen recently.

It does raise another question:

How many of the Lemsagam incoming would you actually want to be here next season?

I was going to do my regular end of season poll of each player to retain or release but am waiting till we are certain which division we are in as that will have a bearing.

Interesting when I  was going through the list most on paper I thought would have plenty of keep supporters (if we stayed up), yet as a team we have struggled again.

57 minutes ago, singe said:

I was going to do my regular end of season poll of each player to retain or release but am waiting till we are certain which division we are in as that will have a bearing.

Interesting when I  was going through the list most on paper I thought would have plenty of keep supporters (if we stayed up), yet as a team we have struggled again.

Look forward to the poll - I have my thoughts already...

Do you have a summary of how the poll reflected actuality from last season?