Matt Mills

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

Just because they are bottom of the league doesn't mean they haven't got some good players. Most on here would have Ripley, I would take Ince over dreadful Fane every time and the left back had a good game against us.

Ripley would be huge improvement on what we have as for Ince he would have to be one hell of a player to replace Fane,

38 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

I am looking forward to signing Championship quality players.  Let’s have some ambition and look up.

Lets sign players who are going to become championship players because we want to become a championship club its what we have always done best at. Lets look for a Barrett Warhurst Irwin or a Dale Stephens or Tarkowski. The difference being that we sign these players and we keep and develop them so that they become championship players with Oldham Athletic. Lets not look at signing a player just because they have had 1 good game against us or they were good 5 years ago like Jermaine Beckford.

Id have to worry about a player like Mills who went to Barnsley just to sit on their bench rather than come to us and play how hungry is he to still be a footballer? 

Infact we've already got a young player who is going to become a championship player on our books lets sign Kean Bryan in the summer. 

Edited by GlossopLatic

5 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Lets sign players who are going to become championship players because we want to become a championship club its what we have always done best at. Lets look for a Barrett Warhurst Irwin or a Dale Stephens or Tarkowski. The difference being that we sign these players and we keep and develop them so that they become championship players with Oldham Athletic. Lets not look at signing a player just because they have had 1 good game against us or they were good 5 years ago like Jermaine Beckford.

Id have to worry about a player like Mills who went to Barnsley just to sit on their bench rather than come to us and play how hungry is he to still be a footballer? 

Infact we've already got a young player who is going to become a championship player on our books lets sign Kean Bryan in the summer. 

I think we should be signing championship quality that could become premier. 

1 hour ago, Twisbrogan said:

Ripley isn't their player.

There are better keepers than Ripley. He’s shiping goals at Bury. Also unlike last season he’s had one clean sheet. Even our Johnny has better stats than Ripley this season.

Just now, Smiler13 said:

I think we should be signing championship quality that could become premier. 

I think your being massively over optimistic and totally unrealistic. You do know we’ve been in this league for over TWENTY years ? Mostly at the bottom end , especially recently. Why would said ‘fantasy team’ players want to sign for us ? I’ve yet to see any evidence that AL is a multi billionaire. A slow gradual build with obvious signs of some ambition will do for me. So long as I can see that AL is TRYING to improve the club. He’ll do for me. For now.  

2 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

There are better keepers than Ripley. He’s shiping goals at Bury. Also unlike last season he’s had one clean sheet. Even our Johnny has better stats than Ripley this season.

Who do you fancy ? Petr Cech is no longer in his prime. De Gea wants to go back to Spain. Who do you suggest ? 

3 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I think your being massively over optimistic and totally unrealistic. You do know we’ve been in this league for over TWENTY years ? Mostly at the bottom end , especially recently. Why would said ‘fantasy team’ players want to sign for us ? I’ve yet to see any evidence that AL is a multi billionaire. A slow gradual build with obvious signs of some ambition will do for me. So long as I can see that AL is TRYING to improve the club. He’ll do for me. For now.  

Well you get nowhere without ambition. I was thinking on the lines of picking up players like big Joe used to do and develop them . 

3 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Who do you fancy ? Petr Cech is no longer in his prime. De Gea wants to go back to Spain. Who do you suggest ? 

There will be plenty of decent experienced keepers out of contract at the end of the season. I don’t have to name them but I don’t expect to sign Premier keepers get real. 

1 hour ago, Smiler13 said:

Well you get nowhere without ambition. I was thinking on the lines of picking up players like big Joe used to do and develop them . 

There was no Bosman rule then, therefore players move on quicker.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

No but you can still sign good young players today with a point to prove who can help your club succeed or you sell them on for a profit.

It is a lot harder these days as The Premiership clubs sweep up young players into their acadamies just to see how they turn out. I would like us to try and get some conference/non league signings as Peterborough seem to be good at this, but then again there will be signing on fees still and we ain't got any money.

27 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

It is a lot harder these days as The Premiership clubs sweep up young players into their acadamies just to see how they turn out. I would like us to try and get some conference/non league signings as Peterborough seem to be good at this, but then again there will be signing on fees still and we ain't got any money.

The stock piling of players by the big clubs is a problem you are right. However you can still get players from big clubs to sign to the likes of us. You have to use the loan market wiseley the big clubs will still allow players to slip through the net and we can hoover them up. We can slso look at those from non league and league 2 like you said tbeir are ways to play the system properly and getting value in the transfer market

Having strong effective player recruitment is the most important thing for a football club to get right in fact no club has ever succeeded without one.

6 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

A la Ousmane Fane

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Yes, but I would like them to be able to play football at least and then have some potential sell on value. Not waste £20,000 like we did on this fella.

Possibly the worst post ever to grace OWTB.

14 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Yes, but I would like them to be able to play football at least and then have some potential sell on value. Not waste £20,000 like we did on this fella.

I'll bet you any money you want he's worth more than that now.

1. We paid £50k for Fane (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36965693

2. His contract ends at the end of the season, there's an option for another year, but I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't taken (I don't actually think Wellens rates him that highly). 

3. The Manchester marathon is today I hope all those that rate Fane had their scouting hats on watching it.