Matt Mills

4 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Mate plays for Fleetwood, let’s say our bid for Cole was a token. Nothing like the money Wigan offered the previous day and only got accepted when our bid was ‘announced’. Was never happening. 

4 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Didn't Fleetwood accept our bid? i.e They were happy with what we were offering them in exchange for the opportunity to talk to Cole, indicating it can't have been buttons/token? Otherwise, why would they accept it?

My understanding was that Wigan were prepared to pay Cole more wages than us.... which could well have been buttons/token?..... this is what Wellens referred to when he said something like, "If we'd just pushed it a bit more....."

As I understand it, our bid for Cole WAS accepted, but Fleetwood then made it public knowledge, which allowed other club(s) to step in. That gave the Plastics the opportunity to dig into their war chest of dosh to land him. Clever by Fleetwood, but maybe not exactly ethical, although it probably goes on all the time to start a bidding war. Money is ruining the game when you have clubs in League 1 still living off Premiership parachute payments and the FFP rules favouring the "bigger" clubs.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Where’s it been said that Abdallah blocked MM transfer?

"We agreed a deal with Matt Mills but he decided to go to Barnsley because we couldn't give him an extra year on the contract”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/oldham-athletic-richie-wellens-latics-14232009.amp

8 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

"We agreed a deal with Matt Mills but he decided to go to Barnsley because we couldn't give him an extra year on the contract”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/oldham-athletic-richie-wellens-latics-14232009.amp

Why is this a bad thing? I don't understand? Annoyed because he's not stupid enough to get tied into a longer contract than he wants with an ageing footballer?

51 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Why is this a bad thing? I don't understand? Annoyed because he's not stupid enough to get tied into a longer contract than he wants with an ageing footballer?

This does not make sense because he went to Barnsley on a 6 months contract

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It’s a bad thing because, let’s say our only recognised experienced centre half got injured and then the make do one we have on loan from Citeh also got injured, this might leave us dangerously exposed in defensive cover and having to play a 20yo & 18yo alongside each other in defence, while battling relegation.

Also for consideration.... he (AL) was happy enough to tie himself to a long contract in respect of Maouche, who - regardless of age - has no chance of threatening the 1st 11.

Edited by lookersstandandy

34 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

You’d think a recall for Clarke would make sense for all parties given Bury are pretty much down. Are we allowed?

No.  I think he's still ours next season.  But giving Edmundson a go will hopefully be a major benefit for the club.

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

It’s a bad thing because, let’s say our only recognised experienced centre half got injured and then the make do one we have on loan from Citeh also got injured, this might leave us dangerously exposed in defensive cover and having to play a 20yo & 18yo alongside each other in defence, while battling relegation.

Also for consideration.... he (AL) was happy enough to tie himself to a long contract in respect of Maouche, who - regardless of age - has no chance of threatening the 1st 11.

. . And the rest. Having said that Wellens did get good backing with his choices in fees for Byrne, and McEleney. And got Benyu, Pringle, Nazon, Doyle, and Bryan in on loan. 

So the question is; are we short because we carry 5/6 French lads that never play. Or because in Jan, out of 7 signings Wellens chose one defender??

The fact he missed out on Mills is a bit of a moot point. If he was that interested he would had 3/4 centre half’s lined up. Didn’t struggle to pick up midefileders and strikers did he? 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

1. ....Having said that Wellens did get good backing with his choices in fees for Byrne, and McEleney. And got Benyu, Pringle, Nazon, Doyle, and Bryan in on loan. 

2. ....are we short because we carry 5/6 French lads that never play. Or because in Jan, out of 7 signings Wellens chose one defender??

3. The fact he missed out on Mills is a bit of a moot point. If he was that interested he would had 3/4 centre half’s lined up. Didn’t struggle to pick up midefileders and strikers did he? 

1. Nazon wasn't Wellens' choice.....

2. & 3. I can't argue with that..... either way, whether shortsightedness on behalf of Wellens, Lemsagam or both ..... we are staring a relegation dog-fight run in, lacking a suitable defensive leader.

3 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Yet we seem content to tie ourselves into contracts with a lot of shite foreign imports who are on a lot more money than the majority of the squad yet never seem to play.