Tony Philliskirk

This probably doesn't belong here, but I have seen that Simon Cooper (who has taken over from TP in the short term) has tweeted asking for trialists for the Under 8's, but they are only after left footed players. He says they have enough right footed players. Seems a bit ridiculous to me...

33 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

This probably doesn't belong here, but I have seen that Simon Cooper (who has taken over from TP in the short term) has tweeted asking for trialists for the Under 8's, but they are only after left footed players. He says they have enough right footed players. Seems a bit ridiculous to me...

A lot of the French lads were Muslim, interesting that we're going for Catholics at youth level.....

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Thought it was April fools day.

It is ridiculous, a natural talent who could become a star not considered because he's right footed.

What do we do turn them away and send them to Rochdale or Bury?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Thought it was April fools day.

It is ridiculous, a natural talent who could become a star not considered because he's right footed.

What do we do turn them away and send them to Rochdale or Bury?

Probably still a struggle to lift the ball off the ground at 8 years old, I wouldn't get too upset.

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

You are absolutely right, but I find it really weird that our youth coaches will only accept left footed trialists...

Ten minutes a night kicking a ball against a wall. Both footed in no time, speaking as a once right footed left back wonderkid.

14 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I was thinking about Irwin in this context 

Hardly unique either. Long ago, we had a left back called Ted West (BP 1960 and LaticsPete will no doubt remember him) and he was right footed. Works both ways too. Chris Waddle was entirely left footed, but where did he play? 

I'm speaking, of course, from my own perspective as a one time (donkey's years ago) left footed goalkeeper, the purpose of whose right leg acted only in the interests of stopping me falling over.

But, yes, it is somewhat odd that they will exclude right footed players irrespective of their ability.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Probably still a struggle to lift the ball off the ground at 8 years old, I wouldn't get too upset.

Seen some technically good 8 year olds recently, but right footed so no use to us.  

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

I'm speaking, of course, from my own perspective as a one time (donkey's years ago) left footed goalkeeper,

This is not the result of scientific study or investigative journalism but I've often noticed that the number of left footed goalkeepers often seems disproportionately high. 

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

This is not the result of scientific study or investigative journalism but I've often noticed that the number of left footed goalkeepers often seems disproportionately high. 

Their father, Satan, has special plans for them. Unless they are also red headed in which case they are Lucifer himself.

16 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Think he's realised how daft that was as he's seemingly deleted his tweets...

8 hours ago, leeslover said:

Their father, Satan, has special plans for them. Unless they are also red headed in which case they are Lucifer himself.

Thank God I'm not a red head. Oh, wait, there's very little hair at all. What does that mean?

Oh well, back on topic. I wonder how many promising kids we could potentially be missing out on? We'll probably never know, but there could be a young diamond out there that goes on to make a name for himself elsewhere. Crazy.

14 hours ago, Gentleman said:

Ten minutes a night kicking a ball against a wall. Both footed in no time, speaking as a once right footed left back wonderkid.

Not ten minutes a night but....

When David Beckham was 7 he could manage three keepy uppies, by the time he was 9 he knocked out over 2,000 (no smutty jokes please). At Manure he stayed behind for hours after training and practised free kicks (scored 65 goals direct from free kicks in his career - 74 if you count the one against Greece as ten).

George Best reportedly did similar to get his left foot to be nearly as good as his right. Footballers who give the impression of being naturally gifted, actually practised like fuck.

Kids, get off Fortnite, practise yourselves silly so the scout watching you can't tell if you're left or right footed.

14 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

yes have said the same myself. noticed last night that both England keepers could kick long off the deck with either foot. There are others about including our very own JP.

17 hours ago, deyres42 said:

We’ve had some 28 year olds who have struggled to lift the ball off the ground when attempting to put a cross in!!! ?

3 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

Not ten minutes a night but....

When David Beckham was 7 he could manage three keepy uppies, by the time he was 9 he knocked out over 2,000 (no smutty jokes please). At Manure he stayed behind for hours after training and practised free kicks (scored 65 goals direct from free kicks in his career - 74 if you count the one against Greece as ten).

George Best reportedly did similar to get his left foot to be nearly as good as his right. Footballers who give the impression of being naturally gifted, actually practised like fuck.

Kids, get off Fortnite, practise yourselves silly so the scout watching you can't tell if you're left or right footed.

Fucking hell, do you think you might fit in a bit better on here.....  http://www.redissue.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Edited by HarryBosch