Tony Philliskirk

The club have been a disgrace in allowing this to drag on. If it was a really serious issue he’d have been sacked. So I assume it’s more an allegation that has to go through the appropriate investigation procedures but this would happen as fast as the club want it to happen.

As the manager of the club at the time Wellens should have been banging down the door of the owner to sort the problem out as TP’s wisdom towards the end of the season would have been invaluable. He’s a massive loss to the club and a long term servant who knows Oldham though and through! Maybe It also shows how important the youth system is to the new owner if he hasn’t Made resolving this problem a priority?

We have been awful in nearly every area of the club for years but the one concistant positive has been the youth set up so why let it rumble on. Staggering!!! 

Rant over ha ha 

Edited by super_blue

2 hours ago, super_blue said:

The club have been a disgrace in allowing this to drag on. If it was a really serious issue he’d have been sacked. So I assume it’s more an allegation that has to go through the appropriate investigation procedures but this would happen as fast as the club want it to happen.

As the manager of the club at the time Wellens should have been banging down the door of the owner to sort the problem out as TP’s wisdom towards the end of the season would have been invaluable. He’s a massive loss to the club and a long term servant who knows Oldham though and through! Maybe It also shows how important the youth system is to the new owner if he hasn’t Made resolving this problem a priority?

We have been awful in nearly every area of the club for years but the one concistant positive has been the youth set up so why let it rumble on. Staggering!!! 

Rant over ha ha 

FA investigation Oldham suspended him as part of the course. 

Personally i dont get this myth we have a brillant youth system. The only stand out for me been tarkowski. I know a few parents whose lads have left and gone else where by choice saying it is poor at Oldham, even Rochdale been mentioned as a better experiance 

2 hours ago, OAFCinWolves said:

Personally i dont get this myth we have a brillant youth system. The only stand out for me been tarkowski. I know a few parents whose lads have left and gone else where by choice saying it is poor at Oldham, even Rochdale been mentioned as a better experiance 

Our youth teams won a few cups relatively recently.

There's the argument that none of the players released when on to make it elsewhere, but always thought that we should have kept hold of more of our youth squad who had that winning mentality to potentially carry it on to the first-team.

3 hours ago, OAFCinWolves said:

I don't think our youth development has been exaggerated. However, the club would have folded if we weren't able to produce at least one player every other year.

8 hours ago, super_blue said:

Rant over ha ha 

2 months is quite a short amount of time for any internal processes into alleged bullying or other serious misconduct being completed. 

Only a very unwise employer would sack someone straight away over alleged bullying, or other misconduct no matter the seriousness of the offence. 

4 hours ago, OAFCinWolves said:

Our 2 better players towards the end of the year came from our youth team. They don't have to be stand out after we have sold them, but Philiskirk does a good job of making players who end up at Hyde worth £200k plus to the club when theyre 16. If we had cashed in on Taylor and Eardley earlier, then we would have made a fortune on our youth in the last ten years.

5 hours ago, OAFCinWolves said:

The major problem has been the transition from Youth to first team. With a plethora of managers most won't take a chance and suffer the inconsistencies of youth for fear of their jobs. Allied to that there has been a lack of funding available to help the transition work. Edmundson and Hamer only got into the first team at the end of the season through a desperate injury situation.

We are seeing the first move in the dismantling of the youth system,Abdallahs background is as a trader of players not a developer.

16 minutes ago, youngen said:

Our 2 better players towards the end of the year came from our youth team. They don't have to be stand out after we have sold them, but Philiskirk does a good job of making players who end up at Hyde worth £200k plus to the club when theyre 16. If we had cashed in on Taylor and Eardley earlier, then we would have made a fortune on our youth in the last ten years.

But isn't that just average? Don't most clubs at our level lose 1 to 2 younger players to bigger clubs for free or a token payment? There's nothing special happening for me and I don't hear amazing things just bang average. May be wrong but Eardley and Taylor were never subjected to bids of more than 500k hardley a fortune had we sold em wen some clubs have made upwards of 3mill for some of there prospects.  

2 minutes ago, OAFCinWolves said:

But isn't that just average? Don't most clubs at our level lose 1 to 2 younger players to bigger clubs for free or a token payment? There's nothing special happening for me and I don't hear amazing things just bang average. May be wrong but Eardley and Taylor were never subjected to bids of more than 500k hardley a fortune had we sold em wen some clubs have made upwards of 3mill for some of there prospects.  

Very difficult task with the category system I'd think, anyone showing promise at early age can be winkled out for buttons, can understand why some clubs have given it up.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Very difficult task with the category system I'd think, anyone showing promise at early age can be winkled out for buttons, can understand why some clubs have given it up.

Agree, I think we're better going with the 'home of the unloved' strategy - picking up those discarded by the big local clubs and hoping we can uncover a diamond (or at least roll a turd in some glitter).

Had a quick skim. Out of the last seven intakes of scholars (about 60 players, although I couldn't find a list for 2012) we've sold just one - Renshaw to Everton.

In that time about a dozen or so earned permanent deals, but most were released the next summer.  The only stayers are Stott and Edmundson, although Hamer looks bright.

Edited by Crusoe
Forgot about Edmundson. (And Dre.)

10 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Had a quick skim. Out of the last seven intakes of scholars (about 60 players, although I couldn't find a list for 2012) we've sold just one - Renshaw to Everton.

In that time about a dozen or so earned permanent deals, but most were released the next summer.  The only stayer is Stott, although Hamer looks bright.

and Edmundson

11 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

In that time about a dozen or so earned permanent deals, but most were released the next summer.  The only stayer is Stott, although Hamer looks bright.

Interesting. 

I kept asking if the intake that were cup winners were released for monetary reasons, but assured they were not. 

Be interesting where the released have ended up. 

It really might be a case of not getting many decent prospects in the first place. 

Trying to track them down would take a while.  Most dropped to NPL or NWCL based on a quick glance.  Not sure if any recent departures have made it back to the National League, let alone League.  Luke Simpson played a few games but seems to be a free agent after leaving York City.

Edited by Crusoe

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Probably a disgruntled parent who doesn't like to hear that their son isn't the cash cow they had plans for.

Quite possibly but one lad flourished at another club after hating ours and is now being tracked by bigger clubs. Who knows

I think our youth system has been quite successful based on the competitors we are faced with in the local area. The better players at under 10’s-16’s get taken for very little by the likes of City and United. Other clubs do well with youth systems (not too many) and some are thinking that it’s a thankless task funding a youth setup such as Huddersfield and Brentford who have decided to scrap the academy idea altogether.

The last 10 years, I thought I’d have a look to see if my argument was supported in any way. We have had the following youth products (including a couple that had been sold and returned to Latics) that have played league games for Oldham.

Joel Coleman

Jamie Stott

Tom Hamer

George Edmundson

James Tarkowski

Neal Eardley

Kelvin Lomax

Paul Black

Glenn Belezika

Neal Trotman

Jack Truelove

David Mellor

Carl Winchester

Mark Allott

Deane Smalley

Kirk Millar

Jack Tuohy

Kallum Mantack

Danny Philliskirk

Chris Taylor

Matthew Wolfenden

Tom Eaves

Lewis Alessandra

Ryan Brooke

That’s a total of 24. I’d hazard a guess that not too many teams will have played 24 youth products in league games over the last 10 years or so. As you would expect, some were better than others, some were sold i.e Coleman, Tarkowski, Eaves. Others released. Some still playing for us now, others at other clubs (some within the football league)

We have also had a couple prior to the last 10 years and within the 10 year period that were sold prior to playing a game, Scott Spencer and Chris Renshaw come to mind. As well as this, we have searched for young talent elsewhere, basically post academy graduates or non league:

Darius Osei

Rhys Turner

Dale Stephens

Matt Smith

Those 4 spring to mind without looking deeper into it, two of those 4 were sold on.

Safe to say I think it has been fairly successful.