Wimbledon!

4 hours ago, ChaddySmoker said:

I'll take my boots on Tuesday night.

I can obstruct players for at least 90 minutes and will win more headers than Fanny without even getting off the ground. :blind:

Edited by stevesidg

4 hours ago, ChaddySmoker said:

I'll take my boots on Tuesday night.

I can obstruct players for at least 90 minutes and will win more headers than Fanny without even getting off the ground. :blind:

But can you ‘run’ to the edge of the box and when encouraged to shoot , either hit row Z, the corner flag or bobble it to their keeper?

43 minutes ago, Ryan said:

We’ve conceded 70 goals with him in the team!

Yeah and he shares a proportion of the blame. My point is that if he's not there we would concede more and there is no one in the squad who can win the ball back like he can. 

So he starts because we are lacking in that position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Eh? (again). 

My criticism was of the fans who seem to blame Fane for everything that goes wrong. I backed up why I disagreed with that opinion in my post. The only selective memory belongs to those who ‘forgot’ the part that Hamer and Gardner played in the goals we conceded.

Those who know me also know that in numerous posts I have supported Fane for what he does do - break up the play, get a foot in, and lay the ball off to the nearest Latics player. At no time do I make out that he is anything other than  an effective member of the team.

You say that Richie and I are taking the ‘easy option’?  Nope, still don’t get what you are trying to say. 

As for Byrne; by far the two best performances he has put in recently have been when he has come off the bench. 

Select Fanny and leave Byrne on the bench. Can you just actually think about that for a moment? Is that straight forward enough?

Let me make it clear-certain posters including myself do not want to see Fanny on the pitch until perhaps the last 10 minutes when we are 2 goals in front.

1 hour ago, welshgaz said:

Yeah and he shares a proportion of the blame. My point is that if he's not there we would concede more and there is no one in the squad who can win the ball back like he can. 

So he starts because we are lacking in that position. 

How would you know if we are lacking in that position since other players have to be moved around to accomodate him?

One day, maybe Tuesday we start without him and lo and behold let us see how we do with 11 footballers on the pitch.

As has been said by others, if we take care of the ball do we then actually need him.

Its the bleeding 3rd division not the Champions League, it shouldnt be that difficult.

11 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

How would you know if we are lacking in that position since other players have to be moved around to accomodate him?

One day, maybe Tuesday we start without him and lo and behold let us see how we do with 11 footballers on the pitch.

As has been said by others, if we take care of the ball do we then actually need him.

Its the bleeding 3rd division not the Champions League, it shouldnt be that difficult.

You tend to need players who can take care of the ball to play that way...

9 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

We clearly diasgree on this with polar opposite opinions. My take on football is that you need to have the ball to win/ score whether that be on a Sunday morning or at the top level. Fane is the only player we have that can do that. He is there to win the ball and give it simple. His distribution is coming on too, although he still has someway to go on that front.

People forget that our most successful spell came with Wellens reintroducing him into the side after Shez tried everything and everyone not to accommodate him. 

2 hours ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Select Fanny and leave Byrne on the bench. Can you just actually think about that for a moment? Is that straight forward enough?

Straightforward in that it confirms that your dislike of Fane prevents you from looking objectively at the team’s performance.

Let me make it clear-certain posters including myself do not want to see Fanny on the pitch until perhaps the last 10 minutes when we are 2 goals in front.

As Mick Jagger sang “You can’t always get what you want..’ 

?

7 hours ago, stevesidg said:

But can you ‘run’ to the edge of the box and when encouraged to shoot , either hit row Z, the corner flag or bobble it to their keeper?

He still spends time on his own watching his Danny Philliskirk, "100 greatest moments," VHS compilation so he's ready to go.

• Like 1