4 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I can't decide whether going into these final games with such an inexperienced back four is terrible luck or terrible management.

It was Clarke who played during Wellens good spell that got him the job rather than Gerrard - would Clarke have been injured now, or at all? Probably not. 

You've got to plan for Gerrard being injured because he often is but it now looks like we haven't. 

We sent the wrong man out on loan in my eyes. Although maybe only Clarke was wanted whereas Gerrard wasn't?

Stott and Edmundson have been out playing pub football when they could have been filling in here and there and getting the valuable League One experience that they're missing now we're reliant on them... And what's this going to do to them if we continue to ship goals in these last two games & go down? 

Terrible management. To get rid of our main leader has really bitten us on the arse. 

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

I can't decide whether going into these final games with such an inexperienced back four is terrible luck or terrible management.

It was Clarke who played during Wellens good spell that got him the job rather than Gerrard - would Clarke have been injured now, or at all? Probably not. 

You've got to plan for Gerrard being injured because he often is but it now looks like we haven't. 

We sent the wrong man out on loan in my eyes. Although maybe only Clarke was wanted whereas Gerrard wasn't?

Stott and Edmundson have been out playing pub football when they could have been filling in here and there and getting the valuable League One experience that they're missing now we're reliant on them... And what's this going to do to them if we continue to ship goals in these last two games & go down? 

Sending Clarke out has to be the biggest bollock dropped this season... yes his form wasn’t great at the start (and yes Bury are down) but just think his experience would be invaluable to our decimated defence 

23 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Sending Clarke out has to be the biggest bollock dropped this season... yes his form wasn’t great at the start (and yes Bury are down) but just think his experience would be invaluable to our decimated defence 

Just a minute-where did Clarke go on loan and what position is that team in now?  That worked well didn't it?

30 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

We sent the wrong man out on loan in my eyes.

You don't send Clarke out on loan-somebody has to want the player and then they go out on loan.

53 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

I've concluded that it's easier on my nerves - and blood pressure - to accept that we are going to get relegated, and anything different would be a bonus. 1970-71 was also my first season watching Latics, in the old Division 4, so it looks like I could be back where I started!

:(

I’d settle for next season being as exciting and entertaining as 70/71. Unlikely though.

20 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Just a minute-where did Clarke go on loan and what position is that team in now?  That worked well didn't it?

You don't send Clarke out on loan-somebody has to want the player and then they go out on loan.

Read the part in brackets - I’m well aware of where he went and where they are - I still think he’d be a plus in our position now 

31 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Me and Buckshaw both said both of those exact things in the very posts you've quoted - what an odd & novel new way of debating..... :blink:

I'm going to call it "reverse strawman with triple pike." 

Good luck with it. 

Edited by HarryBosch

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

The other thing with Clarke going was to get us back under SCMP so we could register players before the window shut (as the takeover was dragging on) - probably not Wellens' decision. I'd imagine Clarke's on a chunk more than Gerrard.

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

I've concluded that it's easier on my nerves - and blood pressure - to accept that we are going to get relegated, and anything different would be a bonus. 1970-71 was also my first season watching Latics, in the old Division 4, so it looks like I could be back where I started!

1960s and 70s in the 4th..great days.

2 hours ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Read the part in brackets - I’m well aware of where he went and where they are - I still think he’d be a plus in our position now 

Of course he would be. Not many seem to recognise that preferring to point to his form prior to leaving. Even more frustratingly his replacement is letting us down by not being available for selection.

Southend played with a much weakened team, RW should have stressed this and gone for the jugular from the off. What happened was the opposition gained the early initiative as usual.

Why can't he motivate them to start faster?

Edited by BP1960

8 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

I still think Doyle’s effort crossed the line. Possibly because in an attempt to cover the steep £24 ticket price I put £20 on Doyle to score. Poor night all round ?.

It was hard to tell because most of the goal line is missing

16 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

I still think Doyle’s effort crossed the line. Possibly because in an attempt to cover the steep £24 ticket price I put £20 on Doyle to score. Poor night all round ?.

Doubling up against Doncaster?

2 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Been chasing it since pretty much his last goal to be honest!

In the interests of the many, however, I will not be placing this bet at weekend.

Doyle will probably score an hat trick now.

8 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Been chasing it since pretty much his last goal to be honest!

In the interests of the many, however, I will not be placing this bet at weekend.

Reminds me of a syndicate racehorse I had shares in, ran  15 times and never placed, backed it every time. Then the trainer runs it at an evening meeting in Scotland where none of us could get to.

Of course it won at 50/1 and I didnt have a penny on it.

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Reminds me of a syndicate racehorse I had shares in, ran  15 times and never placed, backed it every time. Then the trainer runs it at an evening meeting in Scotland where none of us could get to.

Of course it won at 50/1 and I didnt have a penny on it.

Just think if you did you would have 51p now !!

• Like 1

Apologies if it's been mentioned somewhere in the 11 page thread, but I'm surprised Wellens hasn't considered Holloway at CB, considering that's where he started his career. Strong, good in the air, good with the ball at his feet, by no means slow, semi-experienced. Worth a try if Gerrard is still injured.

On 25/04/2018 at 10:46 AM, LaticMark said:

Exactly the same for me.I don't want us to get relegated but to be honest had some great times then watching the likes of  Wood,Whittle,Bebbington,Bryceland,Shaw Fryatt etc not forgetting my personal favorite manager of all...Sir Jimmy Frizzell who just edges it over Joe Imo.  Looks like  it's  back to my roots time.

Once an Oldham fan always an Oldham fan.