If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

11 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Just interested in peoples opinions. Personally would stick with him.

I can understand people wanting to give him a chance next season if we stay up. It might be harsh, but I would shake his hand, and go in a different direction. 

But if we go down. . 

It’s just a no brainier. He would have to go IMO. 

(Awaits the onslaught from the stability brigade. ?) 

Edited by League one forever

I've not been impressed with him after the new manager burst he had. Since then I think we have been poor tactically..sticking to a formation that doesn't work and conceding poor goals by over playing in our own last 3Rd.. We must have one of the worst midfields in the division.

I've put no.  He's had enough time and a good enough squad to keep us up and I still think he'll do it.  If he does keep us up I'd keep him on.  He's made mistakes but none that I think can't be improved on.

My exception to the above is the amount of money and the plan for next season.  If the budget is the equivalent to what Corney has provided then I'd give Wellens the time to rebuild and challenge as I don't think we'd be able to afford an obviously better manager.

Alternatively if we have significantly more money and a plan to go for short term success, then I'd trust the budget with a more experienced manager even if we stay up.  Similarly if we are planning on signing a lot of Lemsagam's players from abroad then a foreign manager might be appropriate to get the best out of them (this is the option I'm most sceptical of and would prefer not to happen).

Has to go at the end of the season now for me regardless.

Let's be honest if we stay up it will be down to rochdale or Walsall being shite just as much as it will us plucking a win from nowhere. 

He hasn't done much wrong, but then again he hasn't done much of anything.

His best players were here before he was appointed, and while he did change it tonight his refusal to play to Byrnes and Doyle's strengths (as he did in the honeymoon period) is what is sending us down. 

It's just gutting that we can finally look forward in the summer, a fresh start without corney and we have to do it from a league below. I'm resigned to relegation now

7 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I've put no.  He's had enough time and a good enough squad to keep us up and I still think he'll do it.  If he does keep us up I'd keep him on.  He's made mistakes but none that I think can't be improved on.

My exception to the above is the amount of money and the plan for next season.  If the budget is the equivalent to what Corney has provided then I'd give Wellens the time to rebuild and challenge as I don't think we'd be able to afford an obviously better manager.

Alternatively if we have significantly more money and a plan to go for short term success, then I'd trust the budget with a more experienced manager even if we stay up.  Similarly if we are planning on signing a lot of Lemsagam's players from abroad then a foreign manager might be appropriate to get the best out of them (this is the option I'm most sceptical of and would prefer not to happen).

Pretty much where I am, I see no evidence so far that AL has the funds to invest in the team or get decent players cheaply, so it is more of the same. To me the odds are far more likely we will follow Tranmere & Chesterfield than bounce back up at the moment.

Edited by singe

I'd look elsewhere even if we manage to contrive a way to survive. To extract so little from this side shows Wellens isn't ready yet, and the approach against Rochdale was so far off what I expect to see from a Latics side.

Perhaps a position underneath somebody with more experience is what is required at the moment for him.

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

It’s so odd. 

Why didnt the club/wellens replace Jewell? 

I suspect we used the money on players.

I wonder where we would b if Jewell had stayed?

I wonder if RW just didn't listen to Jewell?

I wonder where we'd be if we'd appointed Scholes.. ( I know we couldn't have done given RW's results then)

Defended him an awful lot over the course of the last six months, but he can go for me now.

The last few games have proved to me that he isn’t tactically astute enough to manage us. Whether he would be able to get it right at another club remains to be seen.

He has totally ran out of ideas.

1 minute ago, singe said:

I wonder where we'd be if we'd appointed Scholes.. ( I know we couldn't have done given RW's results then)

or if we had kept Sheridan/he stuck at it for a little longer...

Just now, Latics_Fanatic said:

Defended him an awful lot over the course of the last six months, but he can go for me now.

The last few games have proved to me that he isn’t tactically astute enough to manage us. Whether he would be able to get it right at another club remains to be seen.

He has totally ran out of ideas.

The problem is he wont change his ideas, sticking with a disjointed system that's not working.

Just now, singe said:

Mmmm. 

I think Jewell liked the idea of coaching again. Then he went down to chapel road, borrowed someone else’s training gear-got changed in the car park and thought. . . 

Nah. Fuck this. 

They probably did spend his wage on a player, but seen as though we’ve got a squad of 53, I would of hoped that someone might of mentioned replacing him. 

It seems not. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Mmmm. 

I think Jewell liked the idea of coaching again. Then he went down to chapel road, borrowed someone else’s training gear-got changed in the car park and thought. . . 

Nah. Fuck this. 

They probably did spend his wage on a player, but seen as though we’ve got a squad of 53, I would of hoped that someone might of mentioned replacing him. 

It seems not. 

No one mentions Paul Terry's role in all this, the team organisation looks non existent.

Edited by BP1960

Needs to go.

One of my favourite players to watch at Latics in recent years and wanted him to succeed I really did.

However, can probably be filed alongside David Dunn in terms of managerial ability. Luckily not as much of a prick but just as awful as a manager.

Can’t motivate them or set them up with a plan so we might as well play out the last 2 games with no one in charge! 

Let the fans pick the team via a twitter poll and have some motivational messages off here read out in the dressing room before kick off.

I joke, but sadly we’d probably have more of a chance....