Doncaster

Next instalment in ‘biggest game of ...’

How does Wellens pull this side together? Proper wingers possibly and Nepo out of the exile. Byrne central surely. Holloway from the start? Drop Fane and go for it? Does Nazon keep his place?

Do we reduce prices to a fiver to get to get a crowd in? Appeal to fans to create a din which we reserve for away matches and the FA Cup?

Part of me thinks we’re done for either way, given how poorly we’ve utilised some really talented players, but we may only need one flukey victory to stay up

Edited by NewBlue

We need structure, and try and nick a 1-0 win. If we go for it and concede early that’s it, heads gone and the players will bottle it.!with the defence we have, get midfielders all structure, jack a free role in the middle, and Doyle up top on his own. Try and steal a win. I know we have played shite with that but I think it’s our best chance 

or even nazon instead of Doyle who looks fucking goosed 

Edited by LightDN123

Filling the stadium shouldn't make any difference.

Last night was a must win game - if the manager couldn't motivate the players then serious questions now need asking into next season (although I'm certain that decision was made ages ago hence the downturn).  

Owners have stumped up good money to secure Byrne, Doyle, Pringle and the rest... they have the ability so it's either tactics, training, motivation - all 100% down to the manager.

If the players and manager cannot secure at least 4 points from the last two games then they deserve relegation.  The fans don't though so hopefully Mr Lemsagam has a contingency in place next season for us to bounce back.

I'm remaining positive but if it does happen then it might be the kickstart that's needed; different league, different teams, new owner and whilst we have no divine right to be better, hopefully a budget and playing staff greater than most in the league to enable us to challenge at the top of the table rather than bottom.  Fresh impetus that could carry us on into future seasons.

16 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Last night was a must win game - if the manager couldn't motivate the players then serious questions now need asking into next season (although I'm certain that decision was made ages ago hence the downturn).  

Owners have stumped up good money to secure Byrne, Doyle, Pringle and the rest... they have the ability so it's either tactics, training, motivation - all 100% down to the manager.

If the players and manager cannot secure at least 4 points from the last two games then they deserve relegation.  The fans don't though so hopefully Mr Lemsagam has a contingency in place next season for us to bounce back.

I'm remaining positive but if it does happen then it might be the kickstart that's needed; different league, different teams, new owner and whilst we have no divine right to be better, hopefully a budget and playing staff greater than most in the league to enable us to challenge at the top of the table rather than bottom.  Fresh impetus that could carry us on into future seasons.

Strictly speaking it wasn't a must win game.

Can't believe motivation is a issue, seems to be a lazy cliche that people throw out.

Unfortunately the spine of the team isn't of a high enough standard.

2 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I think Richie has massively underestimated the battle. Those draws from Oxforf onwards have crippled us. In seasons gone by we’ve won them comfortably and we’ve been safe by now...

Think that is a fair point, possibly guilty of thinking too far ahead and coming up with arbitrary point numbers rather than just focusing on the next match.

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

So... first of all, I didn’t go last night so my knowledge of how the game went is informed by the official reports, the comments on this forum and the post match report from my brother.

His comment was that the score could have been 5-5...

Two games left to preserve our league 1 status. We’re not dead yet but...

Doyle has played 11 games since his return and scored 2. It’s fair to say that the blame for the position we find ourselves in is a collective one with Wellens being rightly criticised for his team selection/positional selection etc. And the players take a large portion of blame too.

However, it is also fair to say that Doyle has not been the player he was pre illness. He still gets himself into great scoring positions at least 4 or 5 times in a game but his sadly been misfiring this time around.

if only...

Two games to go Eoin - still time to do the business. ?

Edited by TheBigDog

22 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Strictly speaking it wasn't a must win game.

Can't believe motivation is a issue, seems to be a lazy cliche that people throw out.

Unfortunately the spine of the team isn't of a high enough standard.

Granted our defence has been affected by injury with Gerrard and Bryan out but both midfield and attack is arguably better than last season and the season before when we stayed up comfortably.

Motivation is crucial.  I don't mean players have stopped caring but I'm talking instilling positivity, attitude and leadership.  Shez obviously has this ability after saving us twice and Fleetwood this season.  

Last night was a must win game to alleviate some of the pressure from the team.  Hopefully they thrive on pressure because it's now been ramped up significantly.  An effective manager should be able to instil in those players that every game now is a cup final - cliches I know but it's firing them up mentally.

Difference of opinion I guess 

31 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Think that is a fair point, possibly guilty of thinking too far ahead and coming up with arbitrary point numbers rather than just focusing on the next match.

Saying one point wouldnt be a disaster may have led players to believe that.

If possible getting Gerrard on the pitch could be crucial. 

Start Byrne in the middle, not after 20 minutes when it’s clear Fane and Gardner were struggling.

Nepo on the left to put those crosses in between defence and keeper. 

Is Moimbe back for this one?

5 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

*Drop Fane

*Play Nepo

*Offer a £2000 scoring and assist bonus

*Offer a £2000 clean sheet bonus to back 4 and goalkeeper

*Buy the player Nandos for tea if we win

Football League won’t like that if Accy Stanley are anything to go by

I think the most telling set of stats last night was

Oldham Shots 18 Oldham Shots on Target 6 Oldham Goals Scored 0

Southend Shots 14 Southend Shots on Target 7 Southend Goals Scored 3

We have 2 problems, not converting chances and conceding too high from shots on target quite often this season,=.

The perfect storm.

13 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but how badly do we need Clarke and maybe even green. We loaned them out and replaced them with who ? Pringle beni benteke, no centre back. Poor business!

Just because the replacements have been dogshit it doesn't make getting rid of them the wrong thing to do, after all many were tipping us for top half and playoffs once we got rid of Clarke and Green and Flynn and Jewell....