League Two Consequences

In the likely event of our relegation we’re going to suffer a lot. 

The summer will will have to be a total re-build operation. I presume players will be sold/ moved on. Can’t see Byrne Doyle etc. wanting to play 4th division football...

Attendances will drop to new time lows with the prospect fixtures of Morecambe, Forest Green and Colchester. 

Very rarely do teams bounce back. Only team I can remember doing it was Doncaster but they kept their team and staff in place and won the league fairly easily. Other sides who are similar to ourselves in size and attendance (Yeovil, Crewe, Colchester) have seriously struggled.

I only see another dark 5-10 years ahead. 

We have to hope for a miracle that Oxford and Charlton beat Dale and Northampton don’t catch up. 

Hard to believe the BP phones will be ringing off the hook with offers from any of them.

All about the finances, if the budget is decent enough and they are left to their own devices then I think a few managers will fancy having a crack at it.

It won't take much to get the fanbase back onside.

I don't think finances will be massively different. 

If, and it is an if, we're winning and going for promotion I think crowds might well improve. Especially towards the end of the season.

Although away followings at BP will be poorer. 

It could be the making of us and we come back up with a bit of momentum or we could do a Chesterfield. 

I'm still clinging to the hope we never find out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I don't think finances will be massively different. 

19.02.15 EFL announcement on FA solidarity payments; So we're gonna lose 33% of what we have been receiving from the FA if we go down.

Under the agreement, parachute payments to relegated Premier League clubs will be reduced from the current four season to three seasons, with Championship clubs (that are not in receipt of parachute payments) being awarded a solidarity payment equivalent to 30% of a  third-year parachute payment. League 1 and League 2 clubs will receive 4.5% and 3% of a third-year payment, respectively. 

https://www.efl.com/news/2015/february/football-league-clubs-get-double-financial-boost/

Edited by lookersstandandy

12 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

19.02.15 EFL announcement on FA solidarity payments; So we're gonna lose 33% of what we have been receiving from the FA if we go down.

Under the agreement, parachute payments to relegated Premier League clubs will be reduced from the current four season to three seasons, with Championship clubs (that are not in receipt of parachute payments) being awarded a solidarity payment equivalent to 30% of a  third-year parachute payment. League 1 and League 2 clubs will receive 4.5% and 3% of a third-year payment, respectively. 

IIRC we heavily relied on the solidarity payments for our budget.
EDIT.

Just seen what you mean.

We go from L1 £677k to  L2£472k

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-how-much-relegation-league-14319139

Championship clubs get £4.30m

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/09/premier-league-destroying-game-efl-starving-accrington-chairman-andy-holt

And the Prem threaten to cut you off if you complain.

double Edit

Yes we do rely on the FL TV & PL payments for our budget. More here.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/football-indepth/cost-of-relegation-drop-means-football-clubs/

Edited by singe

6 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2015/february/football-league-clubs-get-double-financial-boost/

Doesn't seem an equal playing field to me.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Doesn't seem an equal playing field to me.

You only just figured that one out? The English league is not geared towards the 'underdog'

The rich get richer while nobody gives a shit if the poor live or die...

See the government of this country for further examples.

Edited by palmer1

I can't imagine we'll be signing Doyle if we go down. Even if we are willing to stump up his wages, there'll be plenty of L1 teams who'll take him.

Hopefully we'll keep Davies though. The likes of Hunt, Dummigan, Edmundson and Stott are young enough and probably good enough to be very capable players at that level. 

In midfield, I'd keep Fane purely as a squad player though, in no way should be the first name on the sheet like this season. Would be nice to keep Byrne but we may not have a choice. We'll also see what Paddy Mac is made of at that level. 

Edited by PlayItLivo

41 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

That 33% was worth £120,000 per annum to us;

"The Premier League also increased the Football League solidarity payments across seasons 2016/17 to 2018/19. Solidarity payments are a share of the revenue that Premier League clubs pay towards the development of football in the lower leagues. Championship clubs previously received a flat fee of £2.3m each per season, with League One clubs getting £360,000 a season, and League Two clubs receiving £240,000. Under the new arrangements, Football League clubs will receive solidarity payments which amount to a percentage of the value of a Year 3 parachute payment. Championship clubs will each receive 30%, League One clubs 4.5% and League Two clubs 3% of the value of a Year 3 parachute payment"

If we assume the 3rd year Parachute payment to be c£10m [roughly what the 3 clubs below received, then 3% is worth £300k and 4.5% £450k, so we'd now be losing out on c£150k per annum;

"The three clubs relegated from the top flight for the 2014/15 season – Hull, QPR and Burnley – received £64m split over four years: £24m in the first year, then £19.3m, then £9.6m for each of the next two years."

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/premier-league-parachute-payment/

3 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

At least other L2 teams will have lower incomes as well.

True, but several will be comparatively well funded from elsewhere. Eg Carlisle,Colchester, Notts County, Port Vale, Forest Green, Fylde if they come up, Ebbsfleet have a Kuwait owner if they also get promotion

39 minutes ago, singe said:

True, but several will be comparatively well funded from elsewhere. Eg Carlisle,Colchester, Notts County, Port Vale, Forest Green, Fylde if they come up, Ebbsfleet have a Kuwait owner if they also get promotion

That's our play off hopes gone then.

3 hours ago, singe said:

We go from L1 £677k to L2 £472k...... (£205k)

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

That 33% was worth £120,000 per annum to us....    .....If we assume the 3rd year Parachute payment to be c£10m [roughly what the 3 clubs below received, then 3% is worth £300k and 4.5% £450k, so we'd now be losing out on c£150k per annum;

So, we've ascertained that the loss in Income from solidarity payments alone, is a 6 figure sum that could be over £200k.

I wonder what the value of the Matt Mills contract that was refused by the owner would've been worth over it's term.

In addition to the solidarity payments, the basic award that clubs receive from the football league would drop by about £200k too. So you’re looking at a drop of around £400k before a ball has been kicked.

I hope AL has got deep pockets if he’s planning on staying around for a stint in league two.

Edited by johnafoafc

I realise that it's unworkable, because no players would accept it but contracts should be structured to include a salary decrease in the case of a relegation. Players likely expect more pay with a promoted club, the opposite should be true...in an ideal world. I would like to think that the threat hanging over their heads would prompt more effort and determination.

As I said, wishful thinking as the reality would probably cause more transfer complications than it is worth.

I've been contemplating this over the course of today. If we go down our league attendances for next year will depend on what signings we make over summer and how well said team does in league 2. Naturally, I would think gates will drop slightly after the initial wave of pissed offness hits but if we become successful ie pushing for playoffs or automatic, people will come back and I would say over time, if we are in this position, we'd probably get improved attendances as people want to see Oldham winning games. After so many years of seeing us struggle, people, including myself would be glad of actually seeing a battle at the right end of the table. It'd be interesting to see if attendance figures would be better than in league 1 if we go down but do well. 

It could of course go the other way and we don't sign the right players and we fall away. The said wave off pissed offness will increase leaving more scope for further disgruntled fans to not return. 

In essence, it all depends on what happens after the curtain closes on this season and what occurs over close season. It will be a test of AL' s credentials and desire if we do go down. Will he stump up for a squad that someone( *If not RW) can work with to build us back up? It's going to be a very frustrating and difficult wait over the next few months. Having said that, all this could be irrelevant and we will be building for league 1. Either way a very very big few months in our history.