League Two Consequences

Ownership

The most crucial aspect when it comes to the effects of our relegation.  I would’ve been worried if we went down in recent years with Corney calling the shots because there would’ve been next to no chance of getting back up due to the lack of resources.  I‘m placing no blame on AL for relegation this season unless he doesn’t have a plan for either league that we might be in.  However if he hasn’t even budgeted for the possibility of relegation then his tenure here isn’t going to be a happy one and probably fairly short.

Money

I don’t expect us to splash the cash, but I do expect there to be a clear plan in how we’re going to invest in the squad.  Whether it’s experienced players from the lower leagues, youngsters from premier league and championship clubs, stars from non-league, a foreign invasion or a combination of all of them, I’m not too bothered what our philosophy is as long as it’s clear and obvious about how we implement it.

Manager

I’m slightly indifferent towards Wellens.  It’s been a turbulent season but relegation would certainly count as a failure due to the resources he’s had and the players who we’ve had.  I like him and if we gave him a chance at the start of next season then I wouldn’t be too unhappy, but I could totally understand if AL wanted to go in a different direction.

Players

I doubt we’ll be keeping Kean Bryan either way, Doyle will probably only stay if we’re in League One and I’d say we still have a decent chance of keeping Byrne due to his contract and still not being proven enough for League One clubs and above to pay a big chunk of money for him.  After that I’d take it or leave it with most of the rest of the squad.  

Home crowds

The biggest negative is that we would lose some big away followings, but I doubt our home crowd would drop dramatically.  A promotion push might even increase numbers.

Away trips

I’m based in the South and there are more Southern teams in our league, but there aren’t loads of big teams or new grounds for me which would be a disappointment.

All in all relegation wouldn’t be great, but I think the tests for AL would be pretty similar regardless of which division we’re in.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Ownership

The most crucial aspect when it comes to the effects of our relegation.  I would’ve been worried if we went down in recent years with Corney calling the shots because there would’ve been next to no chance of getting back up due to the lack of resources.  I‘m placing no blame on AL for relegation this season unless he doesn’t have a plan for either league that we might be in.  However if he hasn’t even budgeted for the possibility of relegation then his tenure here isn’t going to be a happy one and probably fairly short.

Money

I don’t expect us to splash the cash, but I do expect there to be a clear plan in how we’re going to invest in the squad.  Whether it’s experienced players from the lower leagues, youngsters from premier league and championship clubs, stars from non-league, a foreign invasion or a combination of all of them, I’m not too bothered what our philosophy is as long as it’s clear and obvious about how we implement it.

Manager

I’m slightly indifferent towards Wellens.  It’s been a turbulent season but relegation would certainly count as a failure due to the resources he’s had and the players who we’ve had.  I like him and if we gave him a chance at the start of next season then I wouldn’t be too unhappy, but I could totally understand if AL wanted to go in a different direction.

Players

I doubt we’ll be keeping Kean Bryan either way, Doyle will probably only stay if we’re in League One and I’d say we still have a decent chance of keeping Byrne due to his contract and still not being proven enough for League One clubs and above to pay a big chunk of money for him.  After that I’d take it or leave it with most of the rest of the squad.  

Home crowds

The biggest negative is that we would lose some big away followings, but I doubt our home crowd would drop dramatically.  A promotion push might even increase numbers.

Away trips

I’m based in the South and there are more Southern teams in our league, but there aren’t loads of big teams or new grounds for me which would be a disappointment.

All in all relegation wouldn’t be great, but I think the tests for AL would be pretty similar regardless of which division we’re in.

Some decent points well made Harry, but relegation needs to be avoided at all costs! It's a slippery slope!

Football changes so quickly these days. In May 2015, MKD were promoted to the Championship, Chesterfield and Swindon were both in the play offs.

Role on 3 years... MKD will be relegated to league 2, Chesterfield to the National League and Swindon a club in disarray struggling in mid table L2.

We need to be careful what we wish for, and just put in 2 fucking good performances and start again next season.

Oh for 17th place!!

• Like 1

It may be a bitter pill to swallow but the reality of our situation is that we have for some years been a league 1 club with an average league 2 home following.  We have not liked being at the wrong end of league 1but Corney kept us in that division.  He has gone and look at us now!

If we go down the most likely outcome is that we will be an average league 2 side who one day will flirt with relegation from the Football League.

2 minutes ago, Hands on said:

It may be a bitter pill to swallow but the reality of our situation is that we have for some years been a league 1 club with an average league 2 home following.  We have not liked being at the wrong end of league 1but Corney kept us in that division.  He has gone and look at us now!

If we go down the most likely outcome is that we will be an average league 2 side who one day will flirt with relegation from the Football League.

Yeah Corney did an amazing job of taking us from the top half of league one to perennial strugglers and the crowds dwindled along with that.  His biggest legacy is convincing people like yourself that we should feel lucky to be In this division. The fact we are getting relegated is nothing to do with him and all down to AL. 

Or was your post some kind of sick twisted joke and I’ve missed it ? 

52 minutes ago, Hands on said:

When Corney took over our crowds we about 2000 higher. Or about £50 000 in pay on the day adults.

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

When Corney took over our crowds we about 2000 higher. Or about £50 000 in pay on the day adults.

Thats being a tad selective dont you think... the crowds a few years earlier where a lot lower. It’s only because CM spent money we didn’t have that we had a burst of form and crowds increased.   If the Three hadn’t turned up our crowds would have been zero in 2005.  I do wish we would stop whining about the past and look forward. 

21 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Thats being a tad selective dont you think... the crowds a few years earlier where a lot lower. It’s only because CM spent money we didn’t have that we had a burst of form and crowds increased.   If the Three hadn’t turned up our crowds would have been zero in 2005.  I do wish we would stop whining about the past and look forward. 

And a few years before that they were higher.

Selective.

Past.

Whining.

If.

On 28/04/2018 at 11:35 AM, Monty Burns said:

The "Corney has cost us X amount of fans" argument makes me laugh. 

The sleeping thousands have never met the club half way, as shown in the attendance when there's been an offer on. 

Even if their requirements are met, they'll just think of another reason not to go.

25 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The "Corney has cost us X amount of fans" argument makes me laugh. 

The sleeping thousands have never met the club half way, as shown in the attendance when there's been an offer on. 

Even if their requirements are met, they'll just think of another reason not to go.

Unfortunately, the requirement is success. Something we have had very little of in recent history.

10 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It isn't success; it is cause for optimism.

This.  Its why many drifted away.  The idea any Oldham has ever demanded success is laughable.  You do need hope though.   TTA failed dreams resulting in no land, no money and that stand we dont own pretty much finished off any hope many had.  

You all need to hold this new owner to account and get him to say what his plans are now.   Has he said anything yet?

On 4/25/2018 at 12:07 PM, Kusunga_Is_God said:

In the likely event of our relegation we’re going to suffer a lot. 

The summer will will have to be a total re-build operation. I presume players will be sold/ moved on. Can’t see Byrne Doyle etc. wanting to play 4th division football...

Attendances will drop to new time lows with the prospect fixtures of Morecambe, Forest Green and Colchester. 

Very rarely do teams bounce back. Only team I can remember doing it was Doncaster but they kept their team and staff in place and won the league fairly easily. Other sides who are similar to ourselves in size and attendance (Yeovil, Crewe, Colchester) have seriously struggled.

I only see another dark 5-10 years ahead. 

We have to hope for a miracle that Oxford and Charlton beat Dale and Northampton don’t catch up. 

I can only echo this. I can't see how we're going to challenge to get back up with the current shambles behind the scenes.

• 1 month later...